AAC as a pretty good basketball league? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

AAC as a pretty good basketball league?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Again how about the league not crash and burn one time before potential greatness is ascribed to it.

Don't misunderstand me, I'd love for UConn to go to a P5 (other than the Pac). I simply think that the reality of this league and its potential exceeds the reputation generally given to it. That was true of Big East football as well. It was derided by many, while performing above that reputation in reality. I think the reputation of the NBE in basketball exceeds its real performance, with the exception of Villanova.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
The league has only been around since 2014, how many national championships should they have? Or did you mean teams in the conference that have national titles? In that 2nd case, Cincinnati has two. But also Houston has two title game appearances, Memphis also has two, and Cincinnati has three.

I certainly didn't mean anything negative about the league, thought that was clear when I suggested the money should flow soon

I also referenced national titles as a mitigating factor to us being a disappointment for the league thus far, in MBB & Football

And my time frame would be since the inception of the league, since I'm not one to care about accomplishments from the 60's. Hence I don't believe Army is a national football power anymore either

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Don't misunderstand me, I'd love for UConn to go to a P5 (other than the Pac). I simply think that the reality of this league and its potential exceeds the reputation generally given to it. That was true of Big East football as well. It was derided by many, while performing above that reputation in reality. I think the reputation of the NBE in basketball exceeds its real performance, with the exception of Villanova.

You believe that because it’s what you want to believe. The data shows the opposite.

Reaction Score
I have said it over and over again, the AAC is going to a conference force in 5-8 Years. I am glad that UConn stayed with this conference when others were saying that we needed to beg other conferences to take us in. The rise of Houston, the Shockers, and Cincy has only made the AAC that much better. We will see what Memphis does with their new coach. We will see what we can do with our new coach here at UConn. The AAC is the place to be and I am glad that we stayed! #BleedBlue

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score
The AAC will never be a thing.

People who defend it do so out of insecurity.

Nobody on earth respects it. Counting the days till we're out,

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
The "Big East" is a small-time conference made up of small-time schools, no upside there.

Pass.
They might be "small" compared to the big state schools, but they have a coherent geographic relationship. We have road games in Tulsa and Wichita. And compared to the latter two schools, the BE's academics look like the Ivy League.

Reaction Score
They might be "small" compared to the big state schools, but they have a coherent geographic relationship. We have road games in Tulsa and Wichita. And compared to the latter two schools, the BE's academics look like the Ivy League.
I'm more interested in athletic conferences not one trick pony basketball leagues. And who gives a rip about academics, we're talking banners here not eggheads. Sorry I just have a higher standard for Uconn athletics than you do I guess, I don't want to return to the Yankee Conference II. The real Big East is dead and buried.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I'm more interested in athletic conferences not one trick pony basketball leagues. And who gives a rip about academics, we're talking banners here not eggheads. Sorry I just have a higher standard for Uconn athletics than you do I guess, I don't want to return to the Yankee Conference II. The real Big East is dead and buried.
Who gives a rip about academics? Only the UConn admissions department, and the professors who bring in grant money to the university, and the students who are deciding what college to apply to. And they associate the conference with the school brand.

The academics in the bottom half of the AAC is straight garbage. And their sports are too. I want nothing to do with East Carolina or Tulsa and every time we have to play them in any sport I die a little inside.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The "Big East" is a small-time conference made up of small-time schools, no upside there.

Pass.

Yes there is no basketball upside for schools in a league that had two 1 seeds.

Better to hang with Tulsa and Tulane.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Where in the world do you think you are going?

The alternate reality where the AAC matters?

There may be an infinite number of dimensions and none of them contain an AAC that anyone cares about.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score

My major concern is UCONN basketball.

Joining the one trick pony Big East will result in attracting and netting NE and NYC metro area recruits who will improve our on-court performance. This is fairly evident, though not apples to apples, just looking at our recruiting performance while affiliated w/ the Big East as compared to the AAC. Don't get me wrong the UCONN mystique still rides in the households of some recruits, but many others dismiss the AAC (on its face) and subsequently UConn.

I don't think it's unreasonable to believe a four star from Mass or Ct. does not get excited about the prospect of playing against directional schools or mid-Southwest schools. Other than national camps and tournaments where NE kids compete against kids across the country, there is simply no connection.

But having Nova, G'town, Seton Hall, possibly St. Johns and Providence on the schedule connects and excites Northeast recruits, and their families have the opportunity to attend multiple games due to a more convenient proximity.

The AAC basketball agenda grapples with what can a conference become given its remnant origin. Other conferences, including the Old Big East and the New had a specific vision including rivalries, recruiting bases, and venues, all leading to an increase of conference strength and individual program success.

Not sure whether waiting for P5 is in our best interest. Better to recognize who we are (a basketball school) and get in where we fit in with the NBE.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
My belief (fantasy) is that by the time the AAC becomes a power conference, the college sports landscape will start changing. I think the big money will start drying up and conferences will revert to a more regional status. If regional rivalries were to take precedence over $ wouldn't a conference based on UConn/BC/Cuse/Pitt/Penn St/Rutgers/MD/WVU be tons of fun.

I WANT TO BELIEVE

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
My belief (fantasy) is that by the time the AAC becomes a power conference, the college sports landscape will start changing. I think the big money will start drying up and conferences will revert to a more regional status. If regional rivalries were to take precedence over $ wouldn't a conference based on UConn/BC/Cuse/Pitt/Penn St/Rutgers/MD/WVU be tons of fun.

I WANT TO BELIEVE
Yeah this is my ultimate hope too. I'd love to imagine we'd get an invite to the ACC but in the end we all want the same thing, for the old BE to come back. That doesn't mean joining the current configuration but one that has BC, Cuse, Pitt, RU, and WVU. You could still run the FB side. I know that was a major issue but the regional conferences need to come back for a lot of reasons. Fans care more.

As good as the AAC may ever be, not many will get excited to watch conference games with random schools like Tulane and Tulsa.

I hope we become the dominant team in this league. Just not sure it will create enough excitement playing teams we have no history with outside Cincy.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
It's almost inconceivable that in the face of all this, UConn has upgraded to Hockey East and has plans to rebuild fields and stadiums for non-revenue sports. I know that for the stadium and field upgrades that were funded through donations, but at the same time, I would think there would be a more effective use for the money.

I've said it a ton, but any money that isn't spent on men's basketball or football is near sighted. Even if football gets back to 2007-2010 levels and hoops becomes a tourney team again, the last life boat has probably already left the titanic.
I keep hoping that they have a reason for upgrading everything besides the fact that they are seriously outdated. However, I don't have much hope for anyone in our school when it comes to maneuverating in the CR landscape.

I think the HE upgrade is clutch and has generated a lot of interest in the program and school.

You look at Louisville and the massive upgrades they made to their facilities and you see why they were picked over us (besides the FB reason). I wonder if this is part of the thinking with the upgrades at UConn.

I think this hire is our last shot to get in. If RE can't turn around football and Hurley isn't successful, then I agree with you that there are no life boats left

Reaction Score
Yeah this is my ultimate hope too. I'd love to imagine we'd get an invite to the ACC but in the end we all want the same thing, for the old BE to come back. That doesn't mean joining the current configuration but one that has BC, Cuse, Pitt, RU, and WVU. You could still run the FB side. I know that was a major issue but the regional conferences need to come back for a lot of reasons. Fans care more.

As good as the AAC may ever be, not many will get excited to watch conference games with random schools like Tulane and Tulsa.

I hope we become the dominant team in this league. Just not sure it will create enough excitement playing teams we have no history with outside Cincy.
People will get up for the good teams. SMU drew crowds. Memphis did when they were good. Wichita as well. Houston and Temple can.

The issue with no history is that no one cares about the down teams, whereas people would still come out for a down St. John's, PC, Georgetown game in the mid-90s-mid-2000s.

Last edited:

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I keep hoping that they have a reason for upgrading everything besides the fact that they are seriously outdated. However, I don't have much hope for anyone in our school when it comes to maneuverating in the CR landscape.

I think the HE upgrade is clutch and has generated a lot of interest in the program and school.

You look at Louisville and the massive upgrades they made to their facilities and you see why they were picked over us (besides the FB reason). I wonder if this is part of the thinking with the upgrades at UConn.

I think this hire is our last shot to get in. If RE can't turn around football and Hurley isn't successful, then I agree with you that there are no life boats left

Said the same thing to a buddy the other day.

They are all in with Edsall and Hurley, and if they don't work out, we're pretty much screwed.

Reaction Score
The Big Ten and SEC are not done expanding. Regional conferences are a thing of the past. Proof? A D1 college hockey conference in the NCHC. Division III has the UAA. A conference that stretches from St Louis to Boston.

Worst case scenario, we're backfill into the ACC or join the Big 12. Best case scenario, we're invited by the Big Ten to join them.

For the time being, the AAC is not doing bad, at all. At least in game play.

Last edited:

TJT

Reaction Score
The AAC may soon be poised in the next few years to exceed the A-10 in NCAA bids and units. It was able to tie them for this past season's tournament - 3 bids/2 wins/5 units.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
The AAC may soon be poised in the next few years to exceed the A-10 in NCAA bids and units. It was able to tie them for this past season's tournament - 3 bids/2 wins/5 units.

Um -- what's a unit? Like, 3 bids +2 wins = 5 units?

Would be interested in seeing a ranking of the top ten conferences by "units," assuming wins grow in value as the tournament progresses.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Um -- what's a unit? Like, 3 bids +2 wins = 5 units?

Would be interested in seeing a ranking of the top ten conferences by "units," assuming wins grow in value as the tournament progresses.

Units are how the money is allocated in the tournament. That's one more reason you want your conference foes to do well, more money distributed to the conference.

What's an NCAA Tournament upset worth? Units = big bucks

Reaction Score
Just a little perspective from an outsider, though admittedly I'm biased and want you guys to stay here. The Big East had 6 teams make the tournament, which is impressive, but only had 1 make the second weekend. Plus, Xavier is on the verge of losing its coach to Louisville. I understand why you guys want to leave for greener pastures, I just don't think the Big East is really that much better than the AAC. It's kind of a one-trick pony, especially if Mack does leave Xavier.

If UCONN was where they should be in MBB then they would be to the American what Villanova is to the Big East (BTW congrats on the great hire, I think Hurley will get you there). Throw in a Memphis team that returns to normal standards (which is actually a real possibility with the talent Penny is supposed to bring in) along with Cincy, Wichita, rising Houston, UCF, SMU and a Temple team that is always decent with potential to be consistently good. My point is, I think that moving to the Big East would be a shortsighted decision for UCONN to make. I know it's been said in the past, but now more than ever the future of the American is looking bright. I think in 2-3 years we'll be on about equal footing with the BE. We'll just have to wait and see.

Reaction Score
One year where the league doesn’t embarrass itself would be a start.

The conference was two miracles away from Houston and Cincinnati both playing this weekend as favorites to get to the final four.

Embarrassing in the sense that rival fans can troll us, sure. But it was probably the sixth best basketball conference this year.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The conference was two miracles away from Houston and Cincinnati both playing this weekend as favorites to get to the final four.

Embarrassing in the sense that rival fans can troll us, sure. But it was probably the sixth best basketball conference this year.

This is not complicated.

Either you win or March or you don’t.

Yet again the AAC went t!t$ up in March.

Until they stop doing that it’s just talk.

They were the distant 7th league barely ahead of MWC. There isn’t any need to guess. The numbers are available for $20 a year.

Reaction Score
UCONN, Houston, Wichita State, Cincinnati, Memphis, SMU towards the top
Middle of the pack - UCF, Temple, Tulsa, Tulane
Bottom being ECU and USF

Conference is obviously stepping towards the right direction. We have a pretty good core. The first season I think we got like 4 teams in? I think if Memphis, UCONN of course, and SMU improve, we could be seeing at least 4 bids for years to come. This is why I jump with joy whenever an SMU or another team in our conference snags a top 100 recruit because it puts the conference on the map.

I think considering the fact that we have former C-USA teams in , it wouldn't hurt to contact middle tennessee and take out east carolina for GOD SAKE.

East Carolina has a great fan base for football averaging almost 50k per game. I think their basketball team could improve considering the recruiting area they are in. In this conference GREENVILLE NC is one UCONNs closer rivals.
I have no problem with ECU in the AAC.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom