A Win is a Win, BUT??? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

A Win is a Win, BUT???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I disagree. Yes, the high percentage is way above their norm, but they got off 20 three point shots many that were wide open. If tight D denied them the opportunity to shoot the 3 then they could not have made 13 of them.
This defense also gave up 70 points to DePaul that had 13 three pointers.
Last year the defense gave up an average of 5 three pointers per game. Last year the defense held opponents to an average of 48.6 points per game. In the last two games the Huskies have allowed opponents to score 70 points and 81 points. Again, I say that is less then stellar defense.

I think it is an illusion after 6 games with different players such as Gabby (she didn't play a ton of minutes last year and especially would have been playing the post defense), Collier and KLS that you can expect to prevent other teams from taking 20 footers and be in their face consistently.

And as far as last year we had already had a loss at this point in time. To a team that wasn't very good. And if I recall the talk was all about lack of perimeter defense keeping other players in the lane.

Yes the defense can improve. Yes NEARLY EVERY SINGLE YEAR THE DEFENSE CAN IMPROVE.

So for those of us that weren't too concerned last year, why should we be concerned this year?

Reaction Score
As I stated in another thread. In the history of basketball has a team ever shot 49%, 65% from three (13 made), scored over 80 points and lost by double digits? I am sure it is very rare. ND would have beaten any other team by 20 points yesterday. Both teams should be commended for their effort and for treating us to an entertaining game.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
UCONN has not played its "A" game this season, yet. They still looked out of sorts from the DePaul game and were making the same Offensive miss Q's and too many unforced errors IMO. Kia is nowhere near the player she was this past summer for Team Canada. I counted 5 or 6 open 3's she did not take when ND was daring her to shoot. ND played a good game and made UCONN's offense look less than superior even with the height advantages ..The good news its December and Geno has 3 months to mold them into the best team in WCBB.They are still the best team today, but they will be so much better come March....Plus, no injuries..

A Win is a WIN!!!!
No you don't really want UConn to be playing its "A" game in early December. Most fans just want their teams to develop over the first four months and then try to get their A game together around March and then April, if they are so lucky.

Three teams who were playing their A games at this time last year were then #4 ranked Texas, #5 Texas A&M, and #7 Louisville. None of them made it to the Elite 8 and the Aggies bowed out in the first round playing their D- game. In November of 2014 many BY posters were in a tizzy that the team didn't have the answers for a Stanford team that for one night found its A game and a winning strategy against UConn, but it would never work again during the rest of the year because UConn recognized the flaws in it armor and worked at mending them. And a group of players did actually develop well over the 5+ months despite the consistent efforts of the most particularly clueless BY posters to never observe it.

The Husky sled plows onward. No reason to be fretful.

Reaction Score
Come NCAA tournament time, UConn & ND will be different teams in regards to some starting players. Increased abilities & injuries become part of the picture.

Reaction Score
Good points today, but, UCONN is still the best team in WCBB by far and after watching today's games.......No contest
USC......Cannot shoot beyond 5', Tenn is done, FSU is good, but lacks balance, Watch out this week for the DePaul to beat ND at South Bend

Reaction Score
UCONN has not played its "A" game this season, yet.

This is all your opinion which you are entitled to. However, your are trying to pass your opinion off as fact. Sorry I am not buying it. UCONN had some tight games for their 5th and 6th games if I am not mistaken and they won both by double digits. When they were challenged they responded. The two teams who challenged them were top 25 teams. Both teams hit an incredible/unbelievable amount of 3's. ND had 13 3's. That helped to keep them in the game. If I am not mistaken DePaul also had double digit 3's.

Also the very first game was a 44 point victory over a top 10 team.... UCONN scored 100.... how is that not an A Game?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
jsloanjr said:
UCONN has not played its "A" game this season, yet. They still looked out of sorts from the DePaul game and were making the same Offensive miss Q's and too many unforced errors IMO. Kia is nowhere near the player she was this past summer for Team Canada. I counted 5 or 6 open 3's she did not take when ND was daring her to shoot. ND played a good game and made UCONN's offense look less than superior even with the height advantages ..The good news its December and Geno has 3 months to mold them into the best team in WCBB.They are still the best team today, but they will be so much better come March....Plus, no injuries.. A Win is a WIN!!!!
it's ok. All we need is Mister Q's, and we'll be rocking and rolling. He'll hold his better half in check, patriarchal home notwithstanding

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Good points today, but, UCONN is still the best team in WCBB by far and after watching today's games..No contest
USC.Cannot shoot beyond 5', Tenn is done, FSU is good, but lacks balance, Watch out this week for the DePaul to beat ND at South Bend

It wouldn't shock me to see Depaul win that game. Right before they played us ND survived against Ohio St by 3 points. A team that we demolished. Matchups can bring about in interesting results.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
A win over ND is a special win, no matter what transpires over 40 minutes ND really threatened us as a program, but UConn cut off all of that in the 2013 national semis. Ever since, it's been nothing but double-digit victories. This was yet mother 10-pointer; a game that was out of hand most of the way through the third quarter. We'll always see that kind of a win as a great win, not just a win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom