A view after the dust settles | The Boneyard

A view after the dust settles

Reaction Score
After a lot great commentary and analysts and watching a few clips I don’t think the culprits are so plainly obvious as they may appear. So, here are some thoughts:

1. No poise - Baloney. This is hogwash beyond one late hit. The Rosa penalty should have never been called. He made a legitimate football move diving into the endzone with a guy on his tail. He couldn’t see. Was it celebration motivated? Probably, but unless it’s taunting or an act that is clearly a non football move, no ref makes that call. Also, the coaches did a horrible job defending the players after the PI. Mora should have been on that field throwing an absolute fit if for no other reason than to get a call later. Remember the D just shut down NCState on a 4 play goal line stand. You get your butt on the field and defend their amazing effort. Probably should have thrown a Hurley and himself ejected. Never let that slide.

2. Speed and Bad Tackling. Our athletes were slower and that’s why a lot of missed tackles occurred. They spread us and got a lot of one on one open field situations. The D was entirely wrong for NCState. The D line did a great job pass rushing and flushing the QB but lacked the speed to close the deal. The failure to not spy the QB is on Mora. We did have limited success bringing additional pressure but it was done wrong. Delayed pressure up the middle would have been much smarter since the QB largest wasn’t breaking outside contain but moving up and out of the pocket. Leaving Jackson to sit 10 yards alone to chase close and make plays side line to side line against a fast team was insane. It made the kid look bad. They needed to make a choice to either bring up more help or bring fewer pass rushers.

3. O Play Calling Horrendous. First series brilliant. The remainder a disaster. So many bad calls and mistakes in not understanding where we were having success. Our O line is power run dominant and we had plenty of success between the tackles. That showed early and also showed late on the few occasions we did. We were getting 4+yards a run on most plays. Instead, Charlton kept trying to out run a faster team on the edge and we were continually shut down. We failed to use our TEs in any play action. Why? If we stayed power run heavy the play action passing game would have opened up some receivers, especially tight ends. Whatever advantage the Charlton- Fagnano past experience was supposed to yield, it wasn’t there. Why? Because Charlton still doesn’t know how to call a P5 game. The speed, athleticism and gave dynamics are different than FCS ball. He is killing us. His use of untimely gadgets shows impatience and his lack of confidence in being able to execute at critical moments. There was zero need for gadgets in that game.

4, Touching the 3rd Rail. Hard to criticize Mora because he has done a fantastic job and the team is clearly better. They showed up and slugged it out with a very good football team. But, the staff did the players no favors and didn’t not put them in the best position to win in this one. They have to do much better.

Looking forward to what comes. We have a real team on our hands.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
I agree with all your points beyond #1. Rosa was very obviously somersaulting and then chucked the ball up - there wasn’t a guy anywhere near him, and he checked before he did it. You can argue whether or not it’s appropriate, but it’s the rule

Reaction Score
I agree with all your points beyond #1. Rosa was very obviously somersaulting and then chucked the ball up - there wasn’t a guy anywhere near him, and he checked before he did it. You can argue whether or not it’s appropriate, but it’s the rule
The chucking was a violation. The dive and flip was not. I tend to think the combination of the two resulted in the call.

The refs didn’t call the game evenly. They were an ACC crew. I want to see Mora more aggressive with the officials. He’s a respected figure and I think it behooves him to make sure it stays that way. He can’t let the officials walk all over us.

Reaction Score
The chucking was a violation. The dive and flip was not. I tend to think the combination of the two resulted in the call.

The refs didn’t call the game evenly. They were an ACC crew. I want to see Mora more aggressive with the officials. He’s a respected figure and I think it behooves him to make sure it stays that way. He can’t let the officials walk all over us.
Watched an NC State YouTube channel do a balanced review of the game and they said there could have been many NC State OL holding calls but none made.

Reaction Score
Watched an NC State YouTube channel do a balanced review of the game and they said there could have been many NC State OL holding calls but none made.
What was the name of the youtube channel? I have seen a bunch of different channels.

Reaction Score

The flip was a penalty. There was nobody near him and he was showing off. It gets called 100% of the time. 100%. He needs more poise. I think he will probably show it next time. Other than that I agree with you on Charlton-Fagnano. Jury is out on whether he can call a game at this level. I hadn’t thought of it in those terms but I kind of get your opinion on that. And the refs were awful

Reaction Score
NC State was heading towards the scoreboard and had a pass to their right side and an O-lineman had a horse collar type grab on one of defenders in open space. Everyone saw it but the ref. The whole night I was looking for where our staff was in arguing the PI calls. One 5 yard penalty on NC State. No way. And Charlton was not impressive again. Our QB needs to run just like most P5 schools. His gadget plays kill momentum. It will be hard to top his first play call in the Myrtle Beach Bowl but he keeps trying.

Reaction Score
The flip was a penalty. There was nobody near him and he was showing off. It gets called 100% of the time. 100%. He needs more poise. I think he will probably show it next time. Other than that I agree with you on Charlton-Fagnano. Jury is out on whether he can call a game at this level. I hadn’t thought of it in those terms but I kind of get your opinion on that. And the refs were awful
You clearly didn't watch the Auburn game today.

ZOOCONN

the drive to win has to come from within
Reaction Score
Gourdine was held all night and JM was held on the outside on one of armstrongs long scrambles on 3rd down. Resulted in a 20yd run and conversion on 3rd down. Worst part? There was an official standing right in front of them when it happened and he just turned and walked away. I’m strongly against the “refs screwed us” argument most days but they surely didn’t call that game even. Don’t even get me started on the magic first down they were gifted when NCS way tackled out of bounds 2yds short of the line to gain, even the announcers were baffled.

Reaction Score
Gets called 100% of the time, huh?

You can probably sit out the rest of this discussion, scooter.

I think the question is, whether this gets called both ways. Based on what we saw the rest of the night the answer is a clear no. They probably admonish the NC State player and move on.

Reaction Score
well, I saw the exact same play in the Auburn game yesterday, and there was no flag. And since it followed a bunch of questionable calls, it's hard not to point to it here. watching it in real time it was harmless and could've easily been overlooked.

Reaction Score
well, I saw the exact same play in the Auburn game yesterday, and there was no flag. And since it followed a bunch of questionable calls, it's hard not to point to it here. watching it in real time it was harmless and could've easily been overlooked.
It was very clearly a good call in our game and the refs got it correct. The refs in the Auburn game however did not get it right and that is the questionable call, not the one in our game.

It is certainly an odd argument to say the refs were calling us for penalties that were not penalties and then use the time they clearly called a proper penalty as an example of them calling bad penalties because some refs in a different game screwed it up.

Reaction Score
It was very clearly a good call in our game and the refs got it correct. The refs in the Auburn game however did not get it right and that is the questionable call, not the one in our game.

It is certainly an odd argument to say the refs were calling us for penalties that were not penalties and then use the time they clearly called a proper penalty as an example of them calling bad penalties because some refs in a different game screwed it up.
In a game in which NC St was called for one penalty in the entire game, I can see why some people might be frustrated. We got abused by ACC refs.

Reaction Score
Lol, that wasn't a bail out so much as Taylor gaming the rules. Heck, he even asked about it immediately before the play.
Only time I know of when a player asking a ref a stupid question about the rules so badly confused the ref that he couldn’t make an easy call.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Only time I know of when a player asking a ref a stupid question about the rules so badly confused the ref that he couldn’t make an easy call.
Was it stupid or was it genius? He hemmed that ref in with the question. :)

Reaction Score
Charlton’s play calling was horrendous. Who was he talking to in the booth? Either way, Mora needs to address this.

Reaction Score
After being at the game, then rewatching the game yesterday, the sequence of events after Rosa’s TD run really took all the life out of the game for us in what was already a struggle to make any positive plays.

The TD gets us to 17-14, but Rosa’s flip gets us 15yds back on the kickoff. So we kickoff from the 20. NCSt’s kicker returns it about 40 yds to the UConn 40, then tack on 15 more for the late hit on the NCSt safety who got injured (it didn’t necessarily look like a dirty hit, but it was late and the player got hurt worse than it looked).

At this point the crowd is already frustrated by the penalties and confused about what happened to the NCSt player (no good replays on the jumbotron to clarify) in what becomes a delay of several minutes to administer medical help to the kid.

Who were the fans who chanted “Danny Hurley” during this time? We’re getting called classless and dirty because of it, and the late hit & injury just further galvanized NC State to score that TD. With all the penalties they start from about the 25 and march into the endzone, pretty much wiping out any chance of a UConn comeback.

End of the game the NCState linebacker makes a pick then immediately runs to the sidelines and waves bye to the UConn fans behind the State bench. He must have been waiting for that opportunity.

So the lessons here - don’t commit dumb penalties that will jeopardize your team, don’t do stupid things that will piss off the other team that is already better than you, and when the other team’s player is injured, please STFU. You make us all look bad.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom