AAC thinking of adding hoops only schools | Page 2 | The Boneyard

AAC thinking of adding hoops only schools

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Solution to what? Explain what it solves?
To crap home attendances and our conference being dumped on in basketball perception.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I don't care that this would add nothing in terms of P5. Some of us like watching good basketball teams.

This league could be extinct if we make these additions? Good.

Payout is what, 2 mil. a year? That's already a death sentence. There is no real difference in a drop to 1.5 mil. and I think this is a weak argument.

That's exactly the reason we are where we are now. Idiots running the Big East like Tranghese and Marinatto, clinging to the old school idea that basketball matters so they only represented the interests of the BB schools. Putting football and basketball schools together again in the same conference will just kill the conference. SMH

UConnNick

Reaction Score
To crap home attendances and our conference being dumped on in basketball perception.

You really think adding VCU, Dayton and Wichita State will cause a miraculous increase in our overall home attendance? We have zero history with any of those schools. They'll all be greeted with a collective yawn from UConn BB fans, just like Memphis and the rest of the AAC teams that were never in any league with UConn.

As for perception, let me say it once again: the perception doesn't matter because BB doesn't matter. If you want home BB games that matter and would move the attendance needle, it's P5 or bust. Adding three mid majors to the AAC provides zero help in that regard.

Reaction Score
That's exactly the reason we are where we are now. Idiots running the Big East like Tranghese and Marinatto, clinging to the old school idea that basketball matters so they only represented the interests of the BB schools. Putting football and basketball schools together again in the same conference will just kill the conference. SMH

Can you at least make an argument for your case? I can't see how this would hurt anything, but I am willing and open to being swayed. I think we all realize that basketball doesn't matter. But I can't see how this potential move would hurt football.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
You really think adding VCU, Dayton and Wichita State will cause a miraculous increase in our overall home attendance? We have zero history with any of those schools. They'll all be greeted with a collective yawn from UConn BB fans, just like Memphis and the rest of the AAC teams that were never in any league with UConn.

As for perception, let me say it once again: the perception doesn't matter because BB doesn't matter. If you want home BB games that matter and would move the attendance needle, it's P5 or bust. Adding three mid majors to the AAC provides zero help in that regard.
BB does matter in perception (see the Big East potentially getting SEVEN bids this year). As far as attendance, I am positive Wichita State and VCU will bring in more people than Tulane and ECU.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
Don't give a crap about football.

I want to see better basketball. Wichita State, VCU and Dayton means that. The football stadium could fall down and I wouldn't lose a wink of sleep. Ever.

The only way you're ever going to see marquee name college BB teams regularly playing us in Connecticut again is if UConn joins a P5 conference. The only way that happens is if our football program improves to a point where we become more attractive as a P5 member. Anything short of that and UConn ends up consigned to a lower tier eventually, along with ALL the other mid majors, because the P5 schools are going to either form their own division under the NCAA or form their own association and leave the NCAA. If we're not on their side of the table by then, get used to a steady diet of Tulanes, Tulsas and East Carolinas.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
The only way you're ever going to see marquee name college BB teams regularly playing us in Connecticut again is if UConn joins a P5 conference. The only way that happens is if our football program improves to a point where we become more attractive as a P5 member. Anything short of that and UConn ends up consigned to a lower tier eventually, along with ALL the other mid majors, because the P5 schools are going to either form their own division under the NCAA or form their own association and leave the NCAA. If we're not on their side of the table by then, get used to a steady diet of Tulanes, Tulsas and East Carolinas.
Dream on. If the P5 schools do either of those things, expect a hefty amount of anti-trusts lawsuits.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
Dream on. If the P5 schools do either of those things, expect a hefty amount of anti-trusts lawsuits.

If you prefer to remain blind to this very real possibility, I don't know what to tell you. Let me guess, were you also convinced that the old Big East would never split up until it did?

Reaction Score

No, they're not. P5 needs the G5 and vice versa. Less than the G5 needs them, but they're useful. Plus speculation, law suits.... it's not going anywhere.

Contrary to popular belief, Villanova is still a pretty good basketball program that doesn't have football and somehow the school not only still exists, but it's pretty well respected, too. Shocking, but true.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
If you prefer to remain blind to this very real possibility, I don't know what to tell you. Let me guess, were you also convinced that the old Big East would never split up until it did?
I'm not blind to anything. I am cynical usually. The P5 isn't leaving. Wake Forest isn't going to want to go 1-11 in football and 12-18 in basketball every year when the Tier 3 rights are split up and they get almost nothing. What will probably happen is a further consolidation at the top (P5>P4), but they won't split off.

Reaction Score
I'm not blind to anything. I am cynical usually. The P5 isn't leaving. Wake Forest isn't going to want to go 1-11 in football and 12-18 in basketball every year when the Tier 3 rights are split up and they get almost nothing. What will probably happen is a further consolidation at the top (P5>P4), but they won't split off.

BUT WHAT ABOUT P3 AND P2 THO?

AND P-PIED AND P-Q'D?

Can't wait for our weekly LSU vs. Alabama game. It'll be just like the Cosby Show.

The P5 tournament will be awesome to sell without upsets and basically everything that makes the other tournament marketable and enjoyable to watch for most fans and most certainly non-traditional fans.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
No, they're not. P5 needs the G5 and vice versa. Less than the G5 needs them, but they're useful. Plus speculation, law suits.... it's not going anywhere.

Contrary to popular belief, Villanova is still a pretty good basketball program that doesn't have football and somehow the school not only still exists, but it's pretty well respected, too. Shocking, but true.

Lawsuits? Oooh, I'll bet the Michigans, Alabamas and Oregons are real worried about lawsuits. Were there any lawsuits when they wrestled control of their football TV rights away from the NCAA? Were there lawsuits when they formed the CFA? Were there lawsuits when they formed the BCS? Were there lawsuits when they began the CFB four team playoff?

If they want to maximize revenue, particularly with the long term trend looking like a monetary decrease in traditional TV contracts, they'll leave the G5's behind in a New York minute, laughing all the way to their banks. Count on it. You can sue them if you want but they'll win. Those that have the gold make the rules.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Lawsuits? Oooh, I'll bet the Michigans, Alabamas and Oregons are real worried about lawsuits. Were there any lawsuits when they wrestled control of their football TV rights away from the NCAA? Were there lawsuits when they formed the CFA? Were there lawsuits when they formed the BCS? Were there lawsuits when they began the CFB four team playoff?

If they want to maximize revenue, particularly with the long term trend looking like a monetary decrease in traditional TV contracts, they'll leave the G5's behind in a New York minute, laughing all the way to their banks. Count on it. You can sue them if you want but they'll win. Those that have the gold make the rules.
Um...those aren't anti-trust lawsuits. Leaving the other schools behind will bring in the attorney general. Not a smart move.

Reaction Score

Legal case = THEY WON'T LET US BREAK AWAY FROM THEIR OLD MONOPOLY TO FORM ANOTHER

Winner, winner chicken dinner.

Reaction Score
Um...those aren't anti-trust lawsuits. Leaving the other schools behind will bring in the attorney general. Not a smart move.

Well kind of is, but again - if your case is to leave your old monopoly to become a new monopoly because you don't think the old monopoly is being fair to you, then what's better about your new monopoly?

And that's assuming college football stays on it's trajectory - and with youth participation rates down, pro ratings flagging and flat out market saturation, good luck with that.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Well kind of is, but again - if your case is to leave your old monopoly to become a new monopoly because you don't think the old monopoly is being fair to you, then what's better about your new monopoly?

And that's assuming college football stays on it's trajectory - and with youth participation rates down, pro ratings flagging and flat out market saturation, good luck with that.
That's the other thing. The sport could be boxing in 10-15 years.

Reaction Score

Not Blume I hope. He already did enough damage, camera hound.

Reaction Score
Add all three (VCU, Dayton, Wstate) and the AAC turns into an outstanding basketball conference. It already is an outstanding football conference.

and BTW the big conference hybrid model did not destroy the old Big East, that is a myth. The big conference hybrid model made the old Big East the best basketball conference on the planet, so damn good that the other conferences decided it must be destroyed.

When contract time comes just sell the conference in two separate pieces, one basketball, one football that way there is no fighting over money.

Last edited:

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
Len Elmore just referred to the AAC as a mid major conference during the cincinnati Houston game. Smh... how the heck did we end up in this mess???

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Len Elmore just referred to the AAC as a mid major conference during the cincinnati Houston game. Smh... how the heck did we end up in this mess???
This is exactly why we need to pull the NBE method and add the three best schools available to get us to 4-7 bids a year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom