A Wolf by any other name is not a Wolf | The Boneyard

A Wolf by any other name is not a Wolf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As Ty Webb eloquently stated, a flute without any holes is not a flute. And a Wolf with an extra e on it is not an Enosch. Can we have a quick spelling lesson for people who constantly get our players names wrong? There are only 10 guys who get any playing time generally on a college team, is it too much to ask that we know how to spell their names. Here is a quick lesson for the spelling challenged out there.

Enosch Wolf-(Not Wolfe) Being 7'1", German and suspended still does not earn him an extra e on his name
Tyler Olander-(Not Oleander)Being slow, a poor rebounder and getting arrested on Spring Break doesn't earn him an extra e in his name, thus making him into a poisonous shrub
Ryan Boatright- (Not Boatwright) Being 5'9 and able to jump out of the gym doesn't earn him an extra W in his last name, or give us any advantage in landing Bennie Boatwright
Niels Giffey- Being fond of apples (who isn't?) and also German doesn't give permission to spell his name wrong

Anyone else I've missed out on that allegedly knowledgeable fans constantly misspell?

Reaction Score
Do you JC knew how to spell every player on his rosters name correctly? Or how to even pronounce their names.

Reaction Score
Huskie is the worst.

What's the Giffey apple story?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Giff loves 'dem apples!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
Flohuskie nailed it again! Keven Ali is grateful.

Reaction Score
First off I can't believe there is a thread dedicated to this petty issue.

And how much of a loser am I for reading the hole thing.

Reaction Score
Used to drive me nuts when people called Rashad Anderson, Rashard. Even when he was senior. Just thought it was very strange for knowledgable fans to call a player who had been here 4 years, won a championship and was a very important piece of the team the wrong name.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Kalif Moore made that great catch in the papa johns bowl :)

Also, maybe we can go a month on this board between some "fan" calling it gamble or gambel pavillion

Reaction Score
It appears that opposing players are not immune from the extra letter phenomenon. Earlier this week, your boy Muntz informed us that Van Deer Blue had declared for the NBA draft. Nicole Wolff really had two "". I am guessing that she still does, unless she got married.

BTW, Steely Dan once sang about Oleanders. Rather coincidental that the name of the song was "My Old School".

Reaction Score
My old school indeed. Oleanders outside her door. It might be a "petty' issue to you imno but not knowing how to spell 10 f#ckin names on your favorite team is pathetic. I don't know how many times people have spelled wolf with an e on the end, why?

Reaction Score
As Ty Webb eloquently stated, a flute without any holes is not a flute. And a Wolf with an extra e on it is not an Enosch. Can we have a quick spelling lesson for people who constantly get our players names wrong? There are only 10 guys who get any playing time generally on a college team, is it too much to ask that we know how to spell their names. Here is a quick lesson for the spelling challenged out there.

Enosch Wolf-(Not Wolfe) Being 7'1", German and suspended still does not earn him an extra e on his name
Tyler Olander-(Not Oleander)Being slow, a poor rebounder and getting arrested on Spring Break doesn't earn him an extra e in his name, thus making him into a poisonous shrub
Ryan Boatright- (Not Boatwright) Being 5'9 and able to jump out of the gym doesn't earn him an extra W in his last name, or give us any advantage in landing Bennie Boatwright
Niels Giffey- Being fond of apples (who isn't?) and also German doesn't give permission to spell his name wrong

Anyone else I've missed out on that allegedly knowledgeable fans constantly misspell?
I think it would help the most if you let everyone know that we are UConn, for you know, the University of Connecticut. It is not the University of connecticut or the University of CONNecticut the last time I checked.

Reaction Score
Do you JC knew how to spell every player on his rosters name correctly? Or how to even pronounce their names.

Never came out his mouth that way, but only the locals would argue.

Reaction Score
My old school indeed. Oleanders outside her door. It might be a "petty' issue to you imno but not knowing how to spell 10 f#ckin names on your favorite team is pathetic. I don't know how many times people have spelled wolf with an e on the end, why?

Because the more people do it, the more other people do it. I have probably done it because I get almost all of my team news right here.

Reaction Score
^ That said, misspelling Rashad is inexcusable. He's a legend.

Reaction Score
Because the more people do it, the more other people do it. I have probably done it because I get almost all of my team news right here.
I understand Hoophound. I really started the thread to have fun with it after wondering once or twice if I was wrong and there really was an e on the end.

There is a growing phenomenon where people use newly created words like anyways and put apostrophes before an s to signify pluralization. It's what happens when many of us spend more time reading posts here and on Facebook instead of books and newspapers like years ago. We see other people write something incorrectly enough that we adopt it ourselves. Anyways, I'll get off my soapbox now, there's a Wolfe in the backyard.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Used to drive me nuts when people called Rashad Anderson, Rashard. Even when he was senior. Just thought it was very strange for knowledgable fans to call a player who had been here 4 years, won a championship and was a very important piece of the team the wrong name.
That's a New England thing. Taking 'r's off of underserving words like "car" and "star" and adding them to more deserving words like "Cuber" and "Rashard".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom