AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco Not Worried About Big XII Expansion Talks (Orlando Sentinel) | The Boneyard

AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco Not Worried About Big XII Expansion Talks (Orlando Sentinel)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
AAC commissioner Mike Aresco not worried about Big 12 expansion talks

"Next week could mark the end or start of more Big 12 expansion talks as the league prepares for its annual spring meeting in Texas where leaders are expected to make a decision about adding two additional teams.

Either way, American Athletic Conference commissioner Mike Aresco says he isn't worried as teams like UCF, Houston and Memphis have seen their names circulated among expansion chatter.

"I think it will be good for everyone to have some clarity," Aresco told the Orlando Sentinel. "What I said in the past is basically, we’re going to keep a close eye out and we’ll monitor the situation but we don’t know what’s gonna happen. I don’t think anybody does. Our conference is, regardless of what happens, is going to remain strong. We have a good core group of schools.""

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Aresco is clowning this board so badly. "Monitoring the situation". Classic Mike Aresco stuff there.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Either way, American Athletic Conference commissioner Mike Aresco says he isn't worried as teams like UCF, Houston and Memphis have seen their names circulated among expansion chatter.

Once again, UConn isn't mentioned. I'm not sure if that is the writer or Aresco, though.

We can't get out of this shithole fast enough.

Reaction Score
The Sentinel reporter doesn't list UConn as having been mentioned in expansion chatter? Is he for real? Regarding Aresco, what's he going to say? BTW, I did find a clip of him starring in Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

I think I better understand his attitude...

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score
The AAC needs to not be a thing I never think about again. God help us.

ElGuapo

What does that mean, in-famous?
Reaction Score
Will wearing AAC badge'd UCONN shirts be cool or retro in 10 years when this nightmare is long behind us?
Like having old Big East stuff?
Does anyone actually own anything with UCONN and the AAC appearing next to each other on it?
Ugh. So depressing.

Reaction Score
Will wearing AAC badge'd UCONN shirts be cool or retro in 10 years when this nightmare is long behind us?
Like having old Big East stuff?
Does anyone actually own anything with UCONN and the AAC appearing next to each other on it?
Ugh. So depressing.
We should probably never talk of these years/this board if this conference nightmare ever ends.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
Once again, UConn isn't mentioned. I'm not sure if that is the writer or Aresco, though.

We can't get out of this shithole fast enough.
To be fair didn't mention Cinci either, so the two teams most talked about in terms of trying to get into the Big XII.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Never worry about things you can't control.

The only preparation Aresco needs to do in the event of a raid on the AAC is pick the best two CUSA schools near an airport. His job isn't that taxing.

Reaction Score

The only preparation Aresco needs to do in the event of a raid on the AAC is pick the best two CUSA schools near an airport. His job isn't that taxing.
Or take no one and stay at 10. Even easier job.

Reaction Score
Seriously guys I'm amongst the biggest Aresco bashers on the bosrd but what is he suppose to stay.
Of course he downplays UConn , our tier 3 tights are paying his salary.
Who else in the stable actually generates revenue.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
He isn't worried because he doesn't think anything is going to happen.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
They've been doing this since the first days of the AAC. We got snubbed in talks from Aresco when the whole ACC thing went down and everyone thought it was intentional because we were already out the door. Well, here we still are.

I put no stock in what Aresco says or when he fails to mention us. It all means nothing. I have complete faith that SH has us in the best position we can be in and is doing work behind the scenes.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Exactly - his checks don't bounce.

Reaction Score
We should probably never talk of these years/this board if this conference nightmare ever ends.

Unless UConn ends up in the BiG or SEC, the nightmare will never be over. Though the B12 provides a nicer neighborhood to spend sleepless nights.

Reaction Score
Exactly - his checks don't bounce.
I Disagree :
If it's UConn and UCinn his resignations will follow
Big East money is drying up. This guy is vastly overpaid for the job.
If he has any pride he will leave before being asked to.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I Disagree :
If it's UConn and UCinn his resignations will follow
Big East money is drying up. This guy is vastly overpaid for the job.
If he has any pride he will leave before being asked to.
Agreed that he's vastly overpaid, he gets 50% of what we get annually from TV rights, no? But why resign? He may as well ride this ship as far as it will take him, and collect a buyout/severance whenever the time comes.

Reaction Score
Agreed that he's vastly overpaid, he gets 50% of what we get annually from TV rights, no? But why resign? He may as well ride this ship as far as it will take him, and collect a buyout/severance whenever the time comes.

He needs to get a new TV contract done then see where he stands. His job depends on the next contract.

Reaction Score
An interesting quote in the above article was "Aresco continues to battle for more respect, saying the AAC should be classified as a Power Six conference, the way it was recognized before the Big East split and when there was a spot in the Bowl Championship Series."

Until the AAC earns at least half of what the poorer P5 conferences earn there is no way it can be a P6 league. If Aresco wants to improve the AAC the next TV contracts needs to really up the ante. AAC is a competitive conference on the field/court but its teams are making 10% of what the ACC teams are making.

The AAC is the best bargain in college football for ESPN. That deal needs to end..perhaps it made sense to establish the AAC brand and get its teams noticed by offering an initial IPO type deal to ESPN. But the next contract needs to up the rookie deal and move to the veteran player standard. Hopefully UConn won't have to worry about it after this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom