AAC Confrence | The Boneyard

AAC Confrence

Reaction Score
Do u think the fact only one team besides UCONN made it to the tournament going to effect future top recruits coming to UCONN. Many people think UCONN is now considered a mid major confrence. The committee even stated the reason why we got a number 2 seed was our weak confrence. What happens if top programs like the Baylor’s and Notre Dames decide not to play us anymore what will be the ultimate fall back on the UCONN program?? Honest question not a attack here.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Do u think the fact only one team besides UCONN made it to the tournament going to effect future top recruits coming to UCONN. Many people think UCONN is now considered a mid major confrence. The committee even stated the reason why we got a number 2 seed was our weak confrence. What happens if top programs like the Baylor’s and Notre Dames decide not to play us anymore what will be the ultimate fall back on the UCONN program?? Honest question not a attack here.
Yes. It may already have effected us in recruiting. It a chicken or egg proposition though. If UCONN doesn't get it's share of top recruits the program will decline. If the program declines then there is no incentive for those other top programs to continue to play UCONN. Someone please remind me why UCONN decided to renew the rivalry with TN in the first place. UCONN should have let that sleeping dog rot IMO.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Face it. It is not a good time to be an American. :mad::mad::mad::mad::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

Seriously, I think as long as Geno is at the helm, we will continue to schedule strong and high exposure OOC but after, I can't even look.

Reaction Score
As long as you win 6 games at the late March and early April, it surely does not make any difference. They don’t count a champion from a mid-major differently from one from the major. Like the Olympics, a gold medal won can be more precious for a small (say, Fiji) or a populous but traditionally non-athletically represented country (say, India) ...if you win, you win!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

No. I think it depends on what a particular potential recruit is looking for. A family atmosphere, great fit and chemistry with the players and staff. Good coaches, good school (possibly location (close to home) may also be a consideration. Do they want to win a championship(s), or just play and get maximum exposure on a BIG stage to build and showcase their brand?

Recruits have different agendas, and go to different programs for different reasons. We all know that Geno and UConn are not for everyone. One size does NOT fit all there.

I do agree that UConn would be in trouble if the top P5 programs stopped scheduling them down the road. A win over UConn is still highly coveted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Yes. It may already have effected us in recruiting. It a chicken or egg proposition though. If UCONN doesn't get it's share of top recruits the program will decline. If the program declines then there is no incentive for those other top programs to continue to play UCONN. Someone please remind me why UCONN decided to renew the rivalry with TN in the first place. UCONN should have let that sleeping dog rot IMO.
Suspect that for many more years, beating UConn will remain a significant milestone. NOW is the time most want to schedule Huskies. Regarding the AAC, until this past year, many schools appeared on their way up with UCF and S. Florida flirting with Top 20 status and Temple and Cincinnati have some 20+ win seasons. If a few of those schools get back to 20 wins seasons, league will regain a more positive perception.

Reaction Score

Major programs will always play UConn, they are the standard barrier of WCBB. In fact more schools will likely be interested to play them b/c they think they have a better chance to win. There are known cases of P5 schools declining out right and/or the AD scheduling when the coashes were not that keen. Also, P5's always want & need to play non P5's to fill the schedule.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Major programs will always play UConn, they are the standard barrier of WCBB. In fact more schools will likely be interested to play them b/c they think they have a better chance to win. There are known cases of P5 schools declining out right and/or the AD scheduling when the coashes were not that keen. Also, P5's always want & need to play non P5's to fill the schedule.
I think you mean "standard bearer"-at least I hope you do. UCONN is the current standard for WCBB no doubt. If the program ever falls to a point where P5 coaches look at UCONN "to fill out" their schedule God help us all.

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
People read way too much into the conference thing. Gonzaga men's team were a #1 seed this year, and the WCC was perhaps the weakest it's ever been outside of Gonzaga. It would've been a one-bid league except for the fact that St. Mary's upset Gonzaga in the WCC final.

Reaction Score
Do u think UCONN will get a invite to a power 5 any time soon? Why does football mean so much... ACC.. Duke, Wake Forest Louisville, even Boston College has taken a down fall are all power football programs?? Go figure .. any basketball program should love to have UCONN in there confrence it would boost there confrence to top notch. Big 10, ACC is a perfect fit!!!

Plebe

Reaction Score
Do u think UCONN will get a invite to a power 5 any time soon? Why does football mean so much... ACC.. Duke, Wake Forest Louisville, even Boston College has taken a down fall are all power football programs?? Go figure .. any basketball program should love to have UCONN in there confrence it would boost there confrence to top notch. Big 10, ACC is a perfect fit!!!
Not to usurp the role of our esteemed moderators, but this has been -- and continues to be -- hashed and rehashed ad nauseum on the Conference Realignment board: Conference Realignment Board

You might want to take a peek and post there.

Reaction Score
People read way too much into the conference thing. Gonzaga men's team were a #1 seed this year, and the WCC was perhaps the weakest it's ever been outside of Gonzaga. It would've been a one-bid league except for the fact that St. Mary's upset Gonzaga in the WCC final.

It took Zaga 20 years to get to the point to be respected enough to get 1 seed from a small conf

Plebe

Reaction Score
It took Zaga 20 years to get to the point to be respected enough to get 1 seed from a small conf
This isn't the first year they've been a 1 seed. They also don't have UConn's championship history. Gonzaga never even reached a Final Four until 2 years ago.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Do u think the fact only one team besides UCONN made it to the tournament going to effect future top recruits coming to UCONN.
Perhaps Geno's age is more a concern. An 18 kid may think this guy is older than my grandfather and he retired at 62. Will this coach still be coaching in 2,3,4 years?
Who will be the coach when he leaves?

Reaction Score

UConn not getting in a P5, It's about tv markets or being good in fball , UConn has neither, Fball is where the big money is for the conferences. It's the basis of the conference network s, which are the cash cows, They "jam" up to $1.10 into the cable bill of every subscriber in a member state. That's how Rutgers & MD got in the B10, both have mediocre at best fball that added nothing substantial on the field. They however have big tv markets and states with high population and many millions of cable subscribers. BTN money exploded up when they added those schools b/c of the markets they added a combined by some estimates 18 to 20M subscribers getting jammed with the montly fee. B10 schools got 51M distribution each last year, the biggest of any conference.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

The AAC is most definitely a mid major conference. It's all about the money. The P5 conferences get it, the mid majors don't.

That said, the AAC is the best of the G5's in football, which is where almost all the money comes from. The new media deal puts the AAC ahead of all the mid majors.

The AAC is also improving in men's BB, and is a very good, well respected baseball conference.

Reaction Score
So basically there is no hope for UCONN!! I would be devastated in 5 years to have UCONN fall off the map like the Louisiana Tech and currently Tennessee. At least the lady vols have the SEC.

Plebe

Reaction Score
So basically there is no hope for UCONN!! I would be devastated in 5 years to have UCONN fall off the map like the Louisiana Tech and currently Tennessee. At least the lady vols have the SEC.
No, this is not what anyone has said in this thread. Nothing close to "no hope" has even been stated or even implied in the above messages.

However, you yourself have already declared in multiple threads and multiple messages that all hope was lost. So how are you adding anything new to the discussion, other than additional doses of doom and gloom?

People like you make me wonder whether UConn fans ever deserved all the success we've enjoyed.

Reaction Score
I’m sorry don’t mean to come out that way!! I love my huskies and all there success and hard work the past 30 years deserves so much more. Trust me I love my UCONN basketball and love this forum. Great knowledge and different peoples ideas and basketball perspectives!!!

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

Getting into a P5 conference is all about two things...media markets and football. Rutgers is in the Big 10 because they command a huge media market. Our media market compares favorably with the several other P5 wannabes. The Hartford/New Haven market is something like 33rd largest in the country. Fairfield Co. also gives us a piece of metro NYC's market. The fact that we have a media deal with SNY also helps with metro NYC.

There likely won't be any movement until the mid 2020's when some of the P5 media rights deals are up for renewal. We need to greatly improve the football program to have any shot at upgrading. 90 percent or more of athletic revenues are generated by football. Basketball doesn't matter.

Reaction Score
When all this crap happened years ago, many on the board said that UConn is UConn and it doesn't matter. But a number of us here on the board said,in effect,"Just you wait. It won't be this year or next, but being in a mix-major conference will catch up with UConn some day because recruits just want to play where lots of spotlights are, not where the one spotlight is."

"Some day" came one, maybe two years ago. We are seeing the effects now, and will really see them next year. And no, there is no reason to think that UConn will get into a P5 conference. Still, UConn wil not become irrelevant like LaTech did, but the days of great recruiting classes all the time and quick and easy signings of top players just aren't going to happen like they used to.

Reaction Score
The AAC is what it is. I am sure that there are those who remember what the AAC teams were like when UConn joined the conference. It may not seem clear at this point because all of women's basketball has improved significantly in the last 10 years, but even the AAC teams have stepped forward with new coaches and new personnel to support the teams at a higher level. Next year, many of these teams will give UConn more than a run for the money.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The AAC is what it is. I am sure that there are those who remember what the AAC teams were like when UConn joined the conference. It may not seem clear at this point because all of women's basketball has improved significantly in the last 10 years, but even the AAC teams have stepped forward with new coaches and new personnel to support the teams at a higher level. Next year, many of these teams will give UConn more than a run for the money.

because the other AAC teams are improving or we are regressing? Just thought I would beat out some one else before they say it. ;):oops:

Reaction Score
I count 5 Pac-12 teams, 3 ACC teams, and 3 SEC teams. So a third are from just three conferences.

But then there are the odd-balls: Missouri State and South Dakota State. I count just one each from the Big 10, the Big 12, and the AAC.

So it's the Power 3 conferences for women's basketball. But odd-balls abound: Buffalo? BYU? UCF?

It seems that the top talent continues to go to a few programs, regardless of the conference: Baylor, South Carolina, Connecticut, Louisville, Stanford, Notre Dame.

But there appears to be more good talent out there that is going to a lot of other schools now: Buffalo, South Dakota, South Dakota State, BYU, Gonzaga Arizona State, etc.

If anything, there has been a shift westward.

Reaction Score
All you say is true and accurate. The real issues/question is: What does Uconn do? What conference other than the AAC will take Uconn (No FB). The Football issue won't fix itself or is their an inclination for Connecticut (STATE/University) to spend the dollars it will take--even with money how to draw FB and BB recruits.
Geno/Uconn can't get into the ACC, it was reported a school or 3 blocked them. Is Independent the right way (I don't think so, can he get 25 games OOC?
All those that have issues, as I do, with the AAC and recruiting: Lend a hand tell us how to fix it?? I mean reality, what will actually get it done? I have no suggestions.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom