AAC Coaching Carousel | The Boneyard

AAC Coaching Carousel

Reaction Score
From ESPN: Your giant, end-of-regular-season coach carousel primer

Storylines
3. UCLA: Ah, the elephant in the room. The job has been vacant since New Year's Eve, and there hasn't been a ton of activity. Tony Bennett has been at the top of UCLA's short list for several weeks, and it's likely that the Virginia head coach will ultimately say no. Fred Hoiberg has spoken to the powers-that-be in charge of the search, and he remains a candidate. There are a number of other names being thrown around, including Tennessee's Rick Barnes, Cincinnati's Mick Cronin, Washington's Mike Hopkins and Purdue's Matt Painter, while Los Angeles Lakers coach Luke Walton could be an option, depending on the timeline. It doesn't sound like UCLA is too close to a decision, though.

Could go either way
SMU: This seems early, but the whispers have been getting louder down the stretch for Tim Jankovich and the Mustangs. They've lost eight of their past nine and have won 11 conference games the past two seasons combined. It's an attractive job, thanks to the renovated arena and the talent-rich area that surrounds Dallas. Musselman has been mentioned as a potential name, and there is also some buzz that Alabama's Avery Johnson could be on the short list. The American Athletic Conference has made some big-time hires in recent years; could pressure be on SMU to be next?

Others to keep an eye on
Tulane:
The buzz is growing that Mike Dunleavy Sr. is not long for college coaching. Given that his first 22 years of coaching were spent in the NBA and he had zero college coaching experience before taking over the Green Wave in 2016, that's not a huge surprise. They're also one of the worst teams in the country, and they had an 18-game losing streak heading into Wednesday. Could someone such as Andy Kennedy get back into coaching at Tulane?

Big names to watch
Kelvin Sampson, Houston: Sampson has turned around Houston and made the Cougars nationally relevant again, and there's some buzz that he doesn't want to leave just yet. However, expect Texas A&M -- and Arkansas if it opens up -- to make a run at him.

Gregg Marshall, Wichita State: His star has waned somewhat the past couple years, but he went to seven consecutive NCAA tournaments before this season -- and took Wichita State to a Final Four in 2013. If there's a massive carousel this spring, he will land a big job.

Mick Cronin, Cincinnati: Another coach who has had consistent success for years, Cronin has been to eight NCAA tournaments in a row and has the Bearcats on their way to another. He's likely going to be a backup option for the biggest jobs that open.

Reaction Score
I don't think any big program wants to touch Mick with a 10 foot pole after he basically accepted the UNLV job then did a 180 back to Cincy. His stock was much higher a year or two ago. IF he was able to make a run to a Sweet 16 it would help. I just don't see him leaving.

Reaction Score
From ESPN: Your giant, end-of-regular-season coach carousel primer

Storylines
3. UCLA: Ah, the elephant in the room. The job has been vacant since New Year's Eve, and there hasn't been a ton of activity. Tony Bennett has been at the top of UCLA's short list for several weeks, and it's likely that the Virginia head coach will ultimately say no. Fred Hoiberg has spoken to the powers-that-be in charge of the search, and he remains a candidate. There are a number of other names being thrown around, including Tennessee's Rick Barnes, Cincinnati's Mick Cronin, Washington's Mike Hopkins and Purdue's Matt Painter, while Los Angeles Lakers coach Luke Walton could be an option, depending on the timeline. It doesn't sound like UCLA is too close to a decision, though.

Could go either way
SMU: This seems early, but the whispers have been getting louder down the stretch for Tim Jankovich and the Mustangs. They've lost eight of their past nine and have won 11 conference games the past two seasons combined. It's an attractive job, thanks to the renovated arena and the talent-rich area that surrounds Dallas. Musselman has been mentioned as a potential name, and there is also some buzz that Alabama's Avery Johnson could be on the short list. The American Athletic Conference has made some big-time hires in recent years; could pressure be on SMU to be next?

Others to keep an eye on
Tulane:
The buzz is growing that Mike Dunleavy Sr. is not long for college coaching. Given that his first 22 years of coaching were spent in the NBA and he had zero college coaching experience before taking over the Green Wave in 2016, that's not a huge surprise. They're also one of the worst teams in the country, and they had an 18-game losing streak heading into Wednesday. Could someone such as Andy Kennedy get back into coaching at Tulane?

Big names to watch
Kelvin Sampson, Houston: Sampson has turned around Houston and made the Cougars nationally relevant again, and there's some buzz that he doesn't want to leave just yet. However, expect Texas A&M -- and Arkansas if it opens up -- to make a run at him.

Gregg Marshall, Wichita State: His star has waned somewhat the past couple years, but he went to seven consecutive NCAA tournaments before this season -- and took Wichita State to a Final Four in 2013. If there's a massive carousel this spring, he will land a big job.

Mick Cronin, Cincinnati: Another coach who has had consistent success for years, Cronin has been to eight NCAA tournaments in a row and has the Bearcats on their way to another. He's likely going to be a backup option for the biggest jobs that open.
Retaining coaches has been the biggest problem with AAC football. Hopefully schools pony up to keep their basketball coaches.

SubInATub

I have midnight visits
Reaction Score
Wichita losing Marshall would be tragic. We can expect them to fight for last place with Tulane every season.

Reaction Score
I think Sampson is the only one who is in real danger of leaving for a "better" job. Could Tulane fire Dunleavy? Sure, that could happen, but there's nowhere to go but up. Tim Jankovich is still dealing with recruiting limitations and his best player has been hurt almost all year. Don't think he gets canned.

Reaction Score
Maybe Danny Manning would take over Wichita State!

Reaction Score
You haven’t watched much college basketball this year. Virginia can score

You missed his point. They are always efficient. This is the quickest tempo team in years for UVA. They are 203rd in points per game.

Reaction Score
Conversely, getting Musselman or, to a lesser extent, Avery Johnson would be nice for the conference.

How is Musselman not being mentioned for the UCLA job?

Reaction Score
I think Sampson is the only one who is in real danger of leaving for a "better" job. Could Tulane fire Dunleavy? Sure, that could happen, but there's nowhere to go but up. Tim Jankovich is still dealing with recruiting limitations and his best player has been hurt almost all year. Don't think he gets canned.
Houston is going to pay Sampson after this season. As long as he stills wants to be there he will stay. Their billionaire donor will write a huge check.

Reaction Score

Of the names they mentioned, I don’t think Arkansas would touch Sampson with a 10 foot poll. TAMU might be interested but I’m actually not convinced that’s a better job than Houston.

Reaction Score
Because they're a good basketball team with a good fanbase and a lot of financial support behind the program. Marshall isn't going anywhere. Marshall makes more than Hurley does.

It's nice that they have support. Not so nice that they have no market. They don't help UConn when it comes to money, and I question their ability to remain relevant when Marshall leaves.

Reaction Score
It's nice that they have support. Not so nice that they have no market. They don't help UConn when it comes to money, and I question their ability to remain relevant when Marshall leaves.

The Koch’s will pay for a quality coach,

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

I don't think he's going to. I see him as the Mark Few of that school. Family is so embedded in the community there.

He's already had a lot of interest over the years. He probably would have gone already.

Reaction Score

Like we’ve been relevant the last few years...

Reaction Score
I don't think he's going to. I see him as the Mark Few of that school. Family is so embedded in the community there.

He's already had a lot of interest over the years. He probably would have gone already.

I believe he rebuffed UCLA. He likely requires a UK, Duke, KU, UNC-esque job to leave.

Reaction Score
Like we’ve been relevant the last few years...

Wichita vs. Connecticut

One is a town of 300,000, one is a state of 3.6 million people.

I highly doubt that Wichita State enabled a cable channel to charge 1 million cable subscribers an extra $1 per month for the rights to its basketball teams.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom