A women's basketball mystery | The Boneyard

A women's basketball mystery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
There are hours left before the next game, so I thought I'd share last night's dinner conversation, but rewritten as a mystery.
In the actual dinner conversation last evening. I outlined the circumstances, and asked other at the table to identify the women's basketball powers. The group did pretty will identifying most, but missed on the top teams.

I thought I would change the setup, giving you a summary of the results, and asking you to guess at the circumstances. It may be easy, but I thought it was mildly interesting to imagine that the situation may in fact, actually be true.

I was doing some charity work, and felt I was at the end of the earth. 21st century America seemed so far away. It was, almost literally, a different world.

One day, I mentioned my interest in women's basketball to a group of kids. "Tennessee", one of them yelled out, and startled, I responded. "yes, they are one of the powerhouses of women's basketball. Who else do you know?

"Notre Dame", "Irish" several voices responded at once. "Wow" I said, who else?

"Louisiana Tech" came the quick response.

"Rutgers", "Georgia", "Duke" followed rapidly

"Auburn", one of the exclaimed, and another child looked sheepish, like how did it take so long to mention Auburn. "Yeah, Auburn" she repeated, quietly, but with reverence and awe.

I asked, "What about Connecticut?"

"Conn-ect-i-cut" one of them responded quizzically, sounding it out like this was the first time they had ever used the word. Puzzled looks on all the faces, and they slowly shook their heads. "Nope, one declared, never heard of them"

So the puzzle is to determine the circumstances which made this conversation perfectly plausible, and factually accurate.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
The conversation took place in 1990.

Reaction Score
I might have agreed with MSF22B, if Notre Dame and Duke was not in this conversation. Teams like Stanford, Texas, and USC would have also had to be included in 1990. If it was the AIAW era, then Immaculata and Delta State are in the conversation. For me, then, there is no plausible answer other than to surmise that this person was dreaming about this conversation.

Reaction Score
I'd say this discussion occurred in 1986 or 1987. Before UConn became a powerhouse. If I remember correctly, all the teams mentioned did well at that time. La Tech was national champs.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Interesting guesses, but this conversation could take place today

Reaction Score
All those are programs have had, or have, head coaches that are women (although Georgia is a stretch). Uconn, I don't know who coached before Geno....

Reaction Score
All those are programs have had, or have, head coaches that are women (although Georgia is a stretch). Uconn, I don't know who coached before Geno....
It was a woman coach, too. Jean Balthasar.

Ghz

Reaction Score
I might guess that these are schools that have all lost in the championship game. Their national championship shirts and hats would either have been destroyed or donated to places outside the United States. UConn has never lost in the championship game.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I might guess that these are schools that have all lost in the championship game. Their national championship shirts and hats would either have been destroyed or donated to places outside the United States. UConn has never lost in the championship game.
Not bad. I was going to go with the dinner was held in Tennessee, but I like your answer better.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score

You got it. They are printing up National Championship t shirts to sell at the end of the game now. They make a version for both UConn and Louisville. They don't destroy the "wrong" ones, they donate them to some charity ( I believe, I don't have firm details) who distrbutes them to needy kids in the middle of nowhere, my guess is central Africa.

So I'm imaging that the is some village where kids where shirts proclaiming National Championships that never happened.

As UConn has never lost (so far) in a Nationla Champ game, there are no shirts with Connecticut or UConn. Most of the others who lost on some year are also teams who have won, but Auburn is the big exception, having come in second three consectutive years, with no wins.

Let's hope the tradition continues, and a lot of kids get Louisville NC shirts, but not in NOLA.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
You got it. They are printing up National Championship t shirts to sell at the end of the game now. They make a version for both UConn and Louisville. They don't destroy the "wrong" ones, they donate them to some charity ( I believe, I don't have firm details) who distrbutes them to needy kids in the middle of nowhere, my guess is central Africa.

So I'm imaging that the is some village where kids where shirts proclaiming National Championships that never happened.

As UConn has never lost (so far) in a Nationla Champ game, there are no shirts with Connecticut or UConn. Most of the others who lost on some year are also teams who have won, but Auburn is the big exception, having come in second three consectutive years, with no wins.

Let's hope the tradition continues, and a lot of kids get Louisville NC shirts, but not in NOLA.

I'd love to get my hands on a Duke WCBB National Championship T-shirt. :cool: I would wear it out in public too... provided it was black or gray and a size XXL.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Phil, that was a fantastic puzzler. A real forehead slapper.
Yes, tremendous. I guess the UConn men don't have any name recognition either then wherever the MCBB NC losers shirts are sent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom