AAC makes it tougher to build a team from scratch | The Boneyard

AAC makes it tougher to build a team from scratch

Reaction Score
If we had gotten into the ACC, a rebuild would be a bit easier. Blame Blumenthal for us not getting an invite. At least that's what fans down here in North Carolina were telling me at last Saturday's game. The ACC still harbors a lot of hate over his lawsuit.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If we had gotten into the ACC, a rebuild would be a bit easier. Blame Blumenthal for us not getting an invite. At least that's what fans down here in North Carolina were telling me at last Saturday's game. The ACC still harbors a lot of hate over his lawsuit.

Delete stupid thread from the troll of the month.

Reaction Score
If you watched Blumenthal and his ego displayed on every possible panel news show during the Kavanaugh hearings you can understand why he wanted to push the other protagonists aside to become the face of the ACC lawsuit. He succeeded in morphing a collective effort into the “Connecticut lawsuit”. He blew it.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
If you watched Blumenthal and his ego displayed on every possible panel news show during the Kavanaugh hearings you can understand why he wanted to push the other protagonists aside to become the face of the ACC lawsuit. He succeeded in morphing a collective effort into the “Connecticut lawsuit”. He blew it.
He’s alive! @Nostical

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Which part is not true ?

While Blumenthal is and was a complete moron and egomaniacal idiot, and while the lawsuit was dumb and counterproductive, it was not the "cause" of UConn not getting into the ACC. The main "cause" is and was that we didn't take football seriously enough soon enough. It wasn't Warde eating donuts, or Susan sleeping on the job, or any of the other things people have conjured up as excuses.

We acted small time and were and are perceived as small time as a result.

Reaction Score
Now I understand: Repeating information (unknowingly) and expressing an opinion opposite to yours = trolling.
How shallow. I suggest that YOU are the troll.

Reaction Score
While Blumenthal is and was a complete moron and egomaniacal idiot, and while the lawsuit was dumb and counterproductive, it was not the "cause" of UConn not getting into the ACC. The main "cause" is and was that we didn't take football seriously enough soon enough. It wasn't Warde eating donuts, or Susan sleeping on the job, or any of the other things people have conjured up as excuses.

We acted small time and were and are perceived as small time as a result.
Actually, I would venture to say our rejection included other facilities, such as the baseball stadium or whatever that was. Kids play in better stadiums in collegiate summer leagues.

Other AAC schools are doing fine, I notice, especially the commuter schools.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Actually, I would venture to say our rejection included other facilities, such as the baseball stadium or whatever that was. Kids play in better stadiums in collegiate summer league.

The AAC is a good football league. It's not even a bad basketball league if UConn and Memphis rebound.

Your point is valid. UConn acted like a basketball focused school, like say Providence, for too long. We didn't appreciate the overall commitment required to be what is now a P5. I'm not saying we aren't acting like a P5 now, we mostly are. But we were too late to make those changes and investments.

Remaining General Negatives:
  • Lack of football history and culture
  • Lack of on campus or near campus football stadium
  • Lack of fan support in key sports
  • Baseball stadium/facilities

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
The AAC is a good football league. It's not even a bad basketball league if UConn and Memphis rebound.

Your point is valid. UConn acted like a basketball focused school, like say Providence, for too long. We didn't appreciate the overall commitment required to be what is now a P5. I'm not saying we aren't acting like a P5 now, we mostly are. But we were too late to make those changes and investments.

To his credit Lew Perkins saw the writing on the wall on this issue and tried to fix it. He doesn't get enough credit for that, IMO.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
As for the AAC, the current top 25 has 7 teams with zero losses. Three of them are in the AAC. UCF has finally moved into the top ten.

Reaction Score

We don't have a lack of football history. Baylor didnt have an NFL player till 1939. We had a few in the mid to late 20s.

Reaction Score
As for the AAC, the current top 25 has 7 teams with zero losses. Three of them are in the AAC. UCF has finally moved into the top ten.
And they are all in the same division, which is not good for us. We're winning Columbia-like against Cincinnati.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
We don't have a lack of football history. Baylor didnt have an NFL player till 1939. We had a few in the mid to late 20s.

Nobody cares about that. We played Yankee conference football during the era when football became an important TV draw, and gained national attention. In 1968 schools had to declare themselves the university division or college division. Later that became D1A and D1AA in 1978. Even Holy Cross was in the University division, but UConn was not.

History means history playing at the highest level in the modern era. Nobody cares about Yale's football history either.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Actually, I would venture to say our rejection included other facilities, such as the baseball stadium or whatever that was. Kids play in better stadiums in collegiate summer leagues.

I wonder if Northwest Park in Manchester has ever been talked about as a possible home for the Huskies at least temporarily. It is somewhat new and has pretty nice facilities for concessions and a press box and most importantly lights. Was home to the Manchester Silkworms which was a pretty popular NECBL team back in the day. I think Manchester High plays some games there but they also have a lit field at Mt. Nebo. I think capacity is probably close to J.O.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
This dead horse again? The ACC replaced UConn with Pitt at the suggestion from ESPN after Boston College fought against inviting UConn to defend "its turf". The Carolina schools all wanted UConn but ultimately decided to support their existing conference partner.

Boston College AD: No UConn In ACC; It's A Matter Of "Turf"

Then in 2011, the football schools wanted another corrupt scam school willing to break every law imaginable to win an extra football game to help them gain Playoff access, hence Louisville. But some good came out of that time...UConn was able to improve its all-important APR score to perfect levels without having to re-admit any 30 year olds to boost its scores.

Reaction Score
I think the premise that Blumenthal is the prime reason UConn never got into the ACC is bogus. Not to take anything away from the well-deserved reputation Dick has about being a loud underachiever.

THIS is simple - in my mind. OUR years of never breaking out of our Yankee conference mode hurt our stature as a Prime candidate. We simply moved to the Big East too late. We struggled to get to the right platform and the alternatives were there with stature and tradition - BC, Pitt and Syracuse. We deserve to have a chance to be a Football p5; however, BC shrewdly cut our balls off before we could prove that OUR Brand, OUR Market, OUR Football potential can easily surpass that Chestnut Hill bandbox. Particularly when you look beyond Football.

Louisville? . No way would any other Program/State throw corruption in YUM & PapaJohn facilities like Jurich got the commonwealth of Kentucky to suck it up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom