AAC lawsuit coming? | The Boneyard

AAC lawsuit coming?

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Hope it isn't true, but hearing that the Attorney General and the lawyers are investigating the possibility of suing the AAC to get out of the exit fee and waiting period entirely.

Supposedly they are looking in to arguing that the AAC leadership ignored their fiduciary responsibilities in the new media rights contract. UConn agreed to the AAC exit terms and by-laws under the previous media contract. But the new contract actually reduces UConn's revenue, reduces media reach/exposure, and increases expenses (having to pay for their own production costs).

That is why UConn is acting now and not waiting a couple of years to hope for a P5 invite. By doing this now before the new contract begins, they can argue that they should not be held to the conference exit terms as the new contract violates their rights and they want to exit the conference agreement immediately without penalty. If they waited a couple of years to see how things shake out, then they would not be able to make that claim.

I hope this isn't true. Between the Blumenthal lawsuit during the original conference realignment and the Ollie lawsuit, this would be the last thing we would need. Talk about burning bridges and creating enemies and bad reputation for any future conference agreements.

I didn't hear this from an "insider", just some random person. But given the State and University's history, it doesn't seem unrealistic. Hope it is just a false rumor!

Reaction Score
I mean they absolutely 'd us on the TV deal. Pretty much forced our hand into leaving. There will be a good deal of lawyering in both directions, we'll see how it turns out.
Yeah. They forced us to accept 3.5 times what we were getting and twice what our new league pays. I wish someone would force my hand like that

Reaction Score
Yeah. They forced us to accept 3.5 times what we were getting and twice what our new league pays. I wish someone would force my hand like that
That's a wildly stupid take even for you. The $7m includes all TV rights and we have to produce a bunch of our stuff. Big East gives $4m for in-conference men's basketball and some women's. Opportunity for SNY deals which right now in the current AAC model give us ~$2m plus a football deal.

Reaction Score
Current Attorney General William Tong, like Blumenthal, wants to use the office to further his political career. He can later campaign on a -- look how much I saved the taxpayers theme -- even if it means we may lose out on scheduling current conference opponents if we become independent. There may even be a time when we want to reenter the AAC if the new scheme does not work out.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Hope it isn't true, but hearing that the Attorney General and the lawyers are investigating the possibility of suing the AAC to get out of the exit fee and waiting period entirely.

Supposedly they are looking in to arguing that the AAC leadership ignored their fiduciary responsibilities in the new media rights contract. UConn agreed to the AAC exit terms and by-laws under the previous media contract. But the new contract actually reduces UConn's revenue, reduces media reach/exposure, and increases expenses (having to pay for their own production costs).

That is why UConn is acting now and not waiting a couple of years to hope for a P5 invite. By doing this now before the new contract begins, they can argue that they should not be held to the conference exit terms as the new contract violates their rights and they want to exit the conference agreement immediately without penalty. If they waited a couple of years to see how things shake out, then they would not be able to make that claim.

I hope this isn't true. Between the Blumenthal lawsuit during the original conference realignment and the Ollie lawsuit, this would be the last thing we would need. Talk about burning bridges and creating enemies and bad reputation for any future conference agreements.

I didn't hear this from an "insider", just some random person. But given the State and University's history, it doesn't seem unrealistic. Hope it is just a false rumor!
I dont think UConn will pay $10 million out the door. The AAC exposed itself to fiduciary violations when it negotiated away UConn's SNY contract without UConn's approval. That may be enough for UConn to credibly threaten to void the exit fees, whrich would be a strong negotiating position for UConn.

I posted the above on Sunday, so I hope I am not the random person being quoted. If the AAC tried to void a UConn contract with a third party like SNY, then UConn would have a pretty good case of walking with a significantly reduced exit fee. If, as I now suspect, both sides knew this was going to happen for months and the AAC negotiated away the Tier 3 rights because UConn was the only school that cared about them and we weren't going to be around anyway, then we probably owe $10 large.

B12

Reaction Score
It would be interesting to see an apples to apples income in each conference to compare. In the end it appears to be about the same.

Lawsuits could go both ways unless ESPN plays nice, which is doubtful in this situation.

How much are you all thinking the t-3 deal is worth that was taken in the AAC deal?

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
That's a wildly stupid take even for you. The $7m includes all TV rights and we have to produce a bunch of our stuff. Big East gives $4m for in-conference men's basketball and some women's. Opportunity for SNY deals which right now in the current AAC model give us ~$2m plus a football deal.
Might want to read the Media rights addendum on the NBE contract we just signed.

Reaction Score
Might want to read the Media rights addendum on the NBE contract we just signed.
There's a section that directly states the games Fox doesn't want will be able to subliscensed or returned to us for separate licensing. The reason we just left a conference was that we weren't be treated fairly/adequately compensated for our T3 rights. Hard for me to believe we're going to turn around and immediately push over on the same issue.

Reaction Score

I hope they sue Herbst and Benedict personally.

Reaction Score
Where could we find that?
There's a section that directly states the games Fox doesn't want will be able to subliscensed or returned to us for separate licensing. The reason we just left a conference was that we weren't be treated fairly/adequately compensated for our T3 rights. Hard for me to believe we're going to turn around and immediately push over on the same issue.

At the end...

Reaction Score

Do you have a link to the AAC agreement? I have heard that it has a mandatory arbitration provision and a waiver of sovereign immunity If so, the dispute would likely be resolved swiftly.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
good grief. another 'lawyers in love' thread. next? 'accountants in action!' coming to a theater near you. barf. kinda surprised that kevin ollie thing hasn't hit a 100 pages yet, so I guess there's still hope for us. nah, im probably wrong.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Why do you hate UConn?
Waiting 27 months in football wouldn't be the end of the world. It would alleviate 20/21 scheduling woes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom