AAC Contract Prediction | The Boneyard

AAC Contract Prediction

Reaction Score
Predictions: The deals of 2019

The American Athletic Conference will renew its ESPN deal.

Even though AAC schools will not sign a grant of rights, the conference works out a renewal with ESPN. Expect rights fee to settle in the $8 million per school range — up from its current $2 million per school, but below the $10 million per school that the AAC wants. All eyes will be on Central Florida and Cincinnati, which will be open to bolting for a bigger conference. But neither school will leave the AAC because the Big 12 is not going to expand — at least not this year.

Reaction Score
When does the Big East have to negotiate a new media deal?

Reaction Score
Who would’ve thought UCF and Cincinnati would make P5 before us. Smh
They won’t. In what matters most in expansion, these two schools offer very little. Cincy offers practically nothing. In 2024-25, if having a good football team in 2018 is the lone criteria, then sure. But it is not, as seen by Rutgers. The only way these two schools are added anywhere is if OU and Texas bolt, which in that case, the Big 12 would need UConn and it’s market for survival.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You are correct, I think, that conferences do not expand unless for a reason that makes sense to them.

Content demand may be the next driver and the national viewer desirability of a particular program to be offered, the major tipping point.

I think it is desirable for networks to have compelling matches....for viewer numbers drive advertising. And some teams/programs will draw more viewers than others..

Sure..one could add in recruiting grounds, opening up new TV territory, academics, et al....but ultimately, $$$ as determined by the networks, will drive the decision.

Reaction Score
I thought a few years ago the commissioner was talking about a possible going the way of online streaming contract for the AAC, because ESPNwas lowballing them. Was that all for threat of leaving, a la a negotiating tactic?

Reaction Score
Covering Aresco 2017 media days....

"The current ESPN contract runs through 2019-20. The parameters for negotiating a new deal are governed by the current contract. The negotiating period is essentially open to all networks and distributors in early 2019. But there is a window beginning in 2018 for ESPN and the AAC to extend their current deal, if they wish.

In the meantime, Aresco is free to have informational meetings with anyone and everyone. But he can't start formal negotiations with any networks or distributors until after the ESPN exclusivity period expires. To that end, Aresco has had meetings with Facebook, Twitter, Google, and other streaming services. He also talked about the possibility of syndicated TV deals.

Specifically, Aresco said it's quite possible that even if ESPN wants to keep the AAC, that they may not be interested in the full package. Right now, they option some football and basketball games to CBS Sports Network.

Aresco said the AAC's next deal could very well be a two-tier or three-tier package involving multiple distribution channels."

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
It’s not the $30mm of the power 5 but a 400% increase would be pretty sweet.

Reaction Score
8 million a year would pretty much kill the UConn to the Big East rumors. It's double what the Big East makes and when you factor in over a million a year in bowl/playoff money it's a no-brainer to stay financially, on top of again maintaining the FBS brand for possible future opportunities.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
8 million a year would pretty much kill the UConn to the Big East rumors. It's double what the Big East makes and when you factor in over a million a year in bowl/playoff money it's a no-brainer to stay financially, on top of again maintaining the FBS brand for possible future opportunities.
I wouldn’t say that

Reaction Score
Why? Because you'll keep wishing?

If we are invited to a P5 conference, all of you who called for joining the Big East should show your faces.
Gladly will. But I’m telling you, UConn is going to look at the big picture. If they don’t feel like they are going to be a part of the next conference realignment, they should explore the big east option.

Reaction Score
4 million AND having to be on FS1 just isn't acceptable under ANY circumstances.

Sorrry

I'll take the 8 or more million and stay on ESPN and go from there. The AAC has proven to be capable in both FB and MBB.

It's a Major step back to take half the money and be relegated to Fox.

1Awgbxy.jpg

Reaction Score
Gladly will. But I’m telling you, UConn is going to look at the big picture. If they don’t feel like they are going to be a part of the next conference realignment, they should explore the big east option.
Why do you think the school upgraded football?!?!?!?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
in my book , a lifeline is just that , it something that saves your butt.
What you accomplish with that second opportunity is on you.
As the late Walt Kelley use to say;
“We have seen the enemy and they is us”
More like a leaking tourniquet. It won't save your life, but it will slow the rate at which you are dying.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom