AAC first year- BCS win and Men's Basketball championship | The Boneyard

AAC first year- BCS win and Men's Basketball championship

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Maybe even the women's for good measure.

I love it. That's a power conference performance by any standard. And that's what the power 5 get for making expansion decisions based on emotion and idiocy. You leave schools out that actually win .

Bad TV contracts can't stop karma.

Reaction Score
UConn alone has 3 national championships and a Final Four in men's socce. Central Florida completely outclassed its opponent from the mighty B-12 in its bowl game. But for a late meaningless score against UCF's B-squad, it would have been much worse. The conference has performed for sure.

Reaction Score
Maybe even the women's for good measure.

I love it. That's a power conference performance by any standard. And that's what the power 5 get for making expansion decisions based on emotion and idiocy. You leave schools out that actually win .

Bad TV contracts can't stop karma.

I understand your sentiment, but it is misguided IMO. The P5 Conferences act mostly out of 2 motivations self preservation or greed.

ACC & Big 12-2 : Self preservation

B1G, Pac, SEC : Greed.

UCONN has been, is, and remains a P5 Team. Hopefully you will be in The B1G Soon, but if not just keep winning and eventually it will be impossible to keep you out.

Reaction Score
Let's be clear - these are UConn's championships, not the AAC's. The AAC had precious little to do with UConn BB's success this year and it had precious little to do with UCF FB's success this year.

Reaction Score
Let's be clear - these are UConn's championships, not the AAC's. The AAC had precious little to do with UConn BB's success this year and it had precious little to do with UCF FB's success this year.

Agree...but that's not what Mike Aresco is saying...see his quotes below from an article today (http://www.sportstalkflorida.com/aac-gets-the-last-laugh-with-uconn-and-ucf/)

All in all in their first year as the AAC you must give a great deal of credit to Commissioner Mike Aresco for helping to pick the right schools who have very bright futures. He was asked after UConn won the Men’s basketball title Monday night if he thought that the conference that media wrote of as dead got the last laugh?
“No, not all all. What I have is a feeling of quiet satisfaction.” A class comment from someone who knows that his teams did all the talking needed in both the Men’s and Women’s Basketball Tournaments.

He told USA Today last night “I’m really proud of our presidents, our athletic directors, our coaches, our student-athletes and my office staff,” Aresco said. “Because everybody went through a lot, took a lot of shots, persevered. I think this is one of those great, special nights. You know, the Fiesta Bowl was one, the Men’s Championship was one, and with the Women’s Title tonight that is very good start.”
He also told USA Today”It’s all a little ahead of schedule, Aresco admitted.
“I think we exceeded expectations,” he said. “I thought these schools have a chance to be competitive and to do something special at some point. But that it would happen this quickly, that we would win a Fiesta Bowl and we would win a national championship in basketball, we would be in the NIT final, we would win the women’s NIT and take home the Men’s and Women’s national championship, is a remarkable accomplishment.”
And here’s where it gets interesting: If under the radar nationally — no longer a power conference in the Football Bowl Subdivision, losing Louisville to the ACC after this season — the American has proven to be an underdog with bite.
“You know, I’ve been saying for a few days we had to gain respect the old-fashioned way: we had to earn it. I think we did,” Aresco said. “I think the future’s bright. I think the future’s bright for our conference.”

Reaction Score
The AAC is the Big East, we never left our conference.
The commissioner, headquarters ,and most importantly the assets stayed with the old league.(AAC)
The NBE bought the name and the MSG tourney. They are no longer east or for that matter big.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom