AAC commissioner discusses his league's football future and its sudden split with UConn | Page 3 | The Boneyard

AAC commissioner discusses his league's football future and its sudden split with UConn

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
1) I don’t really want you to leave. I have a ton of friends who are UConn fans and we enjoyed watching the games together. But, I don’t want UConn FB without UConn BB.

2) The destruction of your MBB program is largely a self made problem (bad hire) and memories of past BE glory by your fans. Other BB schools in the league have stepped up their game. Why did UConn fall behind?

3) The obsession by UConn fans about the SNY deal is confusing to me. Yes, you would have been able to make more money if you had been able to make your own T3 deal. But, every AAC member will make more money off the AAC TV deal than any G5 school and every independent except ND and (possibly) BYU. Why would ESPN want to pay $7m per year to UConn and not have all your MBB and WBB games on its networks? They certainly were paying that money to televise your FB games. They certainly didn’t let UCF/USF/UH keep its Tier 3 FB rights. They didn’t let Memphis keep its T3 basketball rights.

4) One last thing, ESPN essentially owns the AAC. If they want UConn to stay in the AAC for FB, the AAC would probably agree. Considering the tax breaks CT gave ESPN (and the number of UConn grads working in Bristol), CT state government should be trying to force ESPN to try to get the AAC to help out UConn.

Your sentiments about wanting to keep UConn are nice, but your school's leadership clearly doesn't agree. We know this from the outcome of the most recent contract negotiation.

As for your comments about not understanding our love for SNY; you don't sound like you're from the northeast then. NYC is very much the lifeblood of CT. Much of our financial health as a state is derived from it, and some of our best sports recruits come from it. Also, it's millions of eyeballs on our program. We refer to UConn as "the sixth borough".

The fact that you don't understand our relationship with the city is EXACTLY why we had to get the hell out of this ridiculous conference...

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
3) The obsession by UConn fans about the SNY deal is confusing to me. Yes, you would have been able to make more money if you had been able to make your own T3 deal. But, every AAC member will make more money off the AAC TV deal than any G5 school and every independent except ND and (possibly) BYU. Why would ESPN want to pay $7m per year to UConn and not have all your MBB and WBB games on its networks? They certainly were paying that money to televise your FB games. They certainly didn’t let UCF/USF/UH keep its Tier 3 FB rights. They didn’t let Memphis keep its T3 basketball rights.

4) One last thing, ESPN essentially owns the AAC. If they want UConn to stay in the AAC for FB, the AAC would probably agree. Considering the tax breaks CT gave ESPN (and the number of UConn grads working in Bristol), CT state government should be trying to force ESPN to try to get the AAC to help out UConn.

Buddy, you realize that when our WBB was folded into the new ESPN AAC contract it was completely inequitable because not one other AAC women’s BB program is worth two nickels. Therefore it was like UConn being asked to contribute a RollsRoyce to the kitty when everyone else brings a tricycle and then getting in return a used Ford Fusion. Yeah, the balance of the league got an upgrade, but solely on the backs of our downgrade. The arrogance of Aresco to assume we were up sheetz creek here and would have to accept this was a big gamble and he bet wrong.

Second big point, there is no P5 future for UConn aside from the outside chance the B1G or ACC come calling. We are not b12 material. And the b12 will not make the same mistake as the AAC and CUSA by adding non contiguous schools. It doesn’t work. You need rival alumni bases rubbing elbows at some capacity or there is no passion. With no passion ticket sales decline. UConn has decided our near zero odds are the same for P5 status regardless of where our football lies. After all did good football bring the B1G to rutty?

Lastly, ESPN is dominated by Syracuse people. They have never thrown UConn a bone once. For too long we have been a cats toys to them... something to play with. We shouldn’t poke ESPN in the eye on the way out the door to Fox/SNY, but there is no love loss there and really, it will be nice to be someplace that actually cares.

Reaction Score
Your sentiments about wanting to keep UConn are nice, but your school's leadership clearly doesn't agree. We know this from the outcome of the most recent contract negotiation.

As for your comments about not understanding our love for SNY; you don't sound like you're from the northeast then. NYC is very much the lifeblood of CT. Much of our financial health as a state is derived from it, and some of our best sports recruits come from it. Also, it's millions of eyeballs on our program. We refer to UConn as "the sixth borough".

The fact that you don't understand our relationship with the city is EXACTLY why we had to get the hell out of this ridiculous conference...

I lived in Hartford for well over a decade and probably averaged 1-2 FB games and 2-4 BB games per year during that time. Unless they were playing SMU, I cheered them on.

Furthermore, I get why BE BB is a good/better home for you. I just don’t think SNY should have been a dealbreaker. Normal, cable channels are losing subscribers. Anyone who lives in the Farmington Valley knows people who lost their jobs at a ESPN due to cord cutting.

I couldn’t find SNY’s subscriber count, but ESPN+ is growing fast.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I lived in Hartford for well over a decade and probably averaged 1-2 FB games and 2-4 BB games per year during that time. Unless they were playing SMU, I cheered them on.

Furthermore, I get why BE BB is a good/better home for you. I just don’t think SNY should have been a dealbreaker. Normal, cable channels are losing subscribers. Anyone who lives in the Farmington Valley knows people who lost their jobs at a ESPN due to cord cutting.

I couldn’t find SNY’s subscriber count, but ESPN+ is growing fast.

First off, if you lived in Hartford for a decade then you're not very bright. Nobody who has lived here for a decade talks the way you do about UConn-related issues.

Secondly, the SNY snub was only part of the greater screw job. Putting our women on ESPN+ with a fanbase average age of about 95 was going to alienate the entire supporting public.

Exposure was going to drop for less overall money in a conference with no rivals where all the members were completely fine with taking advantage of us to support the likes of Tulsa and SMU. Buh-bye...

Reaction Score
Buddy, you realize that when our WBB was folded into the new ESPN AAC contract it was completely inequitable because not one other AAC women’s BB program is worth two nickels. Therefore it was like UConn being asked to contribute a RollsRoyce to the kitty when everyone else brings a tricycle and then getting in return a used Ford Fusion. Yeah, the balance of the league got an upgrade, but solely on the backs of our downgrade. The arrogance of Aresco to assume we were up sheetz creek here and would have to accept this was a big gamble and he bet wrong.

Second big point, there is no P5 future for UConn aside from the outside chance the B1G or ACC come calling. We are not b12 material. And the b12 will not make the same mistake as the AAC and CUSA by adding non contiguous schools. It doesn’t work. You need rival alumni bases rubbing elbows at some capacity or there is no passion. With no passion ticket sales decline. UConn has decided our near zero odds are the same for P5 status regardless of where our football lies. After all did good football bring the B1G to rutty?

Lastly, ESPN is dominated by Syracuse people. They have never thrown UConn a bone once. For too long we have been a cats toys to them... something to play with. We shouldn’t poke ESPN in the eye on the way out the door to Fox/SNY, but there is no love loss there and really, it will be nice to be someplace that actually cares.

Women’s BB may be valuable. Indeed, that is why ESPN wanted it.

But, it was nowhere near the value of what UCF, USF, UH, Memphis, and Cincinnati contributed. Imagine Aresco trying to explain to their ADs that they would get less because UConn cut a side deal with SNY. How do you think that would have gone?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

But, it was nowhere near the value of what UCF, USF, UH, Memphis, and Cincinnati contributed. Imagine Aresco trying to explain to their ADs that they would get less because UConn cut a side deal with SNY. How do you think that would have gone?
How dense are you? It’s simple, exclude WBB from the new ESPN contract. This conversation is reaching new levels of stupid. No one prices football by school. You know that.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
How dense are you? It’s simple, exclude WBB from the new ESPN contract. This conversation is reaching new levels of stupid. No one prices football by school. You know that.

You can fix a lot of things in this life. You cannot fix "stupid"...

Reaction Score

If UCF, USF, UH, Memphis and Cincinnati were so valuable and truly attractive to media in areas as populated as the Tristate area+, they would have been Jonesing for side deals a la an SNY side deal. Typically, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, etc especially in lower populated and average per capita income markets doesn’t motivate media buyers.

Reaction Score

I realize the prestige of the UConn women's bball program, but at the end of the day it's still women's bball.

Your fans seemed to almost want a Longhorn Network type exemption from the AAC TV contract for women's bball? I've checked some ratings for women's basketball games and the ratings barely move the needle, for any team including UConn. Even NCAA tourney games featuring UConn don't get large ratings. It seems like the UConn fan base is greatly overvaluing women's basketball.

I know that post will sound insulting but I'm seriously having trouble understanding why UConn thought that women's bball was important enough to be excluded from a league TV contract.

Reaction Score
yeah, the only tough part with that is the balance we would have to strike with the new partners. It would give time for the schedule to settle and all, but the seasons will be all lost for all sports.
I can understand that the AAC could care less about us but I would still like to see us stay in the conference next season so we can end up with 8 or 9 wins and go to a bowl game. Then we will be a competitive team and have a good shot at some ACC teams coming to the Rent.

Reaction Score
I realize the prestige of the UConn women's bball program, but at the end of the day it's still women's bball.

Your fans seemed to almost want a Longhorn Network type exemption from the AAC TV contract for women's bball? I've checked some ratings for women's basketball games and the ratings barely move the needle, for any team including UConn. Even NCAA tourney games featuring UConn don't get large ratings. It seems like the UConn fan base is greatly overvaluing women's basketball.

I know that post will sound insulting but I'm seriously having trouble understanding why UConn thought that women's bball was important enough to be excluded from a league TV contract.

We were getting over $1 million a year from our TV deal with SNY. Under the latest AAC contract, that money just gets divvied up with the other schools. Plus, it is exposure in the number one media market in the country.

As far as ratings go, this is from a 2017 article:

SNY Enjoying Partnership With Geno Auriemma, UConn
When the New York-based sports network began televising the women’s college basketball team in Connecticut, executives were cautiously optimistic.
The UConn women’s basketball program was a staple on CPTV, so the people who run pay channel SNY figured ratings would not grow much in Connecticut. But there was potential to attract viewers in the Tri-State area, where the TV home of the Mets had a deep presence.

Five years later, UConn has been a ratings bonanza for SNY. The network took over as the Huskies were beginning a historic run, winning national titles over the first four years and losing in the Final Four last spring.
As UConn extended its winning streak to 111 games last season, SNY’s rating soared. In 17 telecasts last season — and remember, that’s not including marquee games that land on ESPN — SNY drew a 6.00 household rating in the Hartford-New Haven market, up 21 percent from the season before.

UConn games averaged a 0.42 household rating in New York, an 83 percent increase over the 2015-16 season. A game at Temple on Feb. 1 drew a larger audience in the New York market than an NHL doubleheader on NBCSN and seven other college basketball games on ESPN2, ESPNU and FS1.

The timing of the marriage has been ideal — UConn is 187-6 over the past five seasons, gaining national attention as it won titles and built a record winning streak.
“I think that there was something about the winning steak and just the sheer level of excellence that was exhibited by the winning streak,” SNY president Steve Raab said. “It isn’t as much a women’s basketball story as it’s an athletic leadership and excellence story. That takes on sort of a broader level of interest.”

On Thursday, SNY unveiled its 2017-18 lineup of UConn content. The network will televise 16 games, starting with the home opener Nov. 17 against California. All of the SNY games are also viewable outside of the Connecticut-New York-New Jersey markets on ESPN3, the Bristol-based company’s digital streaming option. Through its contract with the American Athletic Conference, ESPN has the option to pick up the SNY feed for digital use outside the local market and the network has elected to offer all of SNY’s game to a national audience.

Raab and SNY senior vice president and producer Curt Gowdy Jr. knew that Auriemma would be good. But this good?

“I don’t think coming into it we really knew exactly what we were getting with Geno,” Raab said. “The trust and the honesty that we’ve gotten from Geno as a media partner has actually been … to me, it was a surprise and more special. We knew he was a great coach. What I didn’t understand was that a lot of qualities that make him a great coach also made him a great partner for us.”

Said Gowdy, “He’s compelling, he’s unique. He says what’s one his mind. His coaching legend certainly speaks for itself. But as an individual, he quickly came to trust us. Once we gained his trust, which was very quickly, he allowed us to be part of his team. By that I mean, he allowed us into his locker room. He allowed us into his coaching meeting when we do our all-access shows. He allowed us to come on this trip to Italy. That’s the kind of relationship that has developed.”

Last season, HBO was also embedded in the program. That’s a sign of how well-known Auriemma and the program are on a national level.
Of the 13 million homes that SNY is available, 5 million are outside the Tri-State markets. Raab said the network cannot track ratings in those outside markets, but he suspects the numbers are growing.

This season, SNY is offering games and pregame and postgame coverage via SNY.tv and the NBC Sports app to authenticated subscribers to the network. The streaming may be just the start as SNY pushes UConn content on various platforms.
For UConn, it’s an opportunity to market the school to a broader audience. The appeal of striking a deal with SNY was to spread the school’s brand into the New York market.

“This is a program that sort of stands for a level of excellence, that isn’t bounded by the state of Connecticut or bounded by the Northeast,” Raab said. “It’s become a national property. And with Geno’s notoriety from an Olympic standpoint, I don’t think there’s any reason to think that we can’t keep pushing the boundaries of what the UConn basketball program stands for and what that fan base might be.”

Reaction Score
UConn women’s basketball averages better TV ratings in Hartford/New Haven than Red Sox baseball, ‘Thursday Night Football,’ SNY says

MAR 12, 2019

As women’s basketball television ratings rise across the country, Connecticut seems to be no exception.

SNY, which broadcasts UConn women’s basketball, announced Tuesday that the Huskies had averaged a 6.00 household rating in the Hartford/New Haven market this season, a higher number than that of Red Sox games, Bruins games and “Thursday Night Football” typically receive in the region.

“This partnership with SNY is unlike any other in the country,” UConn athletic director David Benedict said in a statement. “SNY’s commitment to UConn and its fans is unmatched, from comprehensive gameday coverage, including pre- and post-game shows, to the many hours of additional UConn-related content.”

“SNY has helped grow UConn’s audience not only in its home state but also across the New York Metro area and beyond," Steve Raab, SNY’s president, added. “Our breadth of programming is unparalleled and goes far beyond the live games, giving fans inside access to this legendary basketball program”.

UConn women’s basketball averages better TV ratings in Hartford/New Haven than Red Sox baseball, ‘Thursday Night Football,’ SNY says

Reaction Score
We were getting over $1 million a year from our TV deal with SNY. Under the latest AAC contract, that money just gets divvied up with the other schools. Plus, it is exposure in the number one media market in the country.

As far as ratings go, this is from a 2017 article:

When the New York-based sports network began televising the women’s college basketball team in Connecticut, executives were cautiously optimistic.
The UConn women’s basketball program was a staple on CPTV, so the people who run pay channel SNY figured ratings would not grow much in Connecticut. But there was potential to attract viewers in the Tri-State area, where the TV home of the Mets had a deep presence.

Five years later, UConn has been a ratings bonanza for SNY. The network took over as the Huskies were beginning a historic run, winning national titles over the first four years and losing in the Final Four last spring.
As UConn extended its winning streak to 111 games last season, SNY’s rating soared. In 17 telecasts last season — and remember, that’s not including marquee games that land on ESPN — SNY drew a 6.00 household rating in the Hartford-New Haven market, up 21 percent from the season before.

UConn games averaged a 0.42 household rating in New York, an 83 percent increase over the 2015-16 season. A game at Temple on Feb. 1 drew a larger audience in the New York market than an NHL doubleheader on NBCSN and seven other college basketball games on ESPN2, ESPNU and FS1.

The timing of the marriage has been ideal — UConn is 187-6 over the past five seasons, gaining national attention as it won titles and built a record winning streak.
“I think that there was something about the winning steak and just the sheer level of excellence that was exhibited by the winning streak,” SNY president Steve Raab said. “It isn’t as much a women’s basketball story as it’s an athletic leadership and excellence story. That takes on sort of a broader level of interest.”

On Thursday, SNY unveiled its 2017-18 lineup of UConn content. The network will televise 16 games, starting with the home opener Nov. 17 against California. All of the SNY games are also viewable outside of the Connecticut-New York-New Jersey markets on ESPN3, the Bristol-based company’s digital streaming option. Through its contract with the American Athletic Conference, ESPN has the option to pick up the SNY feed for digital use outside the local market and the network has elected to offer all of SNY’s game to a national audience.

Raab and SNY senior vice president and producer Curt Gowdy Jr. knew that Auriemma would be good. But this good?

“I don’t think coming into it we really knew exactly what we were getting with Geno,” Raab said. “The trust and the honesty that we’ve gotten from Geno as a media partner has actually been … to me, it was a surprise and more special. We knew he was a great coach. What I didn’t understand was that a lot of qualities that make him a great coach also made him a great partner for us.”

Said Gowdy, “He’s compelling, he’s unique. He says what’s one his mind. His coaching legend certainly speaks for itself. But as an individual, he quickly came to trust us. Once we gained his trust, which was very quickly, he allowed us to be part of his team. By that I mean, he allowed us into his locker room. He allowed us into his coaching meeting when we do our all-access shows. He allowed us to come on this trip to Italy. That’s the kind of relationship that has developed.”

Last season, HBO was also embedded in the program. That’s a sign of how well-known Auriemma and the program are on a national level.
Of the 13 million homes that SNY is available, 5 million are outside the Tri-State markets. Raab said the network cannot track ratings in those outside markets, but he suspects the numbers are growing.

This season, SNY is offering games and pregame and postgame coverage via SNY.tv and the NBC Sports app to authenticated subscribers to the network. The streaming may be just the start as SNY pushes UConn content on various platforms.
For UConn, it’s an opportunity to market the school to a broader audience. The appeal of striking a deal with SNY was to spread the school’s brand into the New York market.

“This is a program that sort of stands for a level of excellence, that isn’t bounded by the state of Connecticut or bounded by the Northeast,” Raab said. “It’s become a national property. And with Geno’s notoriety from an Olympic standpoint, I don’t think there’s any reason to think that we can’t keep pushing the boundaries of what the UConn basketball program stands for and what that fan base might be.”

Yes, but that's like being the tallest midget. Just because they are getting higher ratings than other low rated content doesn't make the product valuable.

I just have trouble understanding why UConn thought they deserved special treatment just because their women's bball team brought in more money than their conference. Did UC or UCF deserve bigger shares of the contract because their football teams brought in higher tv ratings? Should Tulane and Tulsa get peanuts because they blow in everything? I'm just not seeing UConn's point of view on this.

Reaction Score

Why wouldn't UConn women's basketball revenue be split up (or be part of the package) in the AAC deal???

That's the one UConn sport that is producing... and its ladies basketball.

Does that mean the sports the other members are carrying the load in stay with them??

For instance, UConn is a net negative in the Football Massey Ratings... Should Football payouts be skewed toward UCF???

Has the new big east signed off on this special deal?

Part of being in a conference is contributing in the areas you're strong in.. and benefitting from the other members strengths.

Attachments

• jaguars-fan-gif-5.gif
    jaguars-fan-gif-5.gif
    1.2 MB · Views: 27

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Why wouldn't UConn women's basketball revenue be split up (or be part of the package) in the AAC deal???

That's the one UConn sport that is producing... and its ladies basketball.

Does that mean the sports the other members are carrying the load in stay with them??

For instance, UConn is a net negative in the Football Massey Ratings... Should Football payouts be skewed toward UCF???

Has the new big east signed off on this special deal?

Part of being in a conference is contributing in the areas you're strong in.. and benefitting from the other members strengths.
This is exasperating. Time to pack it up and just play in your own space on some Memphis board. This conversation is reads as if you were in fact born yesterday.

Reaction Score
Yes, but that's like being the tallest midget. Just because they are getting higher ratings than other low rated content doesn't make the product valuable.

I just have trouble understanding why UConn thought they deserved special treatment just because their women's bball team brought in more money than their conference. Did UC or UCF deserve bigger shares of the contract because their football teams brought in higher tv ratings? Should Tulane and Tulsa get peanuts because they blow in everything? I'm just not seeing UConn's point of view on this.

UConn has had a separate TV deal for women's basketball for 25 years. The value of the content is over $1 million to UConn.

Is the loss of this the reason why UConn is leaving the AAC? No. Just read the other posts regarding the AAC TV contract. And it is not just the TV contract.

Reaction Score
There is $0 TV value to AAC women’s basketball without UConn. It is the only sport where the TV value is controlled by 1 team. ESPN obviously played hardball with Aresco thinking that UConn had no options. Aresco folded and did not protect UConn’s financial position. Whether ESPN re-negotiates or not, they are taking a financial hit by losing UConn women’s hoops as a feature.

If UConn was not included on the list of schools whose departure would re-open the negotiations it means that Aresco's big bargaining coup was to protect the rest of the AAC from UConn's departure. Aresco forced ESPN to take the gamble that UConn would stay. Rather than negotiate for UConn's Teir 3 rights, he negotiated a way to soften UConn's departure.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Alea iacta est....

UConn and the AAC have a year.

You can debate the "whys", whether efficacious....but it is done.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom