AAC Teams Keeping Coaches | The Boneyard

AAC Teams Keeping Coaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
I haven't seen a thread on this yet so thought I would post something.

I'm fairly impressed that with the exception of Memphis / Fuentes, that AAC teams are managing to keep their coaches from being poached by other programs (mostly P5).

- It was on Twitter today that Ken Niumatalolo is staying at Navy instead of bolting for BYU
- Herman gets his raise and extension at Houston after being mentioned for a plethora of jobs
- Rhule gets a raise and extension at Temple after talking with Mizzou
- Taggart gets an extension after being considered by South Carolina

What does this mean? I think a lot of coaches are realizing that some P5 jobs pay more but they lead to dead end career paths in very challenging situations. Also, that AAC schools seem to be willing to pony up for coaches (and assistant pools and facilities, etc) to stay competitive.

This year was a very good one for AAC football - if the league can manage to keep its successful coaches in the conference, there is a chance that the league continues to improve upon its spot as the "best of the G5" and maybe some dialogue can start down the road about the P6.

Reaction Score
Herman, Rhule and Taggart still can bolt. But all were certainly wise to stay where they are for the money they are being paid. Fuente was offered by Memphis as much as Virginia Tech is paying him. This conference is obviously emphasizing football.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Herman, Rhule and Taggart still can bolt. But all were certainly wise to stay where they are for the money they are being paid. Fuente was offered by Memphis as much as Virginia Tech is paying him. This conference is obviously emphasizing football.

Or they can get canned. Taggart was on the hot seat as recently as a month and a half ago. But these first steps are positive ones in terms of school commitment and coaches willingness to go with it.

Reaction Score
The next TV contract is critical in determining whether guys like Diaco stay with this league(as the schools can or can't afford the pay increases) and the bowl weeks are critical as far as perception and leverage when that next negotiation comes. I also think for UConn to hold onto Diaco long term they will have to revamp the stadium to make it B1G compliant.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
The next TV contract is critical in determining whether guys like Diaco stay with this league(as the schools can or can't afford the pay increases) and the bowl weeks are critical as far as perception and leverage when that next negotiation comes. I also think for UConn to hold onto Diaco long term they will have to revamp the stadium to make it B1G compliant.

Completely agree re: new TV contract.

Assuming Diaco can keep the upwards momentum (i.e. Bowl, next season), I would assume that UConn would put a pretty good foot forward in terms of trying to keep him, similar to what they did with Ollie after the NC. A stadium revamp is a wholly different ballpark though I'd imagine.

Reaction Score
I still don't understand ECU dumping Ruffin McNeill. They had a generally solid season after losing their starting quarterback at the beginning of the season. And while they got a young assistant from Duke I understand their assistant pay pool is very low. I hope they can continue their successes but wonder if their AD is interfering too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom