AAC, our schedule, record? | The Boneyard

AAC, our schedule, record?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The discussions about our conference and what it's make up is vs others would take a huge dive for you if you look at the Huskies schedule and the potential final win loss numbers.

Reality is between Texas, Duke, Florida and Stanford we need a W or 2. If for some reason we don't we may be sitting on the edge of our seats on selection Sunday like never before. And that's only if our Huskies have NO hiccups in the league. That's beating all of the UCF's, USF's, Tulsa's, East Carolina's, Tulane's etc etc....

We could easily end up 22-8 or worst and with the RPI we will have if there aren't any big wins there may be a problem. And we know on any given night for this team, no team will be a given. I just ran through the schedule and I am a bit worried about this year admittedly. But I also need to tell you that's a good thing because usually I'm wrong and things always work out. Like I said, it's not the first time I've dome this.

Also last year I was correct in my 23-7 prediction on the board. I'm going with 22-8 this year!! Hope that's good enough

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I think we win 2/4 between Texas, Duke, Florida, and Stanford.

From there, you gotta think we drop 1-2 bonehead games in conference. And possibly 3-4 hard fought games between either Tulsa, SMU, Cincinnati, or Memphis.

So I think 22-8 is about right Mau. Then we win the AAC Tournament (since its in Hartford), and we go 25-8. We then grab a 7 seed in the dance.

Reaction Score
I think we all agree they need to go 2-2 or at worst 1-3 v.s. Texas, Duke, Florida and Stanford. This is why Sunday's game is SO HUGE, especially with it being at home. Win that one, and you are already in good shape with the idea that 1 more win against the other 3 puts us in ideal shape. While I don't think Dayton is the kind of win that everyone will talk about all season, it still is a good win against a tournament team from a decent league on a neutral floor which should have a top 40 RPI by the end of the year.

Avoiding the bad loss or losses in league play this year is IMPERATIVE. Those teams include: East Carolina, Tulane, UCF, USF, Houston. We play 8 games against those teams. Have to go 8-0.

I think Temple/Tulsa are in the middle tier of the league, and 4 wins against them would be nice. I worry about the game at Tulsa. While I think both will probably not make the tournament, their RPIs might be hovering around the Top 50/75 as both play good schedules out of league.

That leaves SMU (which will improve once Kennedy arrives) Cincinnati and Memphis. Memphis looks terrible so far, but I think part of that is they have a lot of new players. Not sure what to think of Cincy yet, but their schedule toughens up in December. Best case all 3 of these teams make the tourney. May just be 2 of them though.

Go 2-2 against the big boys out of league, 8-0 against the bottom of the league, 3-1 against the middle and 4-2 against the Top 3. That puts us at 24-6. Then win the conference tournament at home which gets us to 27-6, and 3/4 seed.

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
I want hope and pray we win the first 2 of those games!

First one is at home coming off a loss. They should be motivated and hungry!

Second one is against PUKE and that's all I want for Christmas.
I've been really really good this year!

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score

Let's hope so.......

I used up all my good will last year :oops:

Reaction Score

I hope you've been GREAT. As much as it kills me to say the least likely game to win of these 4 is the Blue Devils.:confused:

Reaction Score
So we've failed to meet expectations, and we've failed by a mile. Why is everyone so afraid to put this on KO?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
So we've failed to meet expectations, and we've failed by a mile. Why is everyone so afraid to put this on KO?
hahahaha you're so persistent about blaming everything on KO you had to dig 5 months back to find this thread

Reaction Score
hahahaha you're so persistent about blaming everything on KO you had to dig 5 months back to find this thread
[3 doors down here without you]
Well, the thread resuscitation was probably unnecessary. We all know expectations were not met.

There seem to be two camps

1. The players are sub-par. Ollie can't be blamed for this.
2. Ollie had a bad season coaching.

I think they are both correct, but I think neither answers the correct question, which is, [cramps tv set] "what is the proper measure of success for a coach?"

I suppose the Kentucky answer to that question would be, "tally the NCs."
Not a realistic measure for most programs/coaches.

So then what is it? I'd say, what players did you get, and, thereafter, what did you get them to do relative to max potential?

Ollie gets a pass on the SC2, TSam, Lubin recruits. JC leaving, ban, and so on. So I can't judge him at all on that aspect.

But I think it's fair to give him a poor grade this year on what he has done with the talent he has had. Not final four talent, to be sure. But we should have 3-5 more wins, IMO.

2014 was a massive outlier on his performance chart [bad company shooting star]. It's hard to know what to make of it, in the rear view mirror. We'll know more in 5 years.

Next year will be very telling.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
[3 doors down here without you]
Well, the thread resuscitation was probably unnecessary. We all know expectations were not met.

There seem to be two camps

1. The players are sub-par. Ollie can't be blamed for this.
2. Ollie had a bad season coaching.

I think they are both correct, but I think neither answers the correct question, which is, [cramps tv set] "what is the proper measure of success for a coach?"

I suppose the Kentucky answer to that question would be, "tally the NCs."
Not a realistic measure for most programs/coaches.

So then what is it? I'd say, what players did you get, and, thereafter, what did you get them to do relative to max potential?

Ollie gets a pass on the SC2, TSam, Lubin recruits. JC leaving, ban, and so on. So I can't judge him at all on that aspect.

But I think it's fair to give him a poor grade this year on what he has done with the talent he has had. Not final four talent, to be sure. But we should have 3-5 more wins, IMO.

2014 was a massive outlier on his performance chart [bad company shooting star]. It's hard to know what to make of it, in the rear view mirror. We'll know more in 5 years.

Next year will be very telling.
im not saying he had a great year, yes it was a bad year but there are reasons outside his control that made this season the way it turned out... we lost three games this year that we would not have lost last year due to the experience we had, also we had a closer... not sayin the loss to houston is acceptable but idk what else ollie can do to have the team get up for every game, maybe press the whole game?... it didnt help that omar, boat, purvis, and im sure im missing someone were not 100% until when? after the temple game? ollies divorce im sure hasn't helped... i do believe it takes a coach around 4-5 years to get the guys he really wants and to implement his system with him( the ban and restrictions didnt help, neither did uconn getting left out of the conference realignment... last year he had the players he wanted in bazz boat daniels and giff. two very smart guards who were able to take over a game and play the pick and roll with daniels, also having a spot up three point shooter that teams had to keep a guy on... next year will be more telling, like you said we'll know more in 5 years...

Reaction Score
And what exactly makes these people's expectations realistic? We lost almost all our best players from a National Championship team. We have freshman and sophomores in most key roles.

Reaction Score
And what exactly makes these people's expectations realistic? We lost almost all our best players from a National Championship team. We have freshman and sophomores in most key roles.
We're Uconn, and we play in the American....

Reaction Score
Kevin sure had some questionable moves but I have always thought our overall talent has been way overrated.

Reaction Score
All coaches have good and bad years. JC certainly had some. And this year was ripe for it: there was huge turnover and key players were either a) Freshmen (Hamilton) or b) coming off surgeries (Brimah, Purvis). Add in that Purvis sat all last year.

Neither Brimah nor Purvis has been what we hoped for this year, but that doesn't discount them going forward. I think both can still be quite good.

But there are still talent problems. Hamilton, Boatright, and Purvis are the only players with the ability to be top contributor-talent on a title team. Omar had it before injuries, but it has yet to come back. Brimah has the raw athleticism, but too many deficiencies as he is.

Next year, Boat will be gone, and Adams will have that talent...but not the experience. While all the players will get better, they need some serious ball-handling and some shooting.

I'm not worried about KO yet, although both this year and last year we lost some games we had no right to (last year, Houston and Stanford, this year too many to count). That is unsettling, but a national title eases that for now. But if we can't start raking in the recruits (2016-2017 will be the real tell...we've been on those kids without restrictions and KO has a title), then I will start to be concerned.

Reaction Score
Neither Brimah nor Purvis has been what we hoped for this year, but that doesn't discount them going forward. I think both can still be quite good.
[led zeppelin stairway to heaven]Brimah is exactly where I thought he'd be.

2014 - 4/2//3 Points, blocks, rebounds. 57% Frees, 64% Field Goal.
2015 - 10/3/5. 64% Frees, 70% from the field.

He's right on pace for a guy who hasn't played much. Not exactly sure why everybody thought he was going to go from 4 points a game to 15, or from 3 boards to 10. And it wasn't the shoulder issue. It's just a question of experience - you can't rush it.

Next year he'll probably be 14/4/8. People will be expecting 20/4/10, I'm sure.

Purvis, on the other hand, has not been what I think everybody expected. 10/3 points/assists with strong ball skills at the 2 and no complete dud games and we have 5 more wins.

Reaction Score

He's right on pace for a guy who hasn't played much. Not exactly sure why everybody thought he was going to go from 4 points a game to 15, or from 3 boards to 10. And it wasn't the shoulder issue. It's just a question of experience - you can't rush it.

Purvis, on the other hand, has not been what I think everybody expected. 10/3 points/assists with strong ball skills at the 2 and no complete dud games and we have 5 more wins.
If DHam isn't spoon feeding him what are the points?

Reaction Score
I don't care who is to blame for this season. I just want improvements to be made in any areas that will help the team be a championship caliber banner raising team in the next decade.

Reaction Score

I think I'd like his defense and rebounding it be better. That's where I thought he would be better.

I know offense often comes more slowly for bigs, so I'm not overly concerned that, without the summer, all he can do is dunk lobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom