AAC in national perspective | The Boneyard

AAC in national perspective

Reaction Score
I know the topic of "AAC disrespect" is talked about a ton, but I want to more focus more in on the words of Myron Medcalf in his recent article "Your Ultimate March survival tool". I usually don't have a problem with ESPN calling out the AAC to be weak, but in this instance, Medcalf lumped Cincinnati in with the "the most frustrating/inconsistent teams". The only thing frustrating about Cincy is how they are being discredited for a great season. Calling this Cincy team frustrating and inconsistent is just plain wrong. Yes they don't have a powerhouse offense, which is what Medcalf calls them out for. But they NEVER have a powerhouse offense. And their defense, always tough (always falls in line with the word consistent). This is a team which only lost to 3 top 25 teams, before falling to UCF. That kind of winning is much more consistent than that of a wildly inconsistent Puke team (who Medcalf lumped in with the "better watch these teams if you can" category).

I may not like the fact that UConn can't beat Cincy, but if they make a run in the NCAAs, I'd be happy for the conference. SMU and Cincy have done a ton of winning this year, and I'm not saying either will win the championship (because they never get out of the second round), but I don't believe these teams deserve to get lumped in with the likes of Maryland and South Carolina squads.

What are some perspectives on SMU and Cincy in regard to mediocre P5 conference teams?

**Edit: Guess I should post the link***
Your ultimate March survival guide

Last edited:
C

chiller99.5

Its dreadful to watch it , I just cant avoid saying it. Id watch G town and Cuse or Johnnies vs Seton Hall but this league is putrid and has little I can identify with .

Reaction Score
Its dreadful to watch it , I just cant avoid saying it. Id watch G town and Cuse or Johnnies vs Seton Hall but this league is putrid and has little I can identify with .

I havent watched any casual AAC games outside of UConn and really dont have the desire to unfortunately outside of maybe the conference championship.

Reaction Score
I have tickets to all sessions of AAC tournament, +2. Even if its Cincy- SMU final, we won't go. Stakes won't be high enough even though they are 2 good teams. They won't get any respect by the committee. Not their fault. It's the conference names fault.

Reaction Score
I've done the same 11. Absolutely no interest. No sense in crying about it is what it is. Conference realignment has sucked us dry. A lot is missing from the past.

Reaction Score
I have tickets to all sessions of AAC tournament, +2. Even if its Cincy- SMU final, we won't go. Stakes won't be high enough even though they are 2 good teams. They won't get any respect by the committee. Not their fault. It's the conference names fault.
It's amazing what alternate realities people create for themselves.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I know the topic of "AAC disrespect" is talked about a ton, but I want to more focus more in on the words of Myron Medcalf in his recent article "Your Ultimate March survival tool". I usually don't have a problem with ESPN calling out the AAC to be weak, but in this instance, Medcalf lumped Cincinnati in with the "the most frustrating/inconsistent teams". The only thing frustrating about Cincy is how they are being discredited for a great season. Calling this Cincy team frustrating and inconsistent is just plain wrong. Yes they don't have a powerhouse offense, which is what Medcalf calls them out for. But they NEVER have a powerhouse offense. And their defense, always tough (always falls in line with the word consistent). This is a team which only lost to 3 top 25 teams, before falling to UCF. That kind of winning is much more consistent than that of a wildly inconsistent Puke team (who Medcalf lumped in with the "better watch these teams if you can" category).

I may not like the fact that UConn can't beat Cincy, but if they make a run in the NCAAs, I'd be happy for the conference. SMU and Cincy have done a ton of winning this year, and I'm not saying either will win the championship (because they never get out of the second round), but I don't believe these teams deserve to get lumped in with the likes of Maryland and South Carolina squads.

What are some perspectives on SMU and Cincy in regard to mediocre P5 conference teams?

They are a bunch of tools. Cinci actually has a very good offense this season. Probably the best since Kenyon Martin was there. That's why I think they will finally break through. Almost every guy they play can score and they have a bunch of big shooters.

The American isn't great, but the teams at the top of it are regularly underrated.

One of these teams is in the American. And it's the only one of these teams Lunardi doesn't have currently in.

[18-13 (10-8), RPI: 77, SOS: 61]
[21-9 (12-6), RPI: 50, SOS: 66]
[19-11 (10-8), RPI: 56, SOS: 57]
[20-11 (10-8), RPI: 52, SOS: 50]
[17-14 (10-8), RPI: 44, SOS: 3]
[18-13 (10-8), RPI: 47, SOS: 9]

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
They are a bunch of tools. Cinci actually has a very good offense this season. Probably the best since Kenyon Martin was there. That's why I think they will finally break through. Almost every guy they play can score and they have a bunch of big shooters.

The American isn't great, but the teams at the top of it are regularly underrated.

One of these teams is in the American. And it's the only one of these teams Lunardi doesn't have currently in.

Like it or not there is a bias among UConn fans because it's tough to go from riding high as part if the best basketball conference ever to being pushed out of that situation. But the AAC is not where we should vent our anger and frustration. The only thing UConn fans can do to make a statement is support the situation and not protest the situation. Not doing so supports those forces that have forced us into this situation.

And like it or not ESPN has long term contracts with other conferences not named the AAC. The next major contract to come up is the AAC's contract. It is not beyond reason to postulate it's in ESPN's and other media entities best interest to demonstrate a slight bias against the conference to reduce the value of the AAC for negotiating purposes.

Reaction Score

How is it even possible to be "frustrating" or "inconsistent" when you've only lost 4 games all year?

Reaction Score

Well?

I'm not bothering to look it up. Houston is 21-9. Who are the rest? If UH wins a game in AAC and gets shut out they are getting screwed no doubt. F syrexcuse.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

The sad thing is if UConn did well in it's OOC games there could have been four teams heading to the tournament. Those injuries hurt the conference as much as UConn.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Well?

I'm not bothering to look it up. Houston is 21-9. Who are the rest? If UH wins a game in AAC and gets shut out they are getting screwed no doubt. F syrexcuse.

Syracuse, Marquette, Providence, Vanderbilt and one I forget. Vandy has the #3 SOS. Explain that to me. The SEC isn't very good. Their out of conference featured a few decent teams, Iowa State, Buter, Minnesota, Marquette and Middle Tennessee. But they lost four of those games. Houston has a better resume.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
The sad thing is if UConn did well in it's OOC games there could have been four teams heading to the tournament. Those injuries hurt the conference as much as UConn.

Very true. We dropped out of the top 100 RPI and that hurts Cinci, SMU and Houston.

Reaction Score

How many top 50 and top 100 wins does each team have?

Reaction Score
I forgot to include Houston to the list with SMU and Cincy in terms of ESPN overlooking teams. I think Houston is a decent team, may win a game or two in the tourney, but certainly not as good as the two afermentioned. SMU and Cincy have had outstanding years up to this point, and avoiding an early out in the conference tourney, should not fall behind the likes of Duke.

However, Houston is an interesting case for sure. They don't have a schedule where they play UNC, Louisville, ND on any given night, but they have won games they should have. Only thing going against them is they couldn't muster a win against SMU or Cincy. I'm cringing watching the ACC tourney first round and having Joe L. constantly say if the 10th seeded Wake Forest can beat this B.C. team, they will be a pretty solid tourney bound team (at 19-12/9-9 mind you) - its a 2 point game in the closing minutes of the first half BTW.

Reaction Score
I forgot to include Houston to the list with SMU and Cincy in terms of ESPN overlooking teams. I think Houston is a decent team, may win a game or two in the tourney, but certainly not as good as the two afermentioned. SMU and Cincy have had outstanding years up to this point, and avoiding an early out in the conference tourney, should not fall behind the likes of Duke.

However, Houston is an interesting case for sure. They don't have a schedule where they play UNC, Louisville, ND on any given night, but they have won games they should have. Only thing going against them is they couldn't muster a win against SMU or Cincy. I'm cringing watching the ACC tourney first round and having Joe L. constantly say if the 10th seeded Wake Forest can beat this B.C. team, they will be a pretty solid tourney bound team (at 19-12/9-9 mind you) - its a 2 point game in the closing minutes of the first half BTW.
Houston has played 5 games against teams currently in the top 30 of the RPI, and they're 0-5 with losses by 9, 18, 21, 10, and 12 points. They have 3 top 100 wins. It won't be a conspiracy when they are left out.

Wake Forest has 9 top 100 wins.

Reaction Score
Houston has played 5 games against teams currently in the top 30 of the RPI, and they're 0-5 with losses by 9, 18, 21, 10, and 12 points. They have 3 top 100 wins. It won't be a conspiracy when they are left out.

Wake Forest has 9 top 100 wins.

I get it, Houston did not play a top 20 SOS this year. Not saying they should be in the tourney over WF, I was more comparing the fact that a WF team at 18-12 currently is being put in a solid position with a first round win against BC of all teams. Being the 10th ranked team in the ACC can be solidly in at 19-12 after a first round game in the ACC tourney?

BTW when comparing your stats, please do so with comparable stats (i.e. comparing Houston top 30 vs WF top 100)...Yes Houston is 0-5 top 30...WF is 1-7 Top 30. Houston is 3-6 vs top 100/WF is 8-12 vs top 100.

Reaction Score
I get it, Houston did not play a top 20 SOS this year. Not saying they should be in the tourney over WF, I was more comparing the fact that a WF team at 18-12 currently is being put in a solid position with a first round win against BC of all teams. Being the 10th ranked team in the ACC can be solidly in at 19-12 after a first round game in the ACC tourney?

BTW when comparing your stats, please do so with comparable stats (i.e. comparing Houston top 30 vs WF top 100)...Yes Houston is 0-5 top 30...WF is 1-7 Top 30. Houston is 3-6 vs top 100/WF is 8-12 vs top 100.
The committee won't even look at what place Wake Forest finished in the ACC, or what their conference record is, so that stuff is irrelevant. They will just evaluate the total body of work of each team.

I wasn't trying to misrepresent anything with Houston's top 30 stats. My point is they had their opportunities to get good wins, and based upon the score of each game, they weren't even competitive.

Reaction Score
I have not watched much of the other conference teams play head to head...but I will have to say the SMU/Cincinnati games were very enjoyable

Reaction Score

I did not realize the committee threw out all of the metrics and now only focus on 2 things. I would have thought that would have gotten a little more press.

Reaction Score

I know people like to ignore facts and want to live in a world of self made narratives, but in reality the committee was overly generous to the AAC last year. If they are the same this year Houston could get in. RPI is gone after this year, Houston's Kenpom is 41, if they are in the mid 30s I would not be surprised if they are selected.

Houston's 3 sub 100 losses will hurt them and if they won those games they would be in.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Ill be at both games saturday regardless if were there or not. If were in the conference we gotta get behind it and support it. If we wanna make money we need more exposure for every team in the conference. Ive got no problem watching cincy, memphis, smu and houston play hoop in a tournament environment. I'll even wish their fans good luck in the dance. Ill be rootin for em.

If we cant join em(p5), we (aac) gotta beat em. Lump em up old school style.

Reaction Score

yup...the AAC is really down right now. Two bid conference is unacceptable. I'm sure you guys have been discussing it, but I think it would help if we add Wichita State (and maybe VCU/Dayton).

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I did not realize the committee threw out all of the metrics and now only focus on 2 things. I would have thought that would have gotten a little more press.

What are you talking about? I listed for things. Record. Conf. record. SOS and RPI. I hope they consider more than that, but everything boils down to whether or not you beat the teams you played and were they any good. Nothing is more stupid than the "top 50 wins" and "top 100 wins" or "150+ losses". The gradients between beating #2 and beating number #49 are much higher than beating #45 and beating number #53.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom