AAC commissioner discusses his league's football future and its sudden split with UConn | The Boneyard

AAC commissioner discusses his league's football future and its sudden split with UConn

Reaction Score
Mike Aresco should be hiking in Switzerland. Unfortunately, that European vacation is off now that UConn has bolted the American Athletic Conference. The news hit the AAC's commissioner last week about the same shocking way it hit all of us.
"I went to bed early that [Friday] night," Aresco said. "I put my phone on mute so I wouldn't wake my wife. Sure enough, when I checked my phone in the morning, all hell broke loose."

"Look, I don't know what their attitude is toward football, but it's pretty evident," Aresco said. "They just have new priorities now."

CBS Sports: How surprised were you last week when the news broke?
Aresco: "At that point, I talked to UConn. They were noncommittal about what they were doing. I sort of suspected what was going on by then. Did it come as a huge surprise? No. It's not something I necessarily expected, but it's been percolating for some time."

CBS Sports: Is this situation unique to UConn or a symptom of Group of Five struggles keeping up with the Power Five?
Aresco: "I don't know. UConn occupied a unique place, the one school that didn't get into the P5. It's been tough for them. I'm not losing any sleep about how we dealt with UConn over the years. … We did everything we could knowing they were unhappy about things. Look, I don't know what their attitude is toward football, but it's pretty evident. They just have new priorities now."

CBS Sports: Where do you think UConn football ends up now?
Aresco: "I can't say. The one thing I can tell you, they won't be playing in our conference [after 2019]."

CBS Sports: Have any particulars been discussed on UConn's buyout? (League bylaws state any departing member has to give 27-month notice and pay $10 million.)
Aresco: "We'll strictly abide by the bylaws. They are going to have to approach us on that. If they want to leave earlier, something has be negotiated on that."

AAC commissioner discusses his league's football future and its sudden split with UConn

Reaction Score
CBS Sports: Where do you think UConn football ends up now?
Aresco: "I can't say. The one thing I can tell you, they won't be playing in our conference [after 2019]."

CBS Sports: Have any particulars been discussed on UConn's buyout? (League bylaws state any departing member has to give 27-month notice and pay $10 million.)
Aresco: "We'll strictly abide by the bylaws. They are going to have to approach us on that. If they want to leave earlier, something has be negotiated on that."

"They won't be allowed to stay beyond 12 months. Also they have to stay 27 months and pay a buyout." Yikes. The biggest loser in all this is our Law School :(

Reaction Score
Lol that's the best part. We haven't made any official comments about leaving early. I hope our lawyers hang that up on the wall.

Didn't the Big East announce we were joining on 7/1/20?

Reaction Score
I think the thought is that there has been announcements in the press of the intent by UConn to play in the Big East in 2020.

If UConn, instead, stays for the required 27 months, football would not, could not, be kicked out.

The negotiation, I'd bet, is about the consequences, if any, of the contract breach if less than 27 months notice is given.

Reaction Score
As UCONN's 2020 schedule only lists the 4 OOC games, I'm willing to bet that the Huskies play in the AAC through that season. This accomplishes 2 goals: decreasing the buyout & allowing Benedict & Co. time to put together a schedule for the 2021 season & going forward. This is where FOX can lend assistance.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
As UCONN's 2020 schedule only lists the 4 OOC games, I'm willing to bet that the Huskies play in the AAC through that season. This accomplishes 2 goals: decreasing the buyout & allowing Benedict & Co. time to put together a schedule for the 2021 season & going forward. This is where FOX can lend assistance.
yeah, the only tough part with that is the balance we would have to strike with the new partners. It would give time for the schedule to settle and all, but the seasons will be all lost for all sports.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
"They won't be allowed to stay beyond 12 months. Also they have to stay 27 months and pay a buyout." Yikes. The biggest loser in all this is our Law School :(
Lol that's the best part. We haven't made any official comments about leaving early. I hope our lawyers hang that up on the wall.
Was just thinking the same thing. So we have to negotiate out of the 27 months, but they can kick us out of football for 12 months? This guy continues to be a moron.
He didn’t say “after 2019”. That was in parentheses. Whoever transcribed it mistakenly interpreted that.

Separately the big east contract allows us joining up to three years from now depending on how we negotiate with the AAC. Clearly the goal is to be out by 20-21 basketball season.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

This would be a good idea, but I'm afraid that Aresco is acting like a collosal jackass and will never do anything in the future if he thinks it benefits UConn. That includes us playing in the AAC in 2020.

Right now, if he could think of some legal way to do it without forfeiting the buyout, I think the AAC would throw us out of the conference immediately, like the old Big East did to Temple football.

There's got to be way more bad blood behind the scenes between these two guys than anybody knows about. They seem to be making this very personal.

Reaction Score
UConn cant have its cake and eat it too. Yall keep complaining about how the AAC sucks yet you wanna keep football here. It doesn't work that way. Yall took yall ball and went home, take your football home as well.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
UConn cant have its cake and eat it too. Yall keep complaining about how the AAC sucks yet you wanna keep football here. It doesn't work that way. Yall took yall ball and went home, take your football home as well.

Go polish all your NCAA national championship trophies in men's and women's basketball. Whoops, sorry, I forgot...you don't have any. Well, you've always got those ancient trophies in men's golf over there in the corner collecting dust. Shine those babies up. You can leave now, Mr. Troll.

Thank you for your interest in UConn sports. Have a nice day, now signing off from the Capital of College Basketball, Storrs, Connecticut, USA. (15 combined NCAA DI national championships in college basketball...more than any school in the country)

Reaction Score
Go polish all your NCAA national championship trophies in men's and women's basketball. Whoops, sorry, I forgot...you don't have any. Well, you've always got those ancient trophies in men's golf over there in the corner collecting dust. Shine those babies up. You can leave now, Mr. Troll.

Thank you for your interest in UConn sports. Have a nice day, now signing off from the Capital of College Basketball, Storrs, Connecticut, USA. (15 combined NCAA DI national championships in college basketball...more than any school in the country)
They got golf titles.

Not all of us were whining about the AAC, but some of our fans didn't react well to a rebuild in the AAC, and the AAC underpaid. So here we are. We also don't have donors like some of these schools do, such as Memphis, Houston and Wichita State.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
You can’t have your cake and eat it too. You talk about the AAC being great and you’d stab your mother to leave tomorrow. Keep pretending you enjoy life as the tallest midget. Toodles!

Reaction Score
Cougar...When you get past the smack throwing, and school pride thing and think about this move a little....it makes a certain sense.

The OBE was the best basketball conference of all but there was a rift between the football schools and basketball schools...with the result that VT and Miami looked elswhere...and the devolution went on from there.

UConn has always been a basketball school, but moved into FBS football just in time to get caught in the rift .

And was left on the football side when the catholic 7 picked up their bouncy ball and left.

In a way, this is a natural "righting"...returning to the basketball side.

Of course everyone is hoping that football can rebuild and survive while recognizing that it is basketball that is UConn's brand.

Reaction Score
The Northeast is not a football hot bed. UConn has no regional rivals in the AAC. Travel is killing us financially and really terrible for the athletes. The fans have no connection to most of the AAC schools. The AAC TV contract wouldn’t allow tier 3 rights which UConn would enjoy with SNY which is not only financially advantageous to UConn, but is broadcast to millions of TV’s around the country. Women’s basketball on SNY gets higher ratings in the New York/Hartford area than Thursday night football.

I know in Houston it’s not understandable, but if you were us, you would do the same. And you also know, if the B12 came knocking, you guys would jump. Best of luck to you and your program. I always enjoyed the games, but you know we never considered each other rivals and that all along has always been the biggest problem.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom