AAC Outlook 2016 | The Boneyard

AAC Outlook 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
We are 138 days until we kick off against Maine which obviously means its time to break down the entire conference and the pecking order for 2016. Feel free to tell me why I'm wrong:

Favorites:

West- Houston:

With Greg Ward Jr returning and Chance Allen coming back, UH should be extremely good again this year. UH also had the best class in the AAC, pulling in a 5* DT who can be expected to contribute right away and multiple other playmakers on both sides of the ball. Host OU in week 1 at NRG Stadium in Houston- if they win that they are serious contenders for the 2017 CFP Title. UH loses experience on the O-Line which could cost them.

East- Temple:

PJ Walker is back (again?!) and needs to take the next step as a passer to get to the same level as Ward. Rule has done a great job of finding playmakers on O and D through development within their program. As long as Rhule is there I expect the Owls to be winning 8+ games a year. As of now, Temple is a slim favorite to repeat as the champion of the AAC East

Contenders:

USF: With the way Willie Taggert's club finished last year, one would have to assume USF is ready to take another step towards the top of the conference. USF hosts Florida State in a big non-conference game at Raymond James Stadium, if they win that it will go a long way towards their credibility to win the east and potentially crash the NY6

UConn: I think it is fair to put us in this category considering the growth we've seen the past 2 seasons. For us it is really going to come down to how big of a jump the offense makes under Shirreffs. The D is the best in the conference here but for UConn to have any shot at an East division title we are going to need to score 28 ppg in this conference minimum.

Tulsa: Yeah, Tulsa. The Golden Hurricane won 6 games last year and can put up points with anyone. Senior QB Dane Evans looks to lead the offense to even better numbers this year in Phil Montgomery's second season. This is one team that I'm glad UConn doesn't have to play, as I feel their air attack is going to be one of the better passing games in the entire country. They lose Keyaris Garrett which hurts, but in this system it is more of a "who's next" than anything else. Tulsa will be at least an 8 win team this year and has a big opportunity @ Ohio State early in the season.

Question Marks:

Cincinnati: Tuberville has underperformed here almost every season it feels like. With Gunner Kiel back, you have to assume Cincinnati will have the offensive firepower they are known for. The real question is whether they will be able to stop anyone when it matters.

ECU: Breaking in a new coach (still not sure why they got rid of Ruffin) so it is hard to know what to expect. This is a team that on paper probably recruits as well as if not better than most of the other teams in the conference (sans UH). Talent here isn't an issue- the Pirates just need to find consistent QB play.

Memphis: Fuente didn't leave the cupboard bare, but it remains to be seen what the Tigers will do without Paxton Lynch behind center. There are some playmakers here and the Tigers have the schedule to earn national respectability for the second year in a row. Mike Norvell is a very interesting hire here but he is young and unproven as a head coach. Will more than likely remain at least a bowl team.

Navy: This team almost feels destined to just continuously crank out 6+ win teams and remain competitive. Their offense will keep them in most games as it is difficult to prepare for them on a week's notice. Niumatalolo is a hell of a coach and will have this team prepared every week. Discipline discipline discipline for these guys.

A year out from respectability:

Tulane: This team actually has a couple of playmakers, and Willie Fritz might've been the best hire made in the G5 last year, but this season should be tough while they adapt from a more traditional offense to Fritz's shotgun run heavy/option style. Fritz is a winner and will get the most out of this group while laying the foundation for future seasons. 3-4 wins here.

SMU: This was an absolute dumpster fire until last year, when the team at least was able to be competitive for longer stretches of games under Chad Morris. Now in his second year, the Mustangs will look to build on last year and hope for better results. I see the Mustangs as a worse version of Tulsa- they will put up points but will they be able to stop anyone? Could see anywhere from 2-5 wins for this ball club.

And then there was one:

UCF: oh, UCF. Our ConFLiCT buddies. These guys really bottomed out last year and it was hard to watch. You never want to see anyone go 0-12. I actually think Scott Frost will do well here but it will most definitely take time. 2 wins would be a great season here while they try to bounce back and build any sort of positive momentum to sell to recruits.

Well what do you think? Who is too high and who is too low? It should be another great year for the American and I believe the conference winner will most likely be back in the NY6 again (at minimum). The conference continues to get stronger and the national reach/exposure that the American has is huge. Need to win the big game opportunities and it has been proven last year if the conference does that that the league will get respect.

Reaction Score
Nice write up.
Only edit I'd make is switching Temple and USF. I'd put USF as favorite in the East. USF finished strong, have talent coming back, and Willie can coach them up. Temple lost almost their entire Defense, and one of the best LB's in the country. Will be really tough for them to repeat last years success.

Curious to see how Navy is. Losing their QB is huge. He started the past 3 seasons (I think) and was what made them go. Still a tough offense to defend, I'm just glad we are getting them earlier in the season... while still breaking in a new QB.

Reaction Score
I believe UConn will be much improved over last year offensively. They didn't really lose much at all to graduation. They catch a Navy team that can't be as good as they were last year. Also, there are two emotionally charged games on the schedule that should help to shave off some of that chip on the shoulders of every Husky player, fan and alum. Of course I'm talking about BC and the Cuse. Houston will be looking for revenge this year so that is going to be one tough nut to crack trying to pull out a win that week. Temple won't be as strong. They lost some key defensive cogs due to graduation. And really the one question I want to see answered, Can UConn beat Cincy and get that monkey off their back? Cincy is becoming UConn's bitter rival in this league especially after that thrilling AAC basketball tourney classic. Now, whenever a Cincy team lines up against a Husky team no matter the sport there is going to be blood in the eyes and disdain in the heart. I see UConn getting to 8 wins this year and if not winning the East title they will fall one game short of it. UConn and USF to battle for the East, Houston rolling in the West, Houston repeating as AAC champs and another NY6 bowl game.

Also keep in mind that the Big 12 will be making some kind of move to improve their lot in life this year so whatever turmoil that creates for the AAC might have at the very least a distracting effect on some if not all of the league. The Big 12 situation could spark a chain reaction around college football with some AAC teams being the beneficiaries and others the goats. We'll see.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I agree with most of this. Offense is our biggest question mark. We can't play games in the teens or even 20s. We need to score. The defense should be good enough to win a few games but it shouldn't be asked to win every game. We know the usual types of offenses that present problems for our defense and, unfortunately, the conference has gone exactly in that type of direction with its most recent coaching hires.

Sort of offense-related, I want to see our return game VASTLY improved. No more letting balls hit the ground and roll additional yardage. Those are yards that we have struggled getting back on offense in recent seasons. Every yard is precious and we need to improve our starting field position. Maybe Skanes comes in and takes the job over this summer. Maybe Beals?

One thing that I read in DC's article that has me really pumped is the comments from Obi along the lines of the defense is playing faster together in Year 3. Everyone knows their assignments and knows the defense.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
I do a pre-season write up like this every year on all of the teams.
My early thought is pretty similar.
East-
Temple 9-3 (6-2)
USF 8-4 (5-3)
UConn 8-4 (5-3)
Cincy 8-4 (4-4)
ECU 5-7 (4-4)
UCF 3-9 (1-7)

West-
Houston 11-1 (8-0)
Tulsa 8-4 (5-3)
Memphis 5-7 (4-4)
Navy 5-7 (3-5)
SMU 4-8 (2-6)
Tulane 5-7 (2-6)

Houston over Temple.
Houston plays in the Cotton Bowl vs Oklahoma

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I have a feeling this year will be wide open. No one is bringing back a ton of stars from last season.

The league champ might have 4 losses overall. I see a 3 way tie at 6-2 a disticnt possibility. I don't think there is an 11-1 Houston team in this year's group.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Navy is going to have a rough season - they lose 11 starters on offense. I'd say that 4-8 would be impressive. Houston, Temple, USF should be at or near the top. We have potential. Cincy is always in the mix. I would not be surprised to see one school exceed expectations among the rest of the pack. I think the teams with coaching turnover will, in general, struggle. I think 8-4 is very reasonable for our Huskies, and with a few funky bounces we could be special......or 6-6.

Reaction Score
Sooner or later the ball has to start bouncing UConn's way. Even last year, catching Missouri when they were ripe for the picking and not being able to put two TD's on the board to beat them. That's more than just crappy luck. That's the football God's saying, "not your time yet, keep trying".

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
WTF, Butch?

EDIT: Seriously, Mods? I typed double you, tee, , Butch? And you filtered that to "What, Butch"?

Did profanity Friday really get so bad that we can no longer say anything here? Double you, tee, ?!!!

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Sooner or later the ball has to start bouncing UConn's way. Even last year, catching Missouri when they were ripe for the picking and not being able to put two TD's on the board to beat them. That's more than just crappy luck. That's the football God's saying, "not your time yet, keep trying".

Eh, luck goes both ways. Get unlucky against Missouri, and pull out a win that we don't get nine times out of ten versus Houston.

Reaction Score
Eh, luck goes both ways. Get unlucky against Missouri, and pull out a win that we don't get nine times out of ten versus Houston.
Your constant negativity is more a reflection on your own miserable plight than it is on UConn Football woes of the past few years. Go seek professional help.

Reaction Score
Your constant negativity is more a reflection on your own miserable plight than it is on UConn Football woes of the past few years. Go seek professional help.
I don't think what Phil said was unreasonable... We could have just as easily won or lost both the Houston and Mizzou games...

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score

Not sure how that was negative haha. We have a skilled team. I'm just saying that I don't think we have been an incredibly unlucky team. I think things have evened themselves out between lucky and unlucky games.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Pretty impressive stat about Navy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads