A very strange "typo" from UNC - BS | The Boneyard

A very strange "typo" from UNC - BS

Reaction Score
from today's Raleigh paper:
"
This is the second time that Wheelan has said the accreditor would not look further into the NCAA’s report. The infractions committee reported that UNC officials had contended that its description of the classes as “academic fraud” in 2015 correspondence to the accreditor was a “typographical error.”

The infractions committee said it had to accept that characterization, and not pursue an academic fraud violation against the university, because a 2014 rule leaves decisions as to whether classes are legitimate up to the member schools."

Reaction Score
"
This is the second time that Wheelan has said the accreditor would not look further into the NCAA’s report. The infractions committee reported that UNC officials had contended that its description of the classes as “academic fraud” in 2015 correspondence to the accreditor was a “typographical error.”

The infractions committee said it had to accept that characterization, and not pursue an academic fraud violation against the university, because a 2014 rule leaves decisions as to whether classes are legitimate up to the member schools."

"it's over Johnnie!"

Reaction Score
"

I have written 20 novels, so I know "typographical errors," believe me! A typographical error would be "academic frog" or something of that ilk. :)

Reaction Score
Anyone who has worked in a bureaucratic environment knows that any correspondence of that magnitude from the institution was read, reread and approved at several levels of the administration, including the legal department before that letter went out.

Typo? Accepting that ridiculous excuse makes me wonder if the entire accreditation process is a fraud.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Typo? Accepting that ridiculous excuse makes me wonder if the entire accreditation process is a fraud.

Having worked on the institutional side of accreditation, I would say that it is most certainly not a fraud. But I would concede that in many instances, the accreditation team finds whatever virtues the school arranges for them to find. Most teams are not inclined to be extremely bold. That said, where the team finds a pattern of obfuscation or deception, the hammer falls quite hard. That’s why so many in higher ed are confused and dismayed at the UNC mess. The bogus courses were not an accident, nor were they without effect.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
"

Academic Fraud isn't fraud if you allow ALL of the student to participate in the (to steal a word from Kib: ahmmm?) typo errors. Someone participated in too many committee's of congress where a word is not a word. The last time I enjoyed word play was when I tried to determine what IS meant!
All those that thought the alligators were guarding the hen house apparently you knew what a truly great and effective organization the NCAA is, knew them.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Academic Fraud isn't fraud if you allow ALL of the student to participate in the (to steal a word from Kib: ahmmm?) typo errors. Someone participated in too many committee's of congress where a word is not a word. The last time I enjoyed word play was when I tried to determine what IS meant!
All those that thought the alligators were guarding the hen house apparently you knew what a truly great and effective organization the NCAA is, knew them.

They recruited students and student athletes using high academic standards as their main selling point. That’s fraud.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
ah, so you assume that the word "fraud" was the typo. I thought they were arguing that the typo was "academic." :)
To Shea (not Ralph)---the french touche'. It wasn't academic fraud, it was fraud heaped upon students and you know what I mean. But I like your analysis.
Next year, as thousands sign up to these new classes : Characteristics of mud pies, tasting moon pies, how to devour 110 hot dogs, nude bathing is it good for interpersonal relationships ,counting to 5 backwards, the search for 1 is a lonely number, sunbathing in Burmuda obviously I threw in actual courses.

Reaction Score
"it's over Johnnie!"

From all that has been written it was over before it started. Part 1: The KEY PHRASE/sentence; The schools have the right to determine that which is presented in any course, or words to that effect. Part 2. If those classes, without academic merit, are available to all student; the school has done nothing wrong. ??? Part 1 is a must for academic freedom.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom