A unlikely rising tide in the SEC | The Boneyard

A unlikely rising tide in the SEC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was lucky (for personal reasons) to spend some time in Nashville this past week and watch a SEC team which typically has a disadvantage recruiting in the SEC, .......compete with some of the best.

That team.......Vanderbilt.

Last Saturday my brother and I watched them (on TV) beat a team no CFB would have them Beat in their wildest imaginations.......Florida. Forget the fact Florida is having an off year due to a rash of injuries.......historically a medi0cre Florida team should consistently beat a team that doesn't admit the same type of skilled players because of academic standards.

But get this, the QB that led Vanderbilt to a "V" at Florida (11/9)was a true freshmen put into the line of fire due to a severe injury to the starting QB four weeks earlier when they almost upset Ole Miss.

I like Coach Franklins attitude which I witnessed yesterday (11/16) when they beat Kentucky @ Vandy. They have a fairly high success rate of converting 4th and ____ for a first. From anywhere on the field. And I'm not saying its something like 3 of six 4th down conversions.....its more like 9 of 17 or some other ridiculously high ratio. He did it the previous two years also. His commentary after the victory over Florida was something like " We have a maximum of four plays to make ten yards. I don't necessarily subscribe to the theory ......run three plays, and if you don't make ten yards, surrender. That sends a message to the team that you don't believe in them or trust that they can do the job.

And he does this anywhere on the field at any time. This past Saturday Vandy got the opening kickoff and was faced with 4th and two at their own 26......and made it!

And with time winding down in the 4th quarter.....Vandy up 15-6, and inside the Kentucky 20, Coach Franklin could have let the play clock run out, take a five yard penalty, and do the safe think....kick a field goal, go up 18-6, and leave Kentucky needing 2-TD's to win. I guess that is "surrendering" ........he calls time out with 1 second left on the play clock (everyone was expecting Kentucky to use a TO to stop the clock). Fourth down, a few yards to go, he gives up the "sure" 3 points and gambles for a 1st down instead. A fake handoff (which completely fools Kentucky players and everyone in the stands) results in a pass to a wide open receiver for a TD!

Now Kentucky, down 22-6, needs 3 scores to win......not enough time......even with help from the "good Fairy".

And Vandy's all time SEC leading receiver.....was every bit of his press acclaims.

Much different atmosphere that any BE or AAC game I've attended. And game fans told me every time I said something like "I don't believe he did that" .....that's typical Franklin. An under manned, under skilled (by SEC standards) team competing with, and sometimes beating some well established conference mates.

A combination of being in a good conference, having an exciting coach that can get "some of the best" to choose Vandy over more prominent SEC and Big 12 teams, certainly has Nashville buzzing.

Vanderbilt......an unlikely team on the rise in the SEC.

I can only dream that UConn can find a coach like that.......if Franklin leaves Vandy, it won't be for UConn.

Reaction Score
Franklin is my dream candidate and I say that knowing there is zero chance we could get him. That dude can coach. Amazing UMD had him, and passed on him to hire Randy Edsall.

Reaction Score
Vandy knew what they were doing when they upped his salary to 2.7 million. He'll be over 3 soon either there or somewhere else.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Franklin is a serious candidate at USC. Reports say they are willing to pay their next coach $6M/yr. I'd say Franklin would be worth the hirer end of that salary range, especially if Ed Orgeron stays on as his recruiting coordinator like he has said that he wants to do.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Function of schedule, he'd a decent to good coach but don't be fooled. The bottom half of the SEC is just as bad as the bottom half of any major conference, maybe worse because its likely overrepresented by underachieving players overly full of themselves because they play in the SEC.

Also, he almost got beat by a comatose PP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom