AAC Confrence | Page 2 | The Boneyard

AAC Confrence

Reaction Score
No, this is not what anyone has said in this thread. Nothing close to "no hope" has even been stated or even implied in the above messages.

However, you yourself have already declared in multiple threads and multiple messages that all hope was lost. So how are you adding anything new to the discussion, other than additional doses of doom and gloom?

People like you make me wonder whether UConn fans ever deserved all the success we've enjoyed.
Uconn Basketball is or has not always been fan base oriented. It was and mostly is for the STUDENTS. As one I sat thru a lot of losses when I sat on hard wood to cheer the Uconn men. I bleed blue and white. I /ll watch the UC WBB as long as there is life and breath in me. When the kids are in town, the game for me is better (kids means students).
So, to me how non student fans feel or complain means nothing. If the kids come to games Uconn is successful.
The other side of the coin is: Fan's second guess, Monday Morning QB, want more; like or not: That is the pervue of Fans. I want the tallest most talented post, Moriah like PG, a Stew like Forward, a DT 2 guard, Maya /Tuck combo recruiting class--With a bench of Precious (your choice which), Maria, Stef, Kiah, Nurse, Gabby, --is that asking too much??

Reaction Score
All you say is true and accurate. The real issues/question is: What does Uconn do? What conference other than the AAC will take Uconn (No FB). The Football issue won't fix itself or is their an inclination for Connecticut (STATE/University) to spend the dollars it will take--even with money how to draw FB and BB recruits.
Geno/Uconn can't get into the ACC, it was reported a school or 3 blocked them. Is Independent the right way (I don't think so, can he get 25 games OOC?
All those that have issues, as I do, with the AAC and recruiting: Lend a hand tell us how to fix it?? I mean reality, what will actually get it done? I have no suggestions.

Good point. Just one clarification, it should be two-thirds of the Sweet Sixteen from three conferences, not a third.

Seems that the AAC is pretty good at football. So the entire corrupt "football trumps all" mentality prevails.

Indeed, it appears as though the women's college basketball geography is coming close to that for football and other big-time sports. The strong conferences are the football conferences: Pac 12, Big 10, Big 12, ACC, SEC. At least as far as the top teams go.

Reaction Score
Do u think UCONN will get a invite to a power 5 any time soon? Why does football mean so much... ACC.. Duke, Wake Forest Louisville, even Boston College has taken a down fall are all power football programs?? Go figure .. any basketball program should love to have UCONN in there confrence it would boost there confrence to top notch. Big 10, ACC is a perfect fit!!!
The BC AD will never ever let UCONN in the ACC. BECAUSE Richard Bluminthal, when he was Attorney General for CT, sued BC and Miami to try preventing them from leaving the Big East. Then the AD at BC said he would always vote against UCONN'S Joining the ACC and it only takes one vote against.....

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Yes. It may already have effected us in recruiting. It a chicken or egg proposition though. If UCONN doesn't get it's share of top recruits the program will decline. If the program declines then there is no incentive for those other top programs to continue to play UCONN. Someone please remind me why UCONN decided to renew the rivalry with TN in the first place. UCONN should have let that sleeping dog rot IMO.
I am a bit surprised by this post from you. To wit: UConn “lost out” on top candidates this year ONLY so to see a trend is a bit excessive. UConn is STILL THE PROGRAM that WCBB and ESPN uses to measure itself against, want to play and fans want to watch. They will play top teams in their OOC as is evidenced by the past 10-15 years.
Geno is in the hunt for the top 2020 and 2021 players and we will know soon enough what their perspective is by who they choose.
As far as Tenn goes, Chrystal deserves a “homecoming” game and this is it. Hence the renewal.
Just my humble counterpoints to your concerns.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I am a bit surprised by this post from you. To wit: UConn “lost out” on top candidates this year ONLY so to see a trend is a bit excessive. UConn is STILL THE PROGRAM that WCBB and ESPN uses to measure itself against, want to play and fans want to watch. They will play top teams in their OOC as is evidenced by the past 10-15 years.
Geno is in the hunt for the top 2020 and 2021 players and we will know soon enough what their perspective is by who they choose.
As far as Tenn goes, Chrystal deserves a “homecoming” game and this is it. Hence the renewal.
Just my humble counterpoints to your concerns.
Surprised by what?
No! TN game is at HOF in Mass next season. UCONN goes to Knoxville after Crystal graduates. Vandy is the homecoming game that has been scheduled as Crystal's home coming.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Surprised by what?
No! TN game is at HOF in Mass next season. UCONN goes to Knoxville after Crystal graduates. Vandy is the homecoming game that has been scheduled as Crystal's home coming.
Surprised by your thought recruiting is harmed by their conference. I mean 16/17/18 year olds still pick Tenn as their choice despite overwhelming evidence they will never deveop, never make the SEC All Conference let alone an All-American team.
My view is while Geno/CD are still here, there is little to fear. Their successor will also have a a short grace period (like Holly has had) to prove they can maintain National relevance. This is the most uncertain aspect.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Surprised by your thought recruiting is harmed by their conference. I mean 16/17/18 year olds still pick Tenn as their choice despite overwhelming evidence they will never deveop, never make the SEC All Conference let alone an All-American team.
My view is while Geno/CD are still here, there is little to fear. Their successor will also have a a short grace period (like Holly has had) to prove they can maintain National relevance. This is the most uncertain aspect.
To be clear, IMO UCONN WBB recruiting is hurt by being in the AAC.
I continue to be puzzled (surprised?) by top tier recruits continuing to go to TN-regardless of what conference TN is in.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
To be clear, IMO UCONN WBB recruiting is hurt by being in the AAC.
I continue to be puzzled (surprised?) by top tier recruits continuing to go to TN-regardless of what conference TN is in.

I agree that our recruiting is negatively affected by our conference affiliation, but I'm not surprised that TN still gets top quality recruits. They're likely getting them in any head-to-head recruiting battle with UConn for that very reason. They're in a power conference which is perenially one of, if not the best in the country for women's BB. They get to sell that to recruits. Yes, their glory years are becoming a thing of the distant past, but because of those years they're still considered a big name. UConn has become relegated to being a big name with nothing to sell regarding conference affiliation. TN gets to sell games vs USCe and MS St. UConn has UCF and USF (yawn).

Reaction Score
Good point. Just one clarification, it should be two-thirds of the Sweet Sixteen from three conferences, not a third.

Seems that the AAC is pretty good at football. So the entire corrupt "football trumps all" mentality prevails.

Indeed, it appears as though the women's college basketball geography is coming close to that for football and other big-time sports. The strong conferences are the football conferences: Pac 12, Big 10, Big 12, ACC, SEC. At least as far as the top teams go.
Thanks

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I think you mean "standard bearer"-at least I hope you do. UCONN is the current standard for WCBB no doubt. If the program ever falls to a point where P5 coaches look at UCONN "to fill out" their schedule God help us all.
I am sure you are correct in suggesting the poster meant standard bearer. But I think barrier also fits. Not many schools have gotten through the barrier that is UConn.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
because the other AAC teams are improving or we are regressing? Just thought I would beat out some one else before they say it. ;):oops:
Never knew anyone who was in a rush to get to the bottom! ;)

Reaction Score
I agree that our recruiting is negatively affected by our conference affiliation, but I'm not surprised that TN still gets top quality recruits. They're likely getting them in any head-to-head recruiting battle with UConn for that very reason. They're in a power conference which is perenially one of, if not the best in the country for women's BB. They get to sell that to recruits. Yes, their glory years are becoming a thing of the distant past, but because of those years they're still considered a big name. UConn has become relegated to being a big name with nothing to sell regarding conference affiliation. TN gets to sell games vs USCe and MS St. UConn has UCF and USF (yawn).
Suggest some go look at the Holy Cross Crossports basketball blog. For years, many HC fans blamed their issues on being in the Patriot League, ignoring poor coaching, poor attendance, poor players, etc. Amazing (sic) how schools like Bucknell, in the middle of PA farm country focus on what they can control and do well each year. While UConn has a different benchmark, if we continue to recruit and coach well, this conversation will go away.

Reaction Score
it's a given the UConn's conference schedule is a cake walk...............playing and winning outside of the conference against a number of top 15 teams is what holds the respect of the other programs and recruits...........if UConn starts losing games outside of the conference like they did this year then the school's perception of semi invincibility will be broken

Reaction Score
The AAC is what it is. I am sure that there are those who remember what the AAC teams were like when UConn joined the conference. It may not seem clear at this point because all of women's basketball has improved significantly in the last 10 years, but even the AAC teams have stepped forward with new coaches and new personnel to support the teams at a higher level. Next year, many of these teams will give UConn more than a run for the money.

I feel lime UConn didn’t join the AAC but the AAC joined UConn.

Reaction Score
The BC AD will never ever let UCONN in the ACC. BECAUSE Richard Bluminthal, when he was Attorney General for CT, sued BC and Miami to try preventing them from leaving the Big East. Then the AD at BC said he would always vote against UCONN'S Joining the ACC and it only takes one vote against.....
Their stance has softened. This was eons ago.

Reaction Score
On the bright side, UCF is setting the standard in the AAC for the newer schools. Could have beat Duke!

Reaction Score
I've waffled on whether to ask this because IMO the NCAA seeding decision is water that is long since under bridge, and in any case never solely about a team's rank. No desire to resurrect that particular dead horse for a fresh beating. But I have a question about ranking and how conference influences it.

Does RPI/SOS for a team include its conference opponents? If so, is there an objective reason to include an additional measure of conference strength/history/reputation? Besides money or bias, I mean. I'm far from the sharpest statistician in the box so educate me! :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom