A view from the Southwest | The Boneyard

A view from the Southwest

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
Now that I live in the Albuquerque area, I get to read about women's basketball from a slightly different perspective. This morning the Albuquerque Journal reports that Danni Williams, who led Clovis, NM, High to a Class 5A state title last March as a sophomore, has received a scholarship offer from Baylor. The young lady is 5'9," a guard, and is attending the "Lady Bears' elite player camp" in Waco this week. According to her coach, she has 20 "high-level" scholarship offers, including New Mexico, Texas Tech, and Washington State. I was amused by her coach's comment that Baylor "is about as tall as the cotton gets around here."

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
For those interested in how the other half lives, I thought today's women's basketball story out of the University of New Mexico was worth noting. According to this morning's Albuquerque Journal, the coach of UNM's women's basketball team, Yvonne Sanchez, has offered scholarships to five members of the same high school team, Texas Elite Christian, which is located near Austin. Two are juniors and three are sophomores. Thus, the earliest they could theoretically arrive in Albuquerque would be 2015. Needless to say their HS coach indicates they have other offers, including another mass scholarship offer from North Texas.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
For those interested in how the other half lives, I thought today's women's basketball story out of the University of New Mexico was worth noting. According to this morning's Albuquerque Journal, the coach of UNM's women's basketball team, Yvonne Sanchez, has offered scholarships to five members of the same high school team, Texas Elite Christian, which is located near Austin. Two are juniors and three are sophomores. Thus, the earliest they could theoretically arrive in Albuquerque would be 2015. Needless to say their HS coach indicates they have other offers, including another mass scholarship offer from North Texas.

That must be a New Mexico thing. I found myself in Las Cruces for a NMST men's game a while back. I noticed "Super" John Williamson's jersey hanging from the rafters and wondered how the heck did a New Haven kid end up out here of all places. The story I heard later is that they offered Williamson AND 2 of his teammates schollies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Now that I live in the Albuquerque area, I get to read about women's basketball from a slightly different perspective. This morning the Albuquerque Journal reports that Danni Williams, who led Clovis, NM, High to a Class 5A state title last March as a sophomore, has received a scholarship offer from Baylor. The young lady is 5'9," a guard, and is attending the "Lady Bears' elite player camp" in Waco this week. According to her coach, she has 20 "high-level" scholarship offers, including New Mexico, Texas Tech, and Washington State. I was amused by her coach's comment that Baylor "is about as tall as the cotton gets around here."

Danni Williams G 2015 will be playing in a tournament at Mater Dei HS on Sept 28 and a UNM site (lobolair) tweeted that Geno will be there watching her play. Of course if Geno is at MD on the 28th his number 1 reason will be to check out Katie Lou Samuelson, but it sounds like he's interested in watching Williams play as well.

According to a tweet from the lobolair:

One D1 BCS college calls New Mexico's @danniwilliams03 the "best shooter in the world for her class" after they scouted internationally.

Reaction Score
Williamson had some academic issues and NMSU was willing to overlook those.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Williamson had some academic issues and NMSU was willing to overlook those.

Who's Williamson? This thread is about Danni Williams, a high school soph from NM.

EDIT: I see now there is a mention of a Williamson from CT. I was confused to see another post in this thread so closely after mine since there hadn't been one since June.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Who's Williamson? This thread is about Danni Williams, a high school soph from NM.
WilliamSON was a CT hoopster from New Haven who played at Wilbur Cross 40 years ago who played hoops at New Mexico State. In 1970 at WC he averaged almost 39 point a game. He was a 6'2" skywalker like David Thompson. He was menitoned earlier in the thread. LINK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom