AAC thinking of adding hoops only schools | The Boneyard

AAC thinking of adding hoops only schools

Reaction Score

Still far from any decision but looks like the AAC is kicking the can on some schools. Blauds names Witchita, Dayton and VCU as possible candidates.

I wouldn't mind adding one or 2 from the list. Would certainly help strengthen the conference bball wise.

I would prefer to add Witchita with the ultimate goal of creating a bridge to Gonzaga , And San Diego state.

Reaction Score

Still far from any decision but looks like the AAC is kicking the can on some schools. Blauds names Witchita, Dayton and VCU as possible candidates.

I wouldn't mind adding one or 2 from the list. Would certainly help strengthen the conference bball wise.

I would prefer to add Witchita with the ultimate goal of creating a bridge to Gonzaga , And San Diego state.

Bad idea.

Extends the travel even more. And for what, really?

Also, make no mistake: it adds nothing in terms of money, only takes that away from UConn.

If the AAC is really thinking of doing this, I'd become despondent if I were UConn.

Reaction Score
Unless it is duke unc zona or florida like school then no. Why add mid majors ? Are we the MAC 2.0

The additions of Xavier, Creighton, Butler turned Big East into a very strong bball conference. They were all very strong mid majors that brought great bball value to their conference.

These teams will not give us the same bump but will definitely help strengthen AAC bball wise.

Have to be realistic.

Reaction Score
The additions of Xavier, Creighton, Butler turned Big East into a very strong bball conference. They were all very strong mid majors that brought great bball value to their conference.

These teams will not give us the same bump but will definitely help strengthen AAC bball wise.

Have to be realistic.

I agree Witchita, Dayton and VCU are not the same level

Reaction Score
I agree Witchita, Dayton and VCU are not the same level

They are closer than you think. Xavier is in front but after that is a jumble IMO.

This improves the basketball quality so why not? We aren't fooling anyone into thinking this a a big boy league as is. Give me some more entertaining games and I'll be happy.

Reaction Score
Wait, huh? Wichita isn't a worthwhile addition because why?

Since 2011 they've been to a Final Four, won the NIT Tournament and have been in the NCAA tournament all of those years.

And you'd rather get jacked up for East Carolina. Good. Keep going.

Reaction Score
I'd take VCU and Wichita State in a second as hoops-only members in this conference. UConn, Cincinnati, SMU, Memphis, VCU, Wichita State and Houston is a pretty darn good in-conference slate.

And stop with the travel issues thing. For SMU, Houston and Memphis, Wichita would be a good thing.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
I would rather build up the teams in our league than add more mouths to feed. I think it will take time and patience from everyone

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

Have to be realistic.

It's all about football, not basketball. Adding BB only mid majors solves nothing.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Dayton and VCU are closer than 3/4 of all the AAC teams to UConn
I like Dayton and VCU puts a competitive team on the floor
WSU is a really good basketball school but would rather see adding another Eastern USA team

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Add all three. We just need to hold out until the Big 12 implodes in five or so years and we are "stuck" playing in a conference with Kansas and West Virginia. The football in the AAC is fine for the next few years. The problem is basketball. If we add all three (VCU, WSU, Dayton), our conference RPI will go up and we won't play as many games against the USF, Tulane, and ECU's of the world.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
When will UConn BB fans finally get that BB means absolutely nothing in terms of the P5 or advancing any contracts for future media rights? Adding three mid majors to a mid major conference? Oh boy, won't that make the P5s and networks take notice! :rolleyes:

All it would do is water down our already paltry AAC payout. Also, we haven't exactly lit this snowshow of a league on fire since its inception. Let's add three more teams we will struggle to beat. Not to mention that mixing football and non-football schools together in the same league doomed the old Big East into extinction.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
When will UConn BB fans finally get that BB means absolutely nothing in terms of the P5 or advancing any contracts for future media rights? Adding three mid majors to a mid major conference? Oh boy, won't that make the P5s and networks take notice! :rolleyes:

All it would do is water down our already paltry AAC payout. Also, we haven't exactly lit this snowshow of a league on fire since its inception. Let's add three more teams we will struggle to beat. Not to mention that mixing football and non-football schools together in the same league doomed the old Big East into extinction.
You don't get it. The ACC isn't adding anyone for a long time as ND would have to give up independence. The Big 10 won't allow us in without AAU status. The Big 12 could lose some members, and if they do, we will get picked. This is a short term solution for the next five or so years until a weakened Big 12 comes calling.

Reaction Score

I don't care that this would add nothing in terms of P5. Some of us like watching good basketball teams.

This league could be extinct if we make these additions? Good.

Payout is what, 2 mil. a year? That's already a death sentence. There is no real difference in a drop to 1.5 mil. and I think this is a weak argument.

Reaction Score
You don't get it. The ACC isn't adding anyone for a long time as ND would have to give up independence. The Big 10 won't allow us in without AAU status. The Big 12 could lose some members, and if they do, we will get picked. This is a short term solution for the next five or so years until a weakened Big 12 comes calling.
You probably hit the nail on the head here. If Texas and Oklahoma hit the road, how many teams would the B12 add, and who would they be? I think Houston, Cincy, UConn, and the Florida schools would be first in line. Would the Big 10 swoop in and take Kansas? Would BYU want in? Boise? Obviously, there would be no seat at the table for ECU, Tulsa, and Tulane.
As for adding some hoops only schools to the AAC, why not? The problem with the BE is that the league was evenly split, which led to a power struggle. In this situation, the new schools would know their place.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
At this point, who really cares what they do with this conference, it's a mess either way.

Reaction Score
Don't give a crap about football.

I want to see better basketball. Wichita State, VCU and Dayton means that. The football stadium could fall down and I wouldn't lose a wink of sleep. Ever.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
why are we looking to play tougher competition again? Head bang

UConnNick

Reaction Score

Solution to what? Explain what it solves?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom