AAC lawsuit coming? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

AAC lawsuit coming?

Reaction Score
I didn't see the language that allows us to sell broadcast rights to anything not used by Fox. Pretty much got the opposite sense. Where are you seeing that Medic?
It's saying it'll be Fox's choice to either sublicense those games or return them to us for licensing. We're leaving the AAC in large part due to that issue, so I don't think a situation where Fox just eats those games is an option.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It's saying it'll be Fox's choice to either sublicense those games or return them to us for licensing. We're leaving the AAC in large part due to that issue, so I don't think a situation where Fox just eats those games is an option.
Where did you see that language? I missed it. I'll look again tonight but I don't remember it.

Reaction Score
Where did you see that language? I missed it. I'll look again tonight but I don't remember it.
Page 18 under (b)(iii). Says they can choose to return rights to members or give to specified entities. That would be us or SNY, in this case. SNY shows some Seton Hall home games that Fox doesn't want under their current deal

Reaction Score
Page 18 under (b)(iii). Says they can choose to return rights to members or give to specified entities. That would be us or SNY, in this case. SNY shows some Seton Hall home games that Fox doesn't want under their current deal
1561756522941.png

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Thanks. I saw that but I read it as far less of a certainty than you do. You can always give away what you have. There is no language that suggests this is the norm for games that are not broadcast by Fox. There may be a collateral deal or an understanding, but this reads that the rights for any NBE sports are the NBE's to do with what they will.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Fox has the rights to all of our men’s home games and select women’s home games, and can sublicense those at no additional money to us. All the remaining women’s games are with the big east to license out - I’m assuming we’d get a cut like we did in the old big east.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I think lawsuit is pretty common when exiting a conference and it will force folks each side to negotiate. Don’t see a lasting impact here.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
I posted the above on Sunday, so I hope I am not the random person being quoted. If the AAC tried to void a UConn contract with a third party like SNY, then UConn would have a pretty good case of walking with a significantly reduced exit fee. If, as I now suspect, both sides knew this was going to happen for months and the AAC negotiated away the Tier 3 rights because UConn was the only school that cared about them and we weren't going to be around anyway, then we probably owe $10 large.

I don't think whether Aresco knew or didn't know UCONN was leaving anytime before the final results of the contact negotiations for the media deal has any bearing on Aresco's fiduciary duty to all league members. He still owes the duty regardless. What if UCONN or the NBE had changed their minds, and UCONN was staying in the AAC during the forseeable future? Then Aresco deliberately negotiates away UCONN's Tier 3 SNY rights just to be a dick, which he is. I don't think the fiduciary duty ever goes away as long as Aresco is employed under contract.

If this case gets litigated, Aresco is not going to come out of it looking like a good guy...more like a self-dealing, vindictive jackass. I think it gives UCONN a lot of negotiation leeway.

Last edited:

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Aresco: ok, lets negotiate for our TV rights for the next 20 years... we’ve got a large national brand in UConn, UCF has had a nice little run...

ESPN: 7 mil per school.

Aresco: well, we were thinking more...

ESPN: No. btw you will produce it at your own cost and we’ll hide it so no one can see your tire fire.

Aresco: but...!

ESPN: Memphis. Tulane. ECU. Say another word and we cut our offer in half.

Aresco: you drive a hard bargain...

UConnNick

Reaction Score
UConn...if we can't beat you on this court...

UConnNick

Reaction Score
We're gonna beat you in this one!

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Aresco: ok, lets negotiate for our TV rights for the next 20 years... we’ve got a large national brand in UConn, UCF has had a nice little run...

ESPN: 7 mil per school.

Aresco: well, we were thinking more...

ESPN: No. btw you will produce it at your own cost and we’ll hide it so no one can see your tire fire.

Aresco: but...!

ESPN: Memphis. Tulane. ECU. Say another word and we cut our offer in half.

Aresco: you drive a hard bargain...
I’m thinking AAC as Lando Calrissian and ESPN as Darth Vader during the Bespin negotiations.

Reaction Score
Great, let's sue another conference commissioner. I have a better idea why don't we just throw in a couple of college presidents for laughs. It worked so well last time.

Does anyone have Bloomie on speed dial? I'm sure he would want a piece of this.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom