AAC Breaks Into Top 25 | The Boneyard

AAC Breaks Into Top 25

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
23 is ridiculously low. ECU beats VT who beats OSU and they are ranked lower? For the record, BYU is too low too. Better get used to it: this is the new college football model. Absurd preseason rankings and crystal clear favoring of P5 schools over G5 schools.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
23 is ridiculously low. ECU beats VT who beats OSU and they are ranked lower? For the record, BYU is too low too. Better get used to it: this is the new college football model. Absurd preseason rankings and crystal clear favoring of P5 schools over G5 schools.

New model?

Reaction Score
New model?

He's referring to the Power 5 crap. The powers that be, ESPN being the main culpret are creating a world of have's and have not's. The new model says the P5 are the superior teams. When a Group of 5 team shows superiority over P5 teams and cracks the top 25 it exposes the flaw in their model. That's why if many in the P5 had their druthers they would only play games amoung the P5. I can't wait to see how they squirm if Cincy beats Ohio State. Then again, they will probably answer with East Carolina getting an invite to the ACC and Cincy an invite to the BigXII!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
He's referring to the Power 5 crap. The powers that be, ESPN being the main culpret are creating a world of have's and have not's. The new model says the P5 are the superior teams. When a Group of 5 team shows superiority over P5 teams and cracks the top 25 it exposes the flaw in their model. That's why if many in the P5 had their druthers they would only play games amoung the P5. I can't wait to see how they squirm if Cincy beats Ohio State. Then again, they will probably answer with East Carolina getting an invite to the ACC and Cincy an invite to the BigXII!

Thanks. I was pointing out the polls have always favored the same schools.

Reaction Score

That's true too. They do whatever sells. The deck has always been stacked but now these new mechanics are getting pretty obnoxious about it!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That's true too. They do whatever sells. The deck has always been stacked but now these new mechanics are getting pretty obnoxious about it!

As much as people don't want to hear it there might be 2 G5 teams worth worrying about this season. If you want to get upset that ECU is 23rd instead of say 18th that's fine.

If you've watched BYU and you think hey that's one of the four best teams in the country.... I don't know how to respond to that.

Reaction Score
As much as people don't want to hear it there might be 2 G5 teams worth worrying about this season. If you want to get upset that ECU is 23rd instead of say 18th that's fine.

If you've watched BYU and you think hey that's one of the four best teams in the country.... I don't know how to respond to that.

It will be interesting to see what will happen if BYU runs the table. Their last game of the season is with CAL. The powers that be will be able to make some determinations based on CAL's overall performance. Amazing that AZ scored 36 pts in the 4th quarter to overtake CAL

The AAC has 2 top 25 Potentials:

1. East Carolina
2. Cincinnati

and while I am at it two more really good teams.

3. UCF
4. Houston

4 Midland teams:

Tulane
USF
Temple
Memphis

3 Really poor teams

SMU
Tulsa
UCONN

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see what will happen if BYU runs the table. Their last game of the season is with CAL. The powers that be will be able to make some determinations based on CAL's overall performance. Amazing that AZ scored 36 pts in the 4th quarter to overtake CAL

1. East Carolina
2. Cincinnati

3. UCF
4. Houston

4 Midland teams:

Tulane
USF
Temple
Memphis

3 Really poor teams

SMU
Tulsa
UCONN

I can tell you right now there is no way BYU is getting invited to the playoffs. Zero percent chance.

Reaction Score
I can tell you right now there is no way BYU is getting invited to the playoffs. Zero percent chance.

I agree. but it will still be interesting to hear what the talking heads say if BYU or Cincinnati goes undefeated.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I agree. but it will still be interesting to hear what the talking heads say if BYU or Cincinnati goes undefeated.

Marshall has a much better chance of going undefeated than Cincinnati and they will say they didn't play a good enough schedule - because they didn't.

Reaction Score
Remember when USF beat auburn and was ranked 2 in the nation way back in 2007, I would say the model has changed a little from then.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Remember when USF beat auburn and was ranked 2 in the nation way back in 2007, I would say the model has changed a little from then.

Maybe when a G5 team deserves a high ranking and doesn't get it you can arrive at that conclusion. The Big East did get more credit than the AAC - but they did also deserve it.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score

1. East Carolina
2. Cincinnati

3. UCF
4. Houston

4 Midland teams:

Tulane
USF
Temple
Memphis

3 Really poor teams

SMU
Tulsa
UCONN

While it's still early, Memphis seems like it could be better than Houston. Their one loss was a close one at #11 ranked (at the time) UCLA. They'll likely get whupped at #10 Ole Miss this weekend but I think they have a pretty good chance of beating Cincinnati on the road and Houston at home. If that did by some miracle happen, they don't face ECU or UCF this year and could be undefeated in conference...

Reaction Score
Marshall has a much better chance of going undefeated than Cincinnati and they will say they didn't play a good enough schedule - because they didn't.
I agree because Cincinnati has Miami (FL), Ohio State and ECU. However if by chance, Cincy runs the table there could be a case for them making the playoff. USF blowing away Baylor in the Fiesta bowl won't hurt them either. No question it's a long shot.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I agree because Cincinnati has Miami (FL), Ohio State and ECU. However if by chance, Cincy runs the table there could be a case for them making the playoff. USF blowing away Baylor in the Fiesta bowl won't hurt them either. No question it's a long shot.

Why not have Cinci beat Ohio State before even worrying about them. They are 2-0 and barely beat a team that hasn't won since 2012 yesterday.

They beat two bad MAC teams. I wouldn't print the Rose Bowl tickets quite yet.

Reaction Score
Why not have Cinci beat Ohio State before even worrying about them. They are 2-0 and barely beat a team that hasn't won since 2012 yesterday.

They beat two bad MAC teams. I wouldn't print the Rose Bowl tickets quite yet.
Cincy beating Ohio State is plausible after watching VA Tech beat them 35-21 in Columbus. VA Tech losing 28-21 to East Carolina in Blacksburg further fuels my suspicion that a Cincinnati upset is possible.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Cincy beating Ohio State is plausible after watching VA Tech beat them 35-21 in Columbus. VA Tech losing 28-21 to East Carolina in Blacksburg further fuels my suspicion that a Cincinnati upset is possible.

Anything is possible. But when you struggle to beat a team on a 19 game losing streak you don't start thinking about going undefeated.

Yes East Carolina beat good teams. Cincinnati has done nothing but have a good first half against Toledo.

Reaction Score
Anything is possible. But when you struggle to beat a team on a 19 game losing streak you don't start thinking about going undefeated.

Yes East Carolina beat good teams. Cincinnati has done nothing but have a good first half against Toledo.
Good point. Cincy has not proven anything but if they manage to beat Miami and Ohio State and run the table it would be interesting. Do I think they will do it - NO. Right now, IMO, East Carolina is the best team in the American until proven otherwise. The Cincy ECU game should be a good one.

Reaction Score
It's no accident that You have Uconn at the bottom.

1. East Carolina
2. Cincinnati

3. UCF
4. Houston

4 Midland teams:

Tulane
USF
Temple
Memphis

3 Really poor teams

SMU
Tulsa
UCONN

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Also notable that ECU is the only ranked team from the G5 (BYU is in some purgatory of being neither P5 or G5). Meaning that we've answered one basic question already - a one loss AAC team is likely to be ranked higher than an undefeated MAC team like Marshall. If both teams won out in conference play, I think ECU would get the Access Bowl bid.

Hell, Memphis is receiving votes in the Coaches Poll and Cincy is getting votes in both the AP and Coaches.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Cincinnati played a close game aagainst Miami (OH). Cincinnati is probably a 4 or 5 loss team.

Reaction Score
We aren't a

1. East Carolina
2. Cincinnati

3. UCF
4. Houston

4 Midland teams:

Tulane
USF
Temple
Memphis

3 Really poor teams

SMU
Tulsa
UCONN
We aren't a Midland team. We aren't on the level of USF and Tulane. Neither is Temple. We are better than that. Don't use last year as some indicator. Our recievers can actually catch the ball this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom