AAC Awards | The Boneyard

AAC Awards

Reaction Score
As we are about to end another regular season, who wins what awards for the AAC?
Player of the Year?
Freshman of the Year?
Coach of the Year?
Defensive Player of the Year?
Most Improved Player?
Sixth Man of the Year?
All Conference Teams?

Reaction Score
POY: Christian Vital
From Dom Amore's article:
Vital should be the conference’s player of the year. In conference play he’s third in scoring (16.8), leads in steals (2.8) and free throw shooting (91.3), and he contributes rebounds (5.6) and assists (2.6). What player helps his team win in more ways? Over the last six games, since Akok’s injury, he has averaged 23.3 points, carrying the Huskies. If it’s the most valuable player, Vital should certainly win.

Freshman: Precious (ugh)
Coach: Frank Haith
Defensive: Laquincy Rideau
Most Improved: Erik Stevenson or Isaiah Whaley
Sixth Man: Caleb Mills
1st team All-Conference: Christian Vital, Jarron Cumberland, Quinton Rose, Precious Achiuwa, Jayden Gardner

Reaction Score
As we are about to end another regular season, who wins what awards for the AAC?
Player of the Year?
Freshman of the Year?
Coach of the Year?
Defensive Player of the Year?
Most Improved Player?
Sixth Man of the Year?
All Conference Teams?
POY - Cumberland
Freshman - Precious
Coach - Whoever coaches Tulsa
DPOY - Precious
Most Improved - Whaley or Dejesus
6th Man - Caleb Mills or Igbanu

1st Team:
Vital
Cumberland
Precious
Gardner
Rose

1st Team Freshman:
Bouknight
Mills
Precious
Etienne
Newton (or Quinnones)

Reaction Score
For all conference teams, I believe the American does a first, second and third team...and then a first team for all rookies. Vital is first team, Bouknight will obviously be on the all rookie team and should be on an all conference team. It will be interesting to see if Whaley is honored for most improved and a possible all-conference selection. Akok would have been a no brainer for the rookie team too, but now probably not.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
If we were staying in the AAC, Vital has a shot at POY. But he will be snubbed. I would bet money that Mills will win 6th Man and ROY as well.

Reaction Score
I'll take Tre Scott gets player of the year. His conference numbers are crazy. Particularly if Tulsa loses and Cincy wins this weekend and they get the conference championship. Leagues like seniors. Minutes played are hard to believe.

Reaction Score
Total shot in the dark...

POY: I have no idea honestly, could be Cumberland, Precious, Vital, Scott
FOY: Precious
COY: Haith
DPOY: Precious
MIP: Burton (WSU)
6th: Mills

1st Team: Vital, Precious, Cumberland, Gardner, Scott
2nd Team: Mills, Rose, Davis (SMU), Hinton, Ibagnu
3rd Team: Stevenson, Mike (SMU), Hightower (Tulane), Echinique, Riddau

Notable omissions: Jarreau, Jolly

Reaction Score
I'll take Tre Scott gets player of the year. His conference numbers are crazy. Particularly if Tulsa loses and Cincy wins this weekend and they get the conference championship. Leagues like seniors. Minutes played are hard to believe.

That's a whole lot of rebounds.

Reaction Score
That's a whole lot of rebounds.

Look at all stats across the board, steals, assists, block and his team has a better record. He's got to average about 36 minutes a game. That's a well conditioned player.

Reaction Score

Love his game. I think Vital, Cumberland, and Precious all get more votes than him for POY but he’s a rock solid player and should be 2nd team all-conference, or maybe 1st team depending on how many players make each team.

Reaction Score
I don't think Scott will win. He just doesn't score enough, despite being super efficient and a great defender.

I think Vital is the POTY favorite at the moment, at least from the bloggers/sportswriters. AAC conference people is another story.

Reaction Score
I apologize for not being knowledgeable of AAC awards.
CV will not probably get POY.
My thoughts are...
CV first team
IW most improved or 2nd team
JB all rookie

Reaction Score
My thoughts are...
CV first team
JB all rookie

IW is averaging 6 points and 5 rebounds for the year. If he had played like this all year he might have a chance at 3rd or 2nd team or something, but most improved is the only possibility I'd say.

Reaction Score
My thoughts are...
CV first team
JB all rookie

Yep, the POY will not come from a middle of the conference team and probably shouldn't.

Reaction Score
Yep, the POY will not come from a middle of the conference team and probably shouldn't.

No one in the top 5 of points per game will be from the top 4 conference finishers unless Memphis wins at Houston. None of Houston, Wichita, or Tulsa even have a player in the top 10 of points per game.

Cumberland is 6th, but he has shot 25% overall in the last month as he's been clearly banged up (and missed last game and possibly today's with a heel injury), and his numbers have regressed enough from last year when he won it that I doubt the writers go with him from a narrative perspective.

On the other hand, Vital has shot 51% during the same time frame. He's 4th in points per game and has the edge in advanced stats: he currently leads the league in box plus minus, win shares, 3rd in PORPAGATU! and is first in KPOY. We'll have a ~45% chance to finish 5th in the conference if we beat Tulane, which would be ahead of Memphis. And he's not just all offense, as he leads the conference in steals per game.

Precious has probably been the most "dominant" player in the conference, as he leads the conference in rebounding and is top 5 in points per game and 3rd in blocks. But his advanced stat offensive numbers stink since he's such a bad free throw shooter and is turnover prone. Memphis is likely to lose at Houston, and if they do, they'll finish either 6th or 7th, depending if SMU wins. If they win tomorrow, he might lock it up, but it's wide open if they don't.

Kendric Davis of SMU is the dark horse. 7th in points per game and leads the conference in assists. SMU could finish 5th or 6th. But he's been bad on D and I'm just not sure he has the renown yet.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom