A year ago we worried that Ollie couldn't recruit | The Boneyard

A year ago we worried that Ollie couldn't recruit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We don't seem to hear those concerns anymore. We don't hear it anymore, because apparently his recruiting has improved immensely. The new complaint is that he can't coach, which seems to have some merit.

However, when you have three of the most undisciplined players in program history forming the nucleus of your offense, it does put you at a severe handicap. I'd like to think that Ollie is going to learn from this year, even though some of his moves are real head scratchers.

For all of his NBA experience, he still has a minimum of coaching experience. Sometimes it shows, sometimes it doesn't, but this year's roster has to be considered one of the most challenging in the history of the program. And one whose difficulties could not be anticipated. He is playing with a flawed hand, I just hope he learns from it.

Reaction Score
Don't think the problem is Ollie at all but you are right about undisciplined players. Hamilton and Purvis have a lot of talent but they make some bonehead plays. They are the biggest reason we can't hold leads.

Reaction Score
Who chose those players. Everything that happens, good or bad, is the coach's fault. When he did a great job in the 2014 tornament, that was on him. Whether todays problems are bad players or bad coaching, it is on him. Given 2014, I would lean toward the players being the problem but it could be as simple as he doesn't know how to coach lesser players. But he picked those players. And the APR excuses are lame as hell at this point. Everyone keeps saying he is a great recruiter. If that were true, he wouldn't have chosen these players. If that were true, we wouldn't be all geeked up over one Top 25ish recruit per year when Puke and Kentucky are landing 3-5 Top 20 players every year and at least a couple of those are Top 5 or Top 10. He seems to be a good recruiter but save the great until we either stop seeing uncoachable players and/or get loaded classes like puke and kentucky are getting. That is great recruiting. And, to be fair, Calhoun made some recruiting mistakes as well and never seemed to get puke-like classes. However, he did manage to land a Top 10 kid here or there and his mistakes were limited to the point where we would see the NIT rarely and never consecutively, once he got the program to its current level.

Reaction Score
I don't see why I can't say Ollie has done a terrible job coaching this team this season without saying he needs to be fired immediately. He did a great job in 13, and especially with in game adjustments during the 14 tourney run, and I don't even blame last year on him because the team just clearly didn't have the talent outside of Boat. You could have put Calhoun, K, Wooden, etc together to make a supermegagod coach last year and it wouldn't have mattered. That being said, anyone who has watched this team all year and has been a long time fan that understands this program and basketball in general can see that this year, 2015-16, has been a horrible performance from Ollie. He stuck with Gibbs at PG for FAR too long and has never held DHam/Purvis/Gibbs/Brimah accountable when any of them don't show effort or make a major mistake. He doesn't necessarily need to be Calhoun with the quick hook and in their face, but it looks like DHam and JA play by a different set of rules. JA plays like a freshman for a few minutes and eats bench for the rest of the game, DHam gets absolutely torched defensively for long stretches and it's like it never happened. Above all KO needs to understand that this is HIS program, don't be afraid to make an example out of anybody on this team. This is the same guy that stood up to Napier and didn't let him play with the fouls against Nova, the only difference it seems to me is that KO really had his finger on the pulse of that team and does not on this team.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
@Danzz We only avg 11 turnovers per game. Bonehead plays or not, we still take pretty good care of the ball.

Reaction Score
@Danzz We only avg 11 turnovers per game. Bonehead plays or not, we still take pretty good care of the ball.

Mostly true I agree OFP. Problem is in a huge game they had 9 at halftime and things didn't get much better. Even after they came back 2nd half to take the lead DHam throws a 50 foot pass to a breaking...well uh Houston player, no shot of it getting there what the hell? I mean not a very bright team. Many of the brain farts are related to trying to do too much, others are just plain dumb. Many of our missed lay ups can almost be regarded as TO's too because they are made by guys who are shooting 10% on lay ups, so why would you take one? It's not like there's going to be a wide open lane. Painful

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
@mauconnfan I agree the missed layups are excruciating but that to me is a talent issue and not an IQ issue. The takes are often appropriate its the fact 2 guys in particular are terrible finishers thats a problem. You have to force the issue though when the lane is there and try to get to the line.

Reaction Score
It's the missed dunks, missed layups and bad judgments that kill us -- these are turnovers that don't show up no the stat sheet that, demoralize us and invigorate our opponents. This team has its own version of Deflategate.

My one problem with Ollie is that at some point you have to do something to discourage those things from happening. They're not just missed shots, they're chronic bad judgement, or a lapse in concentration.

Reaction Score
We don't seem to hear those concerns anymore. We don't hear it anymore, because apparently his recruiting has improved immensely. The new complaint is that he can't coach, which seems to have some merit.

However, when you have three of the most undisciplined players in program history forming the nucleus of your offense, it does put you at a severe handicap. I'd like to think that Ollie is going to learn from this year, even though some of his moves are real head scratchers.

For all of his NBA experience, he still has a minimum of coaching experience. Sometimes it shows, sometimes it doesn't, but this year's roster has to be considered one of the most challenging in the history of the program. And one whose difficulties could not be anticipated. He is playing with a flawed hand, I just hope he learns from it.

Reaction Score
@mauconnfan I agree the missed layups are excruciating but that to me is a talent issue and not an IQ issue. The takes are often appropriate its the fact 2 guys in particular are terrible finishers thats a problem. You have to force the issue though when the lane is there and try to get to the line.

Have to disagree here. I feel much more comfortable with Purvis and Gibbs kicking it out as neither can make a shot when they go to the rim. It's a pattern I'm afraid at this point. Heck even the one Gibbs was fouled on 2nd half he looked down and didn't finish for an and-1. I get there's a guy under him but you're falling so why not make the shot? Purvis 2 times again yesterday looking everywhere but the finish itself, it's excruciating. And at some point you have to ask yourself why right? I mean we don't offensive rebound. Ab had a nice tip in bu it's because it was Jalen and the other team runs to the rim when he goes to the hole because he's a proven finisher allowing some space for the miss. Not those 2 guys only one guy needs to cover them the chances are they are not finishing.

Reaction Score
Dumb plays do not always show up as turnovers... Forced shots, poor decisions, inability to get into sets, poor screening etc are not turnovers on paper but are a detriment to any flow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom