AAC Tourney: Memphis guaranteed a night game | The Boneyard

AAC Tourney: Memphis guaranteed a night game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not sure if any other conference tournaments do this for host schools.

In another sign of how things have changed since the Huskies’ days in the old Big East, the schedule for the AAC’s postseason tournament March 12-5 at the FedExForum could be adjusted at the last moment to make sure the host school, Memphis, plays in the night session.

The bracket won’t change - it will follow the usual No. 1 vs. No. 8, No. 2 vs. No. 7, etc. format - but the two halves of the bracket will be flipped if necessary in order to put the Tigers in a night game during Thursday’s quarterfinals.

http://instorrsnow.wordpress.com/2014/01/22/aac-will-give-memphis-night-game-in-tourney/

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
From the AAC ...

That's what is in writing.

What is not in writing? Translation, let's give Memphis all the home cooking needed to make to the championship game with fan attendance and don't forget the refs.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
This is ridiculous. Just increases the chances of UConn playing during the afternoon and people not being able to watch because of work.

If the tourney moves up to CT next year do we get the same treatment? Temple in Philly?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
This is ridiculous. Just increases the chances of UConn playing during the afternoon and people not being able to watch because of work.

If the tourney moves up to CT next year do we get the same treatment? Temple in Philly?
How exactly does it do that? It's far too early to tell and at this point, it's a crap shoot dependent on seeding. 1 vs 8/9/or 10 and 4 vs 5 will play one session. 2 vs. 7/8/or 9 and 3 vs 6 in the other. Currently UConn is seeded 6 and Memphis is seeded 4.

But here's the kicker: UConn and Memphis have 12 and 13 league games left, respectively, and 1/2 game separate the 4 and 6 seeds.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
So what, big freaking deal. Would you rather UCF play Houston in front of 327 people in the " primetime" matchup?

Not to be cocky but Winning in Memphis didn't seem to be an issue last week, so we know we can do it.

Reaction Score
Whatever, it may have zero affect if Memphis would be in the night session anyway, if not it moves either us, SMU, Cincy, or Lville to the afternoon, not a big deal

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
How exactly does it do that? It's far too early to tell and at this point, it's a crap shoot dependent on seeding. 1 vs 8/9/or 10 and 4 vs 5 will play one session. 2 vs. 7/8/or 9 and 3 vs 6 in the other. Currently UConn is seeded 6 and Memphis is seeded 4.

But here's the kicker: UConn and Memphis have 12 and 13 league games left, respectively, and 1/2 game separate the 4 and 6 seeds.

I guess I am not sure if the odds change, but UConn probably won't be playing Memphis until at least the semi-finals so this leaves one slot available at night instead of 2.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Whatever, it may have zero affect if Memphis would be in the night session anyway, if not it moves either us, SMU, Cincy, or Lville to the afternoon, not a big deal
I guess I am not sure if the odds change, but UConn probably won't be playing Memphis until at least the semi-finals so this leaves one slot available at night instead of 2.
As if UConn never played in the day session when they were in the Big East?

Evidence to the contrary: UConn was the 1 seed in 1999 and played the second game of the afternoon session. I remember because I was forced to miss the second half due to a conflicting quiz (Management 243 if memory serves). Our Professor kept giving us updates though. It was the game Kevin Freeman went off vs. Seton Hall.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
For purely selfish reasons I usually hope for the night slot during the conference tourney so I don't have to use time off to watch the game(s).

Its probably not a big deal as long as UConn takes care of business, and we get a bye

Husky25

Reaction Score
For purely selfish reasons I usually hope for the night slot during the conference tourney so I don't have to use time off to watch the game(s).

Its probably not a big deal as long as UConn takes care of business, and we get a bye

So you agree that its not just one more example of UConn getting screwed...Good. that makes more sense. Now we are on the same page.

Quick Digression.
It has always baffled me when they call it a bye and that many teams don't play. If more than half the league doesn't play in a particular round, they don't get a bye. The other 4 teams play a play-in game. I know publicly they are saying that 60 teams get a first round bye in the NCAA tournament, but listen to how stupid that sounds. 60 TEAMS!! Call it what ever you want, the games on the first Tuesday are play-ins for inclusion of the main field. Period.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
So you agree that its not just one more example of UConn getting screwed...Good. that makes more sense. Now we are on the same page.

I don't think UConn is getting screwed and I understand why the league is doing this. In all honestly it probably benefits everyone.

That being said, don't you think it sucks that we play in a league that needs to do this to make sure people show up for the games? Isn't kinda crappy that Memphis not only gets to play at home but also gets preferential treatment for scheduling?

It's more of a realization of what kind of league we actually play in now as opposed to a feeling of UConn getting screwed.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I don't think UConn is getting screwed and I understand why the league is doing this. In all honestly it probably benefits everyone.

That being said, don't you think it sucks that we play in a league that needs to do this to make sure people show up for the games? Isn't kinda crappy that Memphis not only gets to play at home but also gets preferential treatment for scheduling?

It's more of a realization of what kind of league we actually play in now as opposed to a feeling of UConn getting screwed.
Using that line of thought, didn't St. Johns get preferential treatment during the Barkley, Charles, Artest days? The Johnnies are a crapshow now, but at one point in the mid 90's -mid00s, they were a viable program. MSG was a second home for their big games.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Using that line of thought, didn't St. Johns get preferential treatment during the Barkley, Charles, Artest days? The Johnnies are a crapshow now, but at one point in the mid 90's -mid00s, they were a viable program. MSG was a second home for their big games.

They got to play at home, but they didn't get to choose what time they played at. Also, it was MSG and every school in the league was willing to give them that advantage to play there.

I am hoping the AAC tourney gets moved around to different locations.

Reaction Score
I imagine that not only will Memphis get an evening session, but it will probably be the "primetime" one at that. It just makes sense that you want the biggest draw, which they are as the home team, to play in the prime slot. You see it in all kinds of tournaments. At least in the first round, that is SOP.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Technically, doesn't playing the night game give you less rest for the games the next day?

As weak as that is, so is the advantage Memphis gains.

Husky25

Reaction Score
They got to play at home, but they didn't get to choose what time they played at. Also, it was MSG and every school in the league was willing to give them that advantage to play there.

I am hoping the AAC tourney gets moved around to different locations.

If memory serves, they played in primetime quite a bit. I do not recall if it was by design or not. I don't think it was ever publicized. From the early 90's until the early oo's, they always seemed to be in the mix as a 2nd or 3rd seed. When they made it during the oo's it was as a low seed and those games were typically prime time, IIRC.

I wouldn't mind if the tournament rotated to the reigning champion's home arena, or if a school's primary home doesn't have adequate capacity (say at least...12,000), then it can be held at an area arena that does. Cincinnati, UConn (XL Center), Memphis, and Tulane all meet this criteria. Possibilities for the other schools include Raleigh Entertainment and Sports Arena (East Carolina) Reliant Arena (Houston), Ice Palace Arena (USF), American Airlines Center (SMU), Wells Fargo Center (Temple), BOK Center (Tulsa), and the Amway Center (UCF).

Every one of these alternate arenas, except for Raleigh is a stone's throw away from the host school. Even then, Raleigh is within an hour and a half from Greenville, NC.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog