AAC revenue report illustrates league's need for more lucrative television contract in next cycle | The Boneyard

AAC revenue report illustrates league's need for more lucrative television contract in next cycle

Reaction Score
AAC revenue report illustrates league's need for more lucrative television contract in next cycle

>>The conference reported $74.47 million in total revenue for the 2016-17 fiscal year, the most recent documents available and obtained by the Orlando Sentinel.

Those figures are down slightly — 6 percent — from the previous year, during which the league reported $79.297 million in total revenue. <<

>>According to the records, the American earned $42.179 million in postseason tournaments, including money generated from the NCAA Tournament, revenue from appearances in bowl games and a share of the College Football Playoff as mandated by the playoff management group.

The league received more than $20 million in revenue from its television and radio rights shared over a variety of networks, including ESPN and CBS Sports. The conference’s current media rights deal ends in 2020.<<

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
In 2016-17, South Florida received $8.877 million from the AAC, followed by UConn($8.088 million), Cincinnati ($7.659 million), Houston ($5.410 million), Tulsa ($4.937 million) and Temple ($4.920 million). USF, UConn and Cincinnati are still receiving payments as part of the $70 million in exit fees for being former members of the Big East Conference, according to the Hartford Courant. Memphis ($4.684 million), UCF ($4.042 million) East Carolina ($3.737 million), SMU($3.701 million), Tulane ($3.587 million) and Navy ($2.623 million) account for the rest of the league’s revenue breakdown.

Not a lot, is it? Still, with our Nike and IMG money, we are doing okay. If we had P5 TV money, we'd be doing very well.

Reaction Score
We’ve established ourselves as a nationally relevant and respected conference and now it’s a question of let’s make sure that results in a TV deal that we need to keep this going. It’s a mixture of exposure and revenue.”

Hope you can make it happen Mike.

Also did not know he is making almost 2 million a year as conference commish. Thought he was making a mil. Not bad scratch for G5.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
We’ve established ourselves as a nationally relevant and respected conference and now it’s a question of let’s make sure that results in a TV deal that we need to keep this going. It’s a mixture of exposure and revenue.”

Hope you can make it happen Mike.

Also did not know he is making almost 2 million a year as conference commish. Thought he was making a mil. Not bad scratch for G5.

I’m just afraid we’ll get low balled since we’re so desperate for a revenue bump. We don’t have much leverage

Reaction Score
I’m just afraid we’ll get low balled since we’re so desperate for a revenue bump. We don’t have much leverage
That's why they pay Aresco the Big bucks. Wonder what other G5 commissioners make? He's a TV guy. He correctly predicted streaming would be a big player going forward. He was a man with a plan let's see what he's got.

Reaction Score
That's why they pay Aresco the Big bucks. Wonder what other G5 commissioners make? He's a TV guy. He correctly predicted streaming would be a big player going forward. He was a man with a plan let's see what he's got.
I'm not optimistic but I sure hope it works out

Reaction Score
the AAC's position is much better now than the last negotiation... There is a demand for content and potentially new suitors. risks go both ways. If the 'normal' bidders low ball, could be opportunity for the likes of Amazon, Netflix, or some other streaming service to get involved.

I trust Aresco's knowledge and experience in this regard. I think his plan for the first deal worked. It didn't get the $'s we needed, but it got the exposure and now the league is arguably in a better position. Obviously, it's this upcoming deal that he will ultimately be judged on.

Reaction Score
If the Big 12 leaves Fox, we could get a solid deal there. Only other good conference they have is pac 12, so we’d get much more air time on accessible channels
Fox has half of the B1G 10 deal.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The Commissioner making ~40% of UConn's take home from the TV (minus Big East settlement) is absurd.

If he doesn't deliver the goods on this round of negotiations, I can't see how the schools can justify his salary.

Imagine that, $2M/year to go on the radio and say we're Power6 and people actually lauding it with praise "at least he's doing something!".

Reaction Score
UCF AD thinks new AAC TV deal will be ‘on par’ with Power 6

>>“I don’t know how the first five years of our conference could have gone any better, with across-the-board success, particularly in football,” White said. “Whether you look at television ratings, competitive success, New Year’s Day bowl wins, we’ve way outperformed. “I think our current deal is way undervalued, and everybody understands that. We’re all really confident we’ll get a much more significant television deal that puts us on par with where we should be, with the Power 6 conferences.”<<

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I'd be happy if they could combine, either Netflix or Amazon and then an ESPN, CBS or even Fox for the other part of the contract. I wouldn't expect $25 million a year, but over $10 million a year plus with UConn keeping its money from say SNY would help as well with weekly coaches show and non-AAC games for all sports.

Reaction Score
The Commissioner making ~40% of UConn's take home from the TV (minus Big East settlement) is absurd.

If he doesn't deliver the goods on this round of negotiations, I can't see how the schools can justify his salary.

Imagine that, $2M/year to go on the radio and say we're Power6 and people actually lauding it with praise "at least he's doing something!".
To be fair, the 1st contract was the 1st contract for a bunch of left overs. As someone said for about 9 of the schools The American has been a "windfall" in terms of revenue. No school has quite gotten it in the pooper like UConn. USF and Cincinnati both came from Conference USA. So for 9 or 11 of the other schools in the league Aresco is a messiah.

The second TV contract will be the true measuring of stick of what kind of chops Aresco has for this job.

Reaction Score
I’d have to imagine the recent NJ case ruling can’t hurt our chances of a better deal right? Our Thursday night games (which have been on ESPN or ESPN2) and other national TV games will have to be getting more eyeballs than before?

I don’t know anything about TV deals but it makes sense in my brain.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom