AAC commissioner discusses his league's football future and its sudden split with UConn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

AAC commissioner discusses his league's football future and its sudden split with UConn

Reaction Score
UConn cant have its cake and eat it too. Yall keep complaining about how the AAC sucks yet you wanna keep football here. It doesn't work that way. Yall took yall ball and went home, take your football home as well.
Ya’ll go play in your own house. No one says the AAC sucks, but we don’t have a multi billionaire funding our program. This is a financial move, and yeah, for UConn the AAC does suck.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
UConn cant have its cake and eat it too. Yall keep complaining about how the AAC sucks yet you wanna keep football here. It doesn't work that way. Yall took yall ball and went home, take your football home as well.
Well, it’s kind up to you guys isn’t it? If you let us out of the conference early, we will leave early. If you don’t then we’re here for 27 more months. The thing I find interesting was that there is a rumor out there that says the ESPN media deal won’t be reduced if UConn leaves. If that’s true, one would think that you guys would like us to leave early so that you can get that increased payout. In fact, it probably makes sense for you to reduce the buy out to encourage us to leave early.

Just saying.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Read closer, many are ready to go independent ASAP, it’s better for us financially anyway. This is really about the 2020 season.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I love how Houston and SMU fans are on this board complaining about our departure.

If you really didn't want us to leave, maybe you shouldn't have tried to profit off of our destruction in the most recent contract! We wouldn't be leaving if all y'all weren't trying to monetize our best teams on a streaming service. Now, you can enjoy all the "plus" you want...

Reaction Score
Go polish all your NCAA national championship trophies in men's and women's basketball. Whoops, sorry, I forgot...you don't have any. Well, you've always got those ancient trophies in men's golf over there in the corner collecting dust. Shine those babies up. You can leave now, Mr. Troll.

Thank you for your interest in UConn sports. Have a nice day, now signing off from the Capital of College Basketball, Storrs, Connecticut, USA. (15 combined NCAA DI national championships in college basketball...more than any school in the country)
and writing out “y’all” ...that’s as fakeazz southern as it comes.

Reaction Score
Scuuuuuuz me !

Been sayin' y'all all my life...nothing wrong with y'all except when youse guys do it.

But use it correctly. And, Dan, I give you kudos for correct use of all y'all.

Singular...to one person...as in y'all come back soon.

Plural..up to five people...y'all come back soon

More than five...All y'all come back soon.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
More than five...All y'all come back soon.

We wouldn't be leaving if all y'all weren't trying to monetize our best teams on a streaming service.

Wait, more than 5 for "all y'all"???

I may have overestimated the amount of Houston and SMU fans...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
CBS Sports: Is this situation unique to UConn or a symptom of Group of Five struggles keeping up with the Power Five?
Aresco: … We did everything we could knowing they were unhappy about things.
What did they do?

Reaction Score
What did they do?

I think he's probably talking about letting UConn host both the Mens and Womens hoops tournaments.
UConn apparently was also one of the main voices behind an Olympics-sports addition in 2017.
Conference offices stayed in the Northeast until the upcoming move.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Here’s a “two state” solution.

UConn exits the AAC July 2020.
UConn plays eight games against the AAC out of conference for 2020 to keep everyone’s schedule in balance. We could negotiate the exit fee and tv rights to our home games in this season as part of the deal. Since we are non a member we won’t have access to the AAC bowls / etc in 2020. Politically Aresco can argue he was tough on us and didn’t really give us anything other than a one year scheduling alliance.
UConn plays a full independent schedule for 2021 under a new SNY tv contract.

Reaction Score
When you see the words in brackets they aren't a part of Aresco's quote, they're the interviewer trying to provide context. When you read that it's pretty clear that Aresco is saying UConn won't be playing in our conference, but we plan to enforce the terms of the agreement, meaning that UConn will have to negotiate out early. There is nothing there directly from Aresco that's he's going to both kick out UConn and enforce 27 months... CBS sports added the [after 2019]

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
What did they do?

LOL! Does "...doing everything you could..." also include torpedoing our SNY deal just because none of the other schools could benefit from it. Divvying up every single teams' Tier 3 rights and giving every school a share is sorta like Communism, isn't it Mike? The only problem is none of the other schools have any Tier 3 rights, so giving up our Tier 3 rights helps everybody else in the conference but us. What an assclown this guy is. I'd love to get him in a courtroom so he can explain all this BS to a jury.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I could be in a room with 20 women and no men, and I would still say, "Hey you guys!"

You're right... I've never been in a room with 20 women and no guys...

Time to visit the Castle Anthrax...for the peril.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Possibly known as bagmen.

The Koch Brothers in Wichita own a business empire. Tillman Fertitta in Houston owns the Rockets and the Landry's restaurant chain, which includes about 35 brand offshoots. The problem with bagmen in America these days is that many of them have become very respectable.

It reminds me of Eddie DeBartolo, Jr., former owner of the SF 49'ers. Eddie is a gangster in Youngstown, Ohio. The NFL always knew about Eddie, but since he had the most successful franchise in the NFL, they looked the other way. Eventually the feds got him for tax evasion and money laundering, so the NFL was forced to ditch him by making him sell the franchise. That this guy is in the NFL HOF is disgusting.

Reaction Score
I love how Houston and SMU fans are on this board complaining about our departure.

If you really didn't want us to leave, maybe you shouldn't have tried to profit off of our destruction in the most recent contract! We wouldn't be leaving if all y'all weren't trying to monetize our best teams on a streaming service. Now, you can enjoy all the "plus" you want...

1) I don’t really want you to leave. I have a ton of friends who are UConn fans and we enjoyed watching the games together. But, I don’t want UConn FB without UConn BB.

2) The destruction of your MBB program is largely a self made problem (bad hire) and memories of past BE glory by your fans. Other BB schools in the league have stepped up their game. Why did UConn fall behind?

3) The obsession by UConn fans about the SNY deal is confusing to me. Yes, you would have been able to make more money if you had been able to make your own T3 deal. But, every AAC member will make more money off the AAC TV deal than any G5 school and every independent except ND and (possibly) BYU. Why would ESPN want to pay $7m per year to UConn and not have all your MBB and WBB games on its networks? They certainly were paying that money to televise your FB games. They certainly didn’t let UCF/USF/UH keep its Tier 3 FB rights. They didn’t let Memphis keep its T3 basketball rights.

4) One last thing, ESPN essentially owns the AAC. If they want UConn to stay in the AAC for FB, the AAC would probably agree. Considering the tax breaks CT gave ESPN (and the number of UConn grads working in Bristol), CT state government should be trying to force ESPN to try to get the AAC to help out UConn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom