AAC Tourney Matchups | The Boneyard

AAC Tourney Matchups

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I realize it's hard to be positive about the team after our last two games. We haven't won four consecutive games this season (unless you count the exhibitions), and now we're tasked with winning four straight to make the NCAA Tournament.

However, if the end goal was always winning the AAC Conference Tournament in order to make the NCAAs, starting from the six seed may have been just what we needed. Think back to last year's NCAA tournament. We were under-seeded, but our matchups were favorable. The same will likely be the case for this year's conference tournament. With the tournament in Hartford, all of these games will be home games, with (hopefully) an electric crowd cheering on the team in what amount to play-in games. We all remember the advantage we had at MSG. That advantage should be even more pronounced in Hartford. We are 6-1 at the XL Center with our lone loss to Temple, when Boatright missed the majority of the game. For whatever reason, almost all of our best games this season have come in Hartford.

There are two major games that will affect seeding, both tomorrow. Tulsa plays at SMU to determine the 1/2 seeds, and Memphis plays at Cincinnati. If Cincinnati wins, they claim the 3 seed, if they lose, Temple gets the 3. I'd say the most likely scenario is that SMU and Cinci win at home, giving them the 1 and 3 seeds respectively.

Our first game will likely be against Houston. Perhaps this could be the confidence boosting win we need. We have gone 7-1 against the bottom half of the league, and at home, I can't see us falling to Houston again.

If seeds hold and we keep winning, our next matchups would be Cinci, then Tulsa, then SMU; all teams we have beaten in Hartford this season.

It's a tall task for a team that has been agonizingly inconsistent, but playing in front of a home crowd, it's at least feasible. As others have said, we need to pack the XL Center. I'm not ready to give up on our Huskies just yet.

Reaction Score
Good post. With USF losing today, I believe we play them Thursday night. So our path could be: USF, Cincy, Tulsa and SMU. We beat those 4 teams in Hartford already this year. Better path than the 5 seed, but an extra game. Should have a better crowd Friday night if they get there than they would have had Friday afternoon.

Reaction Score
Good post. With USF losing today, I believe we play them Thursday night. So our path could be: USF, Cincy, Tulsa and SMU. We beat those 4 teams in Hartford already this year. Better path than the 5 seed, but an extra game. Should have a better crowd Friday night if they get there than they would have had Friday afternoon.
It does make it more likely we get to 20 wins. But I don't think this team has the depth to win 4 games.

Reaction Score

You're correct, it will be USF. I knew we played the 11 seed, but thought there were 12 teams in the conference. So if seeds hold, we will have beaten all of our potential opponents in Hartford this year. Hopefully we can beat them all again!

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
I'm looking at Thursday as a big confidence booster this team needs to build momentum. I'd prefer the Cincy, Tulsa and SMU route although an upset to the latter wouldn't be a bad thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom