AAC has gotten better. UConn has not. | The Boneyard

AAC has gotten better. UConn has not.

Reaction Score
The 2 Fla teams have shown improvement while UConn has not gotten better. Hurley does not seem to be motivating this bunch. It appeared early on Cobb was going to be the example of turning it around(losing 30 lbs or so, early double double), but he just cannot figure out the "d". Pretty similar offence to last year in terms of production. Guess it will take longer than we hoped.

Reaction Score
The 2 Fla teams have shown improvement while UConn has not gotten better. Hurley does not seem to be motivating this bunch. It appeared early on Cobb was going to be the example of turning it around(losing 30 lbs or so, early double double), but he just cannot figure out the "d". Pretty similar offence to last year in terms of production. Guess it will take longer than we hoped.

If it was like the premiere league, we'd soon be demoted to America East.

Reaction Score
We’re not good, but we’re definitely better than last year. It’s a long road, but we’re on it.

The problem I have is we were definitely better. We played competitive in the losses against FSU and Arizona. Ever since halftime against Villa its been a regression. Only 2 1/2 games and UCF is a good team, but it feels like we're sliding badly. Next few games will be telling.

Reaction Score
It does seem that we are playing worse basketball compared to the Arizona and Fl St. game. That’s what is hard to figure out. Our offensive sets are worse. Our defense is terrible now. Polley is I a shooting slump. Jalen...well we know. AG isn’t playing better. Only CV is playing as good or better.

Reaction Score
That was a terrible loss. If that's what Jalen can give I dont want it. AG plays like he is a one man team. Too much hero ball. No one values possesions. And we have the softest bigs in all levels of basketball. I cant believe 14 games in that this is the product that was rolled out on the floor.

Next year cant get here fast enough!

Reaction Score
Regardless of competition this team plays just well enough to lose. They look good until it's time to look bad.

Reaction Score
It doesn’t really make sense. I’ve been content to think that we just don’t have the talent to beat a good team most days but I’m kind of dumbfounded why we can throttle a lower tier D1 team and can’t beat any upper level ones (I’m including USF/UCF in the upper tier). Last year we struggled with everyone but still hung with most of the better teams within reason. Clearly, we are better this year but why that isn’t getting us a legit win here and there is perplexing. Hopefully, those wins will come but confidence is way down from where it was early in the season and wins seem less likely with each passing game.

Reaction Score
Conference realignment has hurt UConn football and men's BB worse than any non P5 team in the country.

Why so in basketball? If we were in the ACC or Big East, KO still would have run into trouble. This would be a rebuild no matter what conference we are in. We seem to recruit fine in this conference with Hurley here.

Reaction Score
Why have we been unable to recruit good shooters and front court players who are solid physically and can play the game? Until this changes we are heading south.

Reaction Score
Why so in basketball? If we were in the ACC or Big East, KO still would have run into trouble. This would be a rebuild no matter what conference we are in. We seem to recruit fine in this conference with Hurley here.

Because TV (did you hear announcers for the Fiesta Bowl slamming on the AAC?) and P5 conference brokers are methodically working to suffocate any other conferences and programs.

Reaction Score
It doesn’t really make sense. I’ve been content to think that we just don’t have the talent to beat a good team most days but I’m kind of dumbfounded why we can throttle a lower tier D1 team and can’t beat any upper level ones (I’m including USF/UCF in the upper tier). Last year we struggled with everyone but still hung with most of the better teams within reason. Clearly, we are better this year but why that isn’t getting us a legit win here and there is perplexing. Hopefully, those wins will come but confidence is way down from where it was early in the season and wins seem less likely with each passing game.
The throttling of lower tier D1 teams and the inability to beat upper level ones is mostly talent. Guys like Carlton and Polley could be good/very good lower tier D1 players and tend to play like it against them, against upper level ones they can't hang because they aren't meant to be upper level D! players, same goes for everyone outside of Alterique, Jalen, Sid, and Vital. This coupled with Jalen wanting to be anywhere other than a basketball court and our players only knowing losing equals pain.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
UCF tried to hand it to us with multiple turnovers in the second half around midpoint, and more at the end. Unfortunately we don't play offense with even a semblance of a clue to take advantage.

Reaction Score
I actually thought we had a good shot at the tourney and a top 3 finish in the league after we won a few games very convincingly. It is truly disappointing that we’ve gotten worse rather than better lately. I really didn’t expect that with a tough coach. It just seems the old culture took over after a few losses and there is a willing acceptance of losing by some of the guys.

Reaction Score
Why have we been unable to recruit good shooters and front court players who are solid physically and can play the game? Until this changes we are heading south.

We did (sort of). Our shooter / SF is in New Mexico. Enoch, Diarra and Yakwe are physically solid and Durham is a rim protector. Disgruntlement and injuries plagued us. However all teams face these setbacks.

Reaction Score
Could it be that Jalen has decided he doesn't want to give the effort that Hurley requires? I mean Vital has taken an enormous step forward and I know he's still getting the rust off, but Al looks bought into the program while Jalen is anything but. We need to bench Jalen and take the chance with Vital Gilbert Wilson Polley and Carlton/Cobb.

Reaction Score
We’ve recruited just fine in this league. Player development, injuries, conditioning and ultimately, the resulting transfers killed us. There is no doubt, we can get recruits in this league and as a whole, other schools are recruiting better too. I don’t like the lack of rivalries and traditional power programs in the league but it is a rapidly improving conference from a competitiveness standpoint. We can win more National Titles from this league.

Reaction Score
The problem I have is we were definitely better. We played competitive in the losses against FSU and Arizona. Ever since halftime against Villa its been a regression. Only 2 1/2 games and UCF is a good team, but it feels like we're sliding badly. Next few games will be telling.
Thought you his one was supposed to be telling

Reaction Score
Thought you his one was supposed to be telling

??

Its always "the next few games will be telling." ; ) Sort of like "in 20 mins".

Seriously though, Villanova told us we're not going to the tourney, USF told us the AAC will be a struggle, and UCF told us we're on the verge of a dumpster fire. If we don't get a W in the next few games with a new coach, the board is going to go nuts. And whats realistic at this point, a 6 game losing streak until Tulane?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Only need 7 more wins to top last years mark. Next year we will improve

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44