AAC has gotten better. UConn has not. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

AAC has gotten better. UConn has not.

Reaction Score
I don't think the conference is better. I think the UConn program (and athletic dept.) went into the wood chipper.

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
ECU beat Cincinnati! :D I can only imagine that has the potential to help us if we can somehow get better as the season goes on

Reaction Score
Its true that UConn is the only member of the AAC that essentially downgraded its brand when the conference formed. Thats why when it comes to conference realignment, UConn is so unique. People point to us and Cincy as the losers of realignment, but Cincy spent years in Conference USA before their tenure in the old Big East. UCF, Memphis, Temple, and SMU all improved from their previous conferences by moving to the American.

Reaction Score
I think this years team is playing better. However, I think our AAC conference mates are playing even better. Watching Tulsa now and ECU earlier, I don't know who UConn can beat in this conference. Maybe Tulane but even that is a question. Look for a last place or next to last place finish.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
I think this years team is playing better. However, I think our AAC conference mates are playing even better. Watching Tulsa now and ECU earlier, I don't know who UConn can beat in this conference. Maybe Tulane but even that is a question. Look for a last place or next to last place finish.
A finish in the bottom 3 of the conference should be unacceptable to Hurley, his staff, and every member of the team if they have any pride or basketball ability at all.

Reaction Score
A finish in the bottom 3 of the conference should be unacceptable to Hurley, his staff, and every member of the team if they have any pride or basketball ability at all.
It may be unacceptable, but it appears likely. Was finishing last in the AAC acceptable to RE? I suspect not. I just don't see any margin of error for these guys.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Look for a last place or next to last place finish.

"[Gilbert] will likely be re-injured in practice before the season even starts."

"I can't believe people are still talking about Gilbert. He is done. Forget him."

"I wish people would stop with this Gilbert stuff. Even if he did come back , in the first game he would get injured again. Leave him alone."

Reaction Score
"[Gilbert] will likely be re-injured in practice before the season even starts."

"I can't believe people are still talking about Gilbert. He is done. Forget him."

"I wish people would stop with this Gilbert stuff. Even if he did come back , in the first game he would get injured again. Leave him alone."
So what exactly as he done! I see someone dribbling into 8 foot giants. Unable to distribute the ball. How many assists does he have? I will credit him for making a few threes miraculously. Please don't tell me he is a savior for this team. Too small, sorry. I am beginning to think that you are his mother. Sorry, but not the answer for UConn basketball.

Reaction Score

I think he should be first round draft pick for the NBA.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
So what exactly as he done! I see someone dribbling into 8 foot giants. Unable to distribute the ball. How many assists does he have? I will credit him for making a few threes miraculously. Please don't tell me he is a savior for this team. Too small, sorry. I am beginning to think that you are his mother. Sorry, but not the answer for UConn basketball.

You declared with the utmost confidence that he would be injured and wouldn't even play, that he was "done."

Considering how wrong you were about that, forgive me if I think your predictions on other related topics aren't accurate.

Reaction Score
I actually thought we had a good shot at the tourney and a top 3 finish in the league after we won a few games very convincingly. It is truly disappointing that we’ve gotten worse rather than better lately. I really didn’t expect that with a tough coach. It just seems the old culture took over after a few losses and there is a willing acceptance of losing by some of the guys.[/QUOTE
Very well said......the reaction to adversity is the same as it was last year. My guess is Hurley must be beside himself given what he is trying to instill. But you can't change that overnight. And you certainly can't make a guy work harder to realize his full potential if he has no interest in doing so (I'm talking to you Jalen). I think we are going to see some different things in the coming couple of weeks because Hurley is not going to stand for accepting losing. We may lose, but it won't be due to indifference as it's been the past two games. That, or he is going to flee the country asap........

Reaction Score
Why so in basketball? If we were in the ACC or Big East, KO still would have run into trouble. This would be a rebuild no matter what conference we are in. We seem to recruit fine in this conference with Hurley here.

Don't kid yourself, basketball, as well as football, are hurt by not being able to recruit to a P5 conference. 5his was Lew Perkins concern back in the 90's. He said the future was in football and that UConn needed to become members of the Big East while the invitation was open in order to save the already successful basketball teams. He was right and UConn benefitted from his leadership - at least til the pirating of BE schools to other conferences.

Reaction Score
Don't kid yourself, basketball, as well as football, are hurt by not being able to recruit to a P5 conference. 5his was Lew Perkins concern back in the 90's. He said the future was in football and that UConn needed to become members of the Big East while the invitation was open in order to save the already successful basketball teams. He was right and UConn benefitted from his leadership - at least til the pirating of BE schools to other conferences.
Kofi got one B1G offer from a 3 - 11 team. Stated he really wants to play B1G ball. Says a lot.

Reaction Score
i don't see where we're better. The offense is regressing. If we can't somehow score some more points it's going to be difficult to beat anyone.

Reaction Score
Kofi got one B1G offer from a 3 - 11 team. Stated he really wants to play B1G ball. Says a lot.

I don’t buy that the B1G has anything to do with it. Illinois isn’t any good and he could call any other coach in the B1G and get a scholarship offer. He is choosing Illinois because of a relationship or something else we don’t know about. It isn’t the conference.

Reaction Score
It does seem that we are playing worse basketball compared to the Arizona and Fl St. game. That’s what is hard to figure out. Our offensive sets are worse. Our defense is terrible now. Polley is I a shooting slump. Jalen...well we know. AG isn’t playing better. Only CV is playing as good or better.
Don’t get fooled, we didn’t play well in the Arizona game, they gave us every opportunity to win that game and we couldn’t capitalize. It was a sloppy mess, I was sitting in the stands, hard to watch at times.

Reaction Score
I don’t buy that the B1G has anything to do with it. Illinois isn’t any good and he could call any other coach in the B1G and get a scholarship offer. He is choosing Illinois because of a relationship or something else we don’t know about. It isn’t the conference.
I admire your certitude. I am sure he likes Antigua. He stated he wants the B1G. They aren't mutually exclusive. Why not listen to what he directly states?

When we are plain old bad in AAC this will happen. IL is worse than we are with a 0 - 4 ships deficit. They are nowhere on the radar but for the word B1G. Just is.

Reaction Score
Had we won a few like Zona or Nova, the story line would be Hurley is the next JC, UConn is back and recruits would buy in. When they crapped the bed and embarrassed themselves in MSG, I knew our recruiting leverage dropped through the floor. Now, we are in for a long struggle back up the food chain. The Golden window opened and closed.

Reaction Score
We’re playing better overall this year vs. last year.

But, the AAC is gonna be a cage match this year. Seems everyone’s gotten better (or worse?). Any team can/sometimes will beat another team on any given night-

-ECU beat Cincy
-USF lost to Tulsa on a buzzer beater
-Tulsa had a tight close game with Temple earlier in the league

Benchmarking our performance vs AAC teams this year vs what happened last year is disingenuous and pretty pointless

Reaction Score
You declared with the utmost confidence that he would be injured and wouldn't even play, that he was "done."

Considering how wrong you were about that, forgive me if I think your predictions on other related topics aren't accurate.
No doubt that he is trying. Shoulder injuries are difficult to recover from, and I am surprised, given that I had a similar injury and have not recovered, that he is doing as well as he is. By the way, I was a part time meteorologist. Sometimes prediction don't come to pass.

Reaction Score
Had we won a few like Zona or Nova, the story line would be Hurley is the next JC, UConn is back and recruits would buy in. When they crapped the bed and embarrassed themselves in MSG, I knew our recruiting leverage dropped through the floor. Now, we are in for a long struggle back up the food chain. The Golden window opened and closed.
Ummm.

IL is 3 - 11. Kofi sat there with nobody in the gym and watched them lose to Florida Atlantic. How does that not slam the windows shut on the IL recruitment?

There is something else

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom