A10 performance | Page 2 | The Boneyard

A10 performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Almost every word in this post is based on completely false assumptions.

What does the number of high seeds have to do with whether Dayton or GW was more deserving of a bid than FSU? Alternatively, since Virginia was a 1 seed, does that mean the ACC should have gotten more bids?

The Committee selects the 36 most deserving at large teams, and for the most part they do a pretty good job. A case could have been made for SMU over NC State or Iowa, but there was no one after SMU that anyone is arguing deserved to go.

All the Big 10 example shows is that the committee does have a tendency to occasionally overrate an entire power conference. 1 or 2 teams getting picked off is no big deal, but when the entire 6 team conference contingent is 1 point against a 14 seed from getting knocked out in the first round, the committee booted it. I also think it provides some perspective from for the OP's silly statement about "worst performances by a conference in tournament history".

UMASS was 8-7 over their last 15 games before the NCAA tournament. There is no way they deserved a 6 seed. The committee needs to watch more games and look less at the computers. They finished poorly and got rewarded for it.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't call the Atlantic ten's performance bad, nevermind worst in history.

Based on seeding they should have gone 3-3, and been eliminated by tomorrow. They went 2-4, and will probably be eliminated tomorrow. How is that terrible?

St. Louis was favored and won
The VCU game was the big upset, but Dayton was a big upset in their favor
I think most people agree that umass was over seeded, and they were actually Vegas underdogs in that game.
GW losing to Memphis is not a bad result, it was an 8/9 game
And we saw what happened with saint joes.

The problem with the American and why we aren't getting praise is because Louisville isn't really viewed as an American conference team. Our top banner is being waived by a team that already has their bags packed to leave.

Reaction Score
I totally agree that umass was way over seeded. They played the rpi well this year, but the team wasn't very good

But is it really worth arguing about? Once you get to the 6 seeds through 10 seeds you are talking about a crap shoot and match ups mean more than seeding. You're generally talking about the teams that are solidly in the tournament on selection Sunday, but aren't ranked.

I think we can all agree that umass was solidly in the dance. Is it really worth getting worked up over whether they were a 6 seed or 10 seed? In the end, they lost, justice prevailed.

Who would you have rather had in the second round when the brackets were announced: villanova or duke? I know that duke lost, but I liked our draw in the second round more than I liked umass' duke draw.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
If not for our magical run, the Big East would have lost tons of credibility. One could make the argument that if there weren't two matchups of Big East teams in the second round, we might have gotten zero teams to the Sweet 16. To summarize:

If you take out the team that wins the tournament, then most conferences would suffer comparatively. You can play what ifs all day, but what happened happened. And a team that finished middle of the pack in the Big East that year won it all.

I don't think the A10 looks bad this year. The tournament is quite well balanced team wise.

Reaction Score
And if Dayton or St. Louis win today, then suddenly the Atlantic Ten will be 3-5 with a sweet 16 team and will have outperformed their seeding (expected to be 3-6 with no sweet 16 teams)

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
Heard Bilas yesterday on the radio saying he thinks RPI is a flawed metric and is inferior to ken Pom, Sagarin, etc.

RPI is too dependent on SOS..

Reaction Score
Heard Bilas yesterday on the radio saying he thinks RPI is a flawed metric and is inferior to ken Pom, Sagarin, etc.

It's well known as a terrible rating system. Too much on OOC. But also, there's no way to measure margin of victory. I get that you don't want teams to run up the score...but metrics like BPI have ways to make a 15 point win mean not much less than a 20 points win, and a 4o points win means the same (in essence) as a 30 point win.

Reaction Score
The rpi is fine. The formula is simple. What was your record? Who did you play? Who did the teams you play play? Where did you play those games?

Simple and fine for tournament selection. Margin of victory, tempo, etc.., have no place in the formula. And that's a good thing. Remember, the rpi is not a gambling or prediction tool, it is used exclusively to measure results for tournament selection purposes.

Jay Bilas always needs something to complain about.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score

2/3 of the RPI is determined by your opponents and their opponents. Which one of these numbers isn't like the other?

UMass-
RPI: 23
KenPom: 57
Sagarin: 50
BPI: 36

Does that look like a 6 seed to you?

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
The rpi is fine. The formula is simple. What was your record? Who did you play? Who did the teams you play play? Where did you play those games?

Simple and fine for tournament selection. Margin of victory, tempo, etc.., have no place in the formula. And that's a good thing. Remember, the rpi is not a gambling or prediction tool, it is used exclusively to measure results for tournament selection purposes.

Maybe if it was 1970's. People who value the RPI also still own a walkman.

Reaction Score

Sorry. The job of the RPI is to find and rank the best teams over the course of the season. The RPI does this poorly. Therefore it sucks as a measure.

Reaction Score
RF1 said:
The A-10 now has met and exceeded expectations based on its teams' NCAA seedings. It actually wasn't supposed to get a team to the Sweet-16 but has done so with Dayton. The league has now knocked off two ACC teams in North Carolina State and Syracuse after Coach K publicly dissed the league.

Those were not very good teams out of a weak ACC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom