A view after the dust settles | Page 2 | The Boneyard

A view after the dust settles

Reaction Score
The fans chanting Danny Hurley were in the students section it seemed to be in the second level. Hurley knew it was inappropriate and tried to shut it down. I watched the highlights yesterday and I saw 2 UConn players blocked in the back during the return after the Rosa flip as the returner was nearing the NC State sideline. Fagano got out of the pocket a couple times after halftime and could have run but threw incompletions.

Reaction Score
After being at the game, then rewatching the game yesterday, the sequence of events after Rosa’s TD run really took all the life out of the game for us in what was already a struggle to make any positive plays.

The TD gets us to 17-14, but Rosa’s flip gets us 15yds back on the kickoff. So we kickoff from the 20. NCSt’s kicker returns it about 40 yds to the UConn 40, then tack on 15 more for the late hit on the NCSt safety who got injured (it didn’t necessarily look like a dirty hit, but it was late and the player got hurt worse than it looked).

At this point the crowd is already frustrated by the penalties and confused about what happened to the NCSt player (no good replays on the jumbotron to clarify) in what becomes a delay of several minutes to administer medical help to the kid.

Who were the fans who chanted “Danny Hurley” during this time? We’re getting called classless and dirty because of it, and the late hit & injury just further galvanized NC State to score that TD. With all the penalties they start from about the 25 and march into the endzone, pretty much wiping out any chance of a UConn comeback.

End of the game the NCState linebacker makes a pick then immediately runs to the sidelines and waves bye to the UConn fans behind the State bench. He must have been waiting for that opportunity.

So the lessons here - don’t commit dumb penalties that will jeopardize your team, don’t do stupid things that will piss off the other team that is already better than you, and when the other team’s player is injured, please STFU. You make us all look bad.
While I agree the penalty helped knock of us off what was otherwise a good comeback in the making, think this play is getting more attention than it deserves.

Where we ever in a position to win the game? The Answer is no. We didn’t do the things we needed to do - force turnovers, stop the QB from running all over us all game, and our QB could not throw downfield and he stopped running effectively after than first round of plays.

Not worried about pissin’ off opponents, they have all the incentive they need to win games.

This one was failure to execute and play to win the game. There were many opportunities that was missed that left me thinking - NC State was the better team who also got some assistance from the Stripes. We need to focus on eliminating dumb penalties - yes - but there was far more important things that explain why we lost the game. Good teams can play through these types of things - we did not. Live, Learn and thankful V Rosa is on our team - he‘ll learn but let us move on.

Reaction Score
While I agree the penalty helped knock of us off what was otherwise a good comeback in the making, think this play is getting more attention than it deserves.

Where we ever in a position to win the game? The Answer is no. We didn’t do the things we needed to do - force turnovers, stop the QB from running all over us all game, and our QB could not throw downfield and he stopped running effectively after than first round of plays.

Not worried about pissin’ off opponents, they have all the incentive they need to win games.

This one was failure to execute and play to win the game. There were many opportunities that was missed that left me thinking - NC State was the better team who also got some assistance from the Stripes. We need to focus on eliminating dumb penalties - yes - but there was far more important things that explain why we lost the game. Good teams can play through these types of things - we did not. Live, Learn and thankful V Rosa is on our team - he‘ll learn but let us move on.
So down 17-14 late in 3rd qtr. is not in position to win, having ball with 8+ minutes to play down 10 with 1st down at the NCS 41 is not in a position to win?

Why does a player have to showboat in order to learn something that he should already know.

You move on, I'm stuck on stupid penalties, vanilla defense scheme not reacting to game events like running QB and very unimaginative play calling. That is all coaching.

The failure to execute was on the coaches offensive, defensive and special team's schemes.

Beginning to see bad passing offense wasn't as much on ZT last year as on Charlton.

Reaction Score
The failure to execute was on the coaches offensive, defensive and special team's schemes.

Beginning to see bad passing offense wasn't as much on ZT last year as on Charlton.

Buck stops w/ Mora (& Charlton) but w/ a new QB, new Pass Game Coordinator, new WR Coach and new TE Coach > gotta hope they (including players) got the first game jitters out and can gel moving forward the next few games before Duke...

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
The flip was a penalty. There was nobody near him and he was showing off. It gets called 100% of the time. 100%. He needs more poise. I think he will probably show it next time. Other than that I agree with you on Charlton-Fagnano. Jury is out on whether he can call a game at this level. I hadn’t thought of it in those terms but I kind of get your opinion on that. And the refs were awful
I saw a D-back do the exact same flip into the end zone on a pick-6 during the Auburn-UMass game. There was no penalty called.

Reaction Score
The first offensive drive was beautifully constructed and executed. It showed we could create 5-15 yard gains both running and throwing. Given that, we should have thrown a few deeper balls to further stretch and confuse the defense. JF has a strong enough arm to do so. We have to try more 20+ yard pass patterns. I suppose this will be easier in our next two games but sure would've been nice to see in game 1 because it might have made our last drive wayyyy more important.

Reaction Score
In a game in which NC St was called for one penalty in the entire game, I can see why some people might be frustrated. We got abused by ACC refs.
Continually pointing out a play where the refs got it right might not be the best way to express how bad the refs were.

Reaction Score
So down 17-14 late in 3rd qtr. is not in position to win, having ball with 8+ minutes to play down 10 with 1st down at the NCS 41 is not in a position to win?

Why does a player have to showboat in order to learn something that he should already know.

You move on, I'm stuck on stupid penalties, vanilla defense scheme not reacting to game events like running QB and very unimaginative play calling. That is all coaching.

well, I agree on the stupid playcalling for sure.- when receiver after not open, and Qb nowhere to run - they've figured out your scheme - OC needs to adjust.

Reaction Score

I can’t get there on the Rosa gaff , but I get the frustration. Your focus on coaching is well placed. The more time there is to take in and process what occurred it is pretty obvious the in game coaching killed us on both sides of the ball. I can give the D a grudging pass because I’m sure the whole thesis was deny the big play and make them work. But it was at the cost of having a QB run wild. At some point you need to adjust and take risk. We died on the sword put in the ground.

O - there are no excuses. Bad play calling all day. He’s a freshman throw on the field excuse wore thin by the end of last season. Bring his guy and QB learning the play book doesn’t apply. Mature OL in hand and we are trying to out run a faster team instead of leveraging our downhill strength.

I repeat for the nth time, Charlton had not shown he is up to the task and proves it over and over. I hope like hell he finds a groove or it’s going to another low O production frustrating experience.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom