AAC in 2016-17: A time for Huskies, and a time for regression | Page 2 | The Boneyard

AAC in 2016-17: A time for Huskies, and a time for regression

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Terrific write up. Thank you.
Really like the development of Facey last year to this year. Can he make a similar leap in development? If he does I think he can be an upgrade to Miller. But that is a huge question mark and I'm not underplaying what Shonn did for the team.
Don't agree with this at all. What did you see in Facey's game that was a big improvement from last year? An upgrade to Miller sounds like fantasyland to me. I'm much more excited about Enoch's prospects.

Reaction Score
Don't agree with this at all. What did you see in Facey's game that was a big improvement from last year? An upgrade to Miller sounds like fantasyland to me. I'm much more excited about Enoch's prospects.
I think Facey's biggest problem has been defense. He's not adjusted to team defense and we frequently get killed there when he's in.

He's not going to provide offense like Miller did. He has better rebounding instincts and better hands than Brimah, though, so if he could ever get his defense down he'll be pretty good, even if I agree with you fundamentally on both points (not an upgrade from Miller, more excited about Enoch long term).

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I don't see this out of the ordinary. Miller was good for us, no question. But in the grand scheme of things Miller was not that good. If Facey stays out of foul trouble he can do some good things. He's really active around the glass despite his lack of fingers.

Reaction Score
Losing by 20 to Villanova every single year is embarrassing. Losing by 25 to any decent ACC team you play is embarrassing.
I wouldn't call either embarrassing as both were #1 in the land at the time and UNC the #2 overall seed in the tournament and VU got #6. The VU game stings because Temple laid an egg. The UNC game was played without Obi E and was the first game of the year. Embarrassing is losing to ECU...ughhhh.

Either way, Temple should be a tournament team again starting in 17-18...

Love what UConn is doing recruiting. Wonder what happens to Cincy if Cronin heads to UNLV?

Reaction Score
We really need another guard, preferably another PG. I love when we play 2 PG's together, and Jalen will need a break at some point.

Jalen, Rodney, and a frosh Gilbert won't be enough, especially to start the season.

Reaction Score
247 says Christian Vital decommitted from UNLV. Anyone heard anything about him?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Fantasyland perhaps. I was critical of his defense in the Colorado game supporting what @tzznandrew wrote. There was something I saw in the Kansas game that makes me believe he's beginning to understand his positioning instinctually versus conscious thinking. And as @CTBasketball wrote there are things he could do that Miller could not do. But it will take that next leap of development. And that is something I'm neither willing to bet for or against.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
247 says Christian Vital decommitted rom UNLV. Anyone heard anything about him?
Funny with your name and rumors of Cronin checking out UNLV that you would be the one to post this.

Reaction Score
unny with your name and rumors of Cronin checking out UNLV that you would be the one to post this.
...you found me out

and I swear I'm typing the letter "f" and it's just not showing up

edit: well that was strange. all of 's on the page did not show up for a minute there.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
...you found me out

and I swear I'm typing the letter "f" and it's just not showing up
Just had the same problem. Censorship thinking we're using word.

Reaction Score
Fantasyland perhaps. I was critical of his defense in the Colorado game supporting what @tzznandrew wrote. There was something I saw in the Kansas game that makes me believe he's beginning to understand his positioning instinctually versus conscious thinking. And as @CTBasketball wrote there are things he could do that Miller could not do. But it will take that next leap of development. And that is something I'm neither willing to bet for or against.
You seem to be expecting a hell of a lot out of a guy who averaged 3 points this season or you just didn't watch Miller closely this season.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
You seem to be expecting a hell of a lot out of a guy who averaged 3 points this season or you just didn't watch Miller closely this season.
Miller was exceptional at creating and scoring one on one and one on two. But he couldn't position himself for offensive rebounding, hesitated frequently at passing the ball when he was double teamed, occasionally lost his player on the defensive end and struggled most of the year with the offensive and defensive sets. This critiquing is not meant to imply I was wishing he was on the bench. Quite the contrary. He and Gibbs, as others expressed, got us into the NCAAs.
I just think that Kentan has quicker reflexes than Shonn and can jump almost as well. Kentan just hasn't put it all together but if he does I think my statement would have merit.

Reaction Score
Terrific write up. Thank you.
Really like the development of Facey last year to this year. Can he make a similar leap in development? If he does I think he can be an upgrade to Miller. But that is a huge question mark and I'm not underplaying what Shonn did for the team.

I like Facey alot, but I am not convinced he will start over Diarra. Diarra is all motor and toughness and will be tough to keep off the court.

Reaction Score
Losing by 20 to Villanova every single year is embarrassing. Losing by 25 to any decent ACC team you play is embarrassing.

Gotta win SOME of those games. Just playing and losing to every decent OOC team isn't getting it done.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I like Facey alot, but I am not convinced he will start over Diarra. Diarra is all motor and toughness and will be tough to keep off the court.
I'm not invested in who starts. Just want the team to succeed. But it takes time to learn new systems. It takes time to learn what coaches want. It takes time to learn how to play with new team mates.

We had two players come to UConn with three years of college experience under their belt and it took most of the season for these veteran players to integrate. So I'm not quite as confident that a freshman player, no matter how talented or driven, can easily come in and take over minutes. And some of the scouting reports indicate Diarra is raw offensively. Of course scouting reports don't necessarily predict the future. Some players never adjust and some are immediately integrated. But most players need some time in their development and there is quite a variable in the amount of development.

I'll still stick to my predictions knowing full well they are just one persons point of view and outcomes don't depend on an observers point of view.

Reaction Score

I'm not gonna say who will or won't start, but what you just wrote to describe Diarra are the same words that were used to describe Facey coming into college. I have no issues with Facey being offensively challenged, my biggest disappointment with him as I don't really don't see the relentless motor and energy that he was billed as having coming out of HS. Alot of the time he just looks like a guy getting some cardio in while on the court.

Reaction Score
Just an FYI on the Cincy write-up the NC State transfer is Kyle Washington not Kyle Anderson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom