AAC Media Contract | Page 3 | The Boneyard

AAC Media Contract

Reaction Score
You think playing on CBSSN is much better? Besides, the big games will still be on ESPN/ESPN2/CBS. Who cares if playing UMKC is on ESPN+? We're not gonna land a recruit because UMKC is on ESPN+? Ok.
Perception matters. Do you think ESPN would ever put UK or Duke on ESPN+ if they were playing UMKC? No. IDK about you, but I believe UConn was on the same level as Duke and probably even better than UK from 1999 through 2014. There is no reason why we should expect Hurley to not be able to get us back there - that's what we are paying him for.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Ya'll complaining about ESPN+ need to relax. Yes, it's $5/mo, so have one less Starbucks for the month. The amount of games you get on there is well worth it (many college sports, Serie A soccer, etc.). If you want to complain about the years/amount of cash, go for it, but ESPN+ should not be something to cry over.

It takes it away from millions of passive viewers and puts it behind a paywall that has a potential audience that is 1/20th the size at best.

I already have it and like it but the diehards paying $5 isn’t the big deal.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Yes, all of that is on top of.

7M media deal
1-2M NCAA tourney
1-2M Bowls
4M apparel contract (i don't remember the exact #)

Then obviously all the self-generated revenue stuff, tickets, merch, etc.

That is marginally better from a revenue standpoint than we thought, but the lack of exposure from having to play ESPN+ could be a death sentence, particularly to football.

I want to wait to see the exact breakdown of games being kicked to ESPN+ before going ape, because this year we played about half our games (~15 games) on SNY/CBS Sports Network, the rest being on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPN News, and CBS. I would imagine that SNY/CBS Sports Network likely get more eye balls than ESPN+, just by the sheer chance of people channel surfing.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So, the $7M is just from the TV deal and excludes the bowl games, NCAA tourney credits, etc.?

I recall in the other thread, we were anticipating the $7M to have included all of that.

My biggest gripe, aside from everything being relegated to ESPN+, is the length of the deal. How could they possibly agree to punting a ton of their content on a service we have no idea will even be relevant?

8.5 million included the tourney credits and bowl revenue in the Memphis presentation. Guessed 6.5 for TV based on that.

Reaction Score
Previous years ESPN peddled the games to CBS sports. I am fairly certain I remember reading that.
AAC wasn't getting paid extra for those games. They were part of the ESPN contract. It sold some of the rights to CBS. There is a totally separate CBS contract for a handful of select games on CBS. Cincinnati played Houston on CBS, there were a few others.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’m going to withhold judgment until more details come out around ESPN+. The way the article was phrased made no sense. If most games are still on ESPN/2/U and we get baseball and soccer on + then that’s good. If more than a couple b-ball and football games are on ESPN+ each year then that’s bad.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Can someone more familiar with the weeds of the current contract explain to me how the current deal with CBS works? I was under the impression CBS was buying excess content from ESPN. But, if those rights are being seperatly negotiated than I’m guessing the total media payout per year will be above 7 million.

CBS buys a half dozen basketball games they put on broadcast CBS. Teams were getting like 100k each on that deal.

ESPN was selling the CBSSN games to them.

calluke

#FreeHat!
Reaction Score
Besides, during the lifetime of this deal, ESPN+ subscribers are only going to shoot through the roof. In 10 years, streaming will out view cable no question.

Agree on the last point. But no guarantee ESPN+ is going to be the leader on that front. Again, I would have rather have seen them partner with Amazon, Twitter, or Youtube. Everyone already uses them and we'd be the only conference with that connection. I would have even taken a little less $ but with the greater chance of exposure.

Reaction Score
It takes it away from millions of passive viewers and puts it behind a paywall that has a potential audience that is 1/20th the size at best.

I already have it and like it but the diehards paying $5 isn’t the big deal.

Exactly. I dont have it and dont want it but now will have to get it because of this crappy deal. Its a slap in the face and these dudes who say who cares they will only play the bad teams there dont get it. Our fanbase for the most part is being told you have to pay to some of your teams games. Its third rate.

We have to get out of this conference.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So if I'm reading this right, our athletic department is now only going to lose $35 million a year? Progress!

It actually nets out to about zero for UConn since we lose the Big East exit fee money going forward that only a handful of schools were getting.

Reaction Score
Perception matters. Do you think ESPN would ever put UK or Duke on ESPN+ if they were playing UMKC? No. IDK about you, but I believe UConn was on the same level as Duke and probably even better than UK from 1999 through 2014. There is no reason why we should expect Hurley to not be able to get us back there - that's what we are paying him for.

We are not Duke or Kentucky. Duke and Kentucky has always been bigger than us, regardless of our success. It is delusional to think we should be kept to the same standards.

I look at Gonzaga as our model. Do they have trouble recruiting? Not today! If we turn into a top-25 program, every single game will be on ESPN/2. They played every game on ESPN, ESPN2 or their RSN (Root Sports). If we are good enough, we won't be put on ESPN+.

Reaction Score
Besides, during the lifetime of this deal, ESPN+ subscribers are only going to shoot through the roof. In 10 years, streaming will out view cable no question.

This is what all the dinosaurs on this board don't get. 5 years from now there will likely be more people watching content "streaming" than subscribing to cable. This deal gives ESPN the flexibility short-term to put the content they want on their networks. If our teams are good we'll get plenty of exposure, if we suck we won't. I don't think people realize how many people these days WON'T pay $100/month or more for a cable subscription (especially the younger generation). People under 35 or 40 are more likely to shell out $60/year to watch their favorite teams than spend $1500/year on cable. If anything this will increase viewership over time. Cable is dying folks, I know some of you guys refuse to believe it, but it's gonna happen sooner than you think.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
We are not Duke or Kentucky. Duke and Kentucky has always been bigger than us, regardless of our success. It is delusional to think we should be kept to the same standards.

I look at Gonzaga as our model. Do they have trouble recruiting? Not today! If we turn into a top-25 program, every single game will be on ESPN/2. They played every game on ESPN, ESPN2 or their RSN (Root Sports). If we are good enough, we won't be put on ESPN+.

uh... espn+ is now our RSN.

Reaction Score
If the play improves there will be a reason to watch, and games will end up on ESPN 1 and 2.

Reaction Score
Most of the UFC content is also on ESPN+ so $5 a month is s good deal and the subscriber numbers will continue to grow.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This is what all the dinosaurs on this board don't get. 5 years from now there will likely be more people watching content "streaming" than subscribing to cable. This deal gives ESPN the flexibility short-term to put the content they want on their networks. If our teams are good we'll get plenty of exposure, if we suck we won't. I don't think people realize how many people these days WON'T pay $100/month or more for a cable subscription (especially the younger generation). People under 35 or 40 are more likely to shell out $60/year to watch their favorite teams than spend $1500/year on cable. If anything this will increase viewership over time. Cable is dying folks, I know some of you guys refuse to believe it, but it's gonna happen sooner than you think.

Yeah and ESPN has 86 million subs and ESPN+ has 2 million subs.

But other than that cable is dead and everyone is streaming sports.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom