A true measure of UConn presence in the market | The Boneyard

A true measure of UConn presence in the market

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Wednesday night television ratings for sports should be real interesting to see on Thursday.

The world series, with Texas and St. Louis on primetime. No way we're going to get into any of that television market. But the east coast?

I'd like to see the numbers of UConn v. Pitt on ESPN up against other sports programming on wednesday night.

I have no prediction as to what the numbers would be. I just want to see it. You bet ESPN is watching, and Pittsburgh is not the team that the north/east market is going to turn on to see.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I'll be afraid to find out the number.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
You can't blame anyone for not getting good ratings when they're matched up against game 5 of a 2-2 World Series.

Reaction Score
There are two, and only two, numbers of critical importance in this game. One is how many points they score and the other is how many points we score.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I must have been in the south too long. I haven't watched one pitch of the World Series. I would be more likely to watch a CFB game like FIU playing Middle Tennessee St than watch baseball.

Reaction Score
You are talking about a game between two less than exciting BE teams vs a possible world series game. I would guess both BE teams do poorly in their own home states.......not much interest outside of Penn or Ct either

Reaction Score
First, how on God's green earth can you gauge anyone's position in the marketplace when it's up against the World Series? Secondly, why would you want to?

Reaction Score
I can get the rating points Thursday through work if you'd like.

Reaction Score
"I have no prediction as to what the numbers would be. I just want to see it. You bet ESPN is watching, and Pittsburgh is not the team that the north/east market is going to turn on to see."

Uh, ESPN already made its decision when the ACC expanded with Syracuse and Pitt rather than Syracuse and UConn. BTW, we both suck out loud nobody is going to watch this game and they are certainly not going to watch our game over something worthwhile.

Reaction Score
I bet if we were playing Houston we could get great ratings. Though I imagine it would draw a lot of dumb ducking Houston grads.

Just sayin'

Reaction Score
i don't think playing opposite the world series is necessarily a bad thing. most people i know that watch baseball(or really any sport) look for a secondary game to jump to during lulls in the action. it could be good exposure even if it's not reflected in the ratings per se. hopefully we'll give them something good to watch.

Reaction Score
Could be worse. The UConn v Pitt game could be up against an SEC, PAC-12, Big-Whatever, other Big 8 or 9, and even the ACC. Then a ratings problem. Possible solution? Put up more points on the scoreboard than the World Series. Let's not have the Huskies involve in a 2-0 game. Even if they win, the conference suffers because 49-47 is the way the college game is played today, not 16-13 with 5 FGs between the two teams.

U

UConn9604

I'd like to see the numbers of UConn v. Pitt on ESPN up against other sports programming on wednesday night.

Does anyone have a good, reliable source (link) that you can readily access to find the ratings for a particular game? I have never been able to find one, and I can only generally find stories about ratings, not sources of the ratings themselves. Thanks in advance.

Reaction Score
Does anyone have a good, reliable source (link) that you can readily access to find the ratings for a particular game? I have never been able to find one, and I can only generally find stories about ratings, not sources of the ratings themselves. Thanks in advance.

I work in the ad industry. I look at ratings all day haha. I'll reach out to ESPN directly first thing Thursday morning.

U

UConn9604

I work in the ad industry. I look at ratings all day haha. I'll reach out to ESPN directly first thing Thursday morning.

Are these trade secrets? I think it's an interesting enough concept to have the numbers made available, almost like fantasy football stats.

(1995 me just looked at 2011 me like I'm nuts.)

Reaction Score
They aren't necessarily trade secrets, but cable ratings are harder for the general public to come across than broadcast network ratings.

Most of the ratings you hear about in the news and on blogs come from Live+Same Day viewing which measure the Live and DVR viewing until 3am after the airdate of the average minute, program and commercials, during an entire show. This is fairly easy for the general public to obtain.

We buy media using whats called C+3 Day commercial ratings. They measure Live and DVR viewing of the average commercial minute during a show within 3 days of airdate. You will rarely see these numbers made available to the public as this is what determines how much we pay the networks and is one of many different factors we negotiate off of.

C3 data also takes more time to be finalized/measured (upwards of three weeks after the program airs) but they ultimately tend to be fairly close to the Live+Same Day rating. Live+Same Day just happens to be the fastest measurement that is made available.

While I am able to pull Broadcast ratings from Nielsen's database immediately on my own, I am unable to pull Cable overnight (Live+Same Day) ratings since they take longer to process. That's why I have to reach out to the network directly.

Like most of you, I am anticipating a low rating from the game, which is a bummer because we have a commercial scheduled to air in it. The World Series will certainly be a driving factor, but there are also other high profile shows that will be airing originals that night as well; including Modern Family and Survivor. It doesn't help that both teams haven't been playing very well either.

U

UConn9604

Thanks -- I vividly remember Francesa and Russo going through the ratings (nationally and New York) after football games. Mad Dog would cite a game, and then Francesa would give him his prediction of the national and New York numbers. Sometimes Francesa would drill them both.

Anyway, I always wondered where they got their numbers for -- and this was the 1990s, before things like DVRs and internet TV and whatnot really took off, so (based on your E-mail) I can see how those numbers are impossible to come by, at least instantaneously.

Reaction Score
The ratings on Wednesday with no other college football games to compete with aren't very important.
Rutgers' incredible ratings in the NYC area a few years ago when they played Louisville did nothing to get them out of this sh!thole conference.

Reaction Score
Alright guys. Sorry for the delay but had some fires to put out yesterday so I didn't have a chance to get the ratings as early as I wanted.

Wednesday's game did a 0.5 rating on both Adults 18-34 and Adults 18-49 and attracted only 1.8 million viewers. This was 62% worse than the network estimated the game to do.

In comparison, Modern Family from 9-9:30p did a 3.9 A18-34 and 4.4 A18-49 rating while attracting over 11.3 million total viewers.

While cable almost always produces much smaller ratings than broadcast, live sports usually perform just as well as, if not better than, broadcast prime programs. Sadly in this case, it did not...

Also - Game 6 of the World Series did a 5.0 A18-34 and a 5.8 A18-49 with about 20 million people tuning in. That's data from only the 8-11p hours since the overnight ratings don't report past 11p. The game went beyond that so I'm sure the final numbers will be higher.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Wednesday's game did a 0.5 rating on both Adults 18-34 and Adults 18-49 and attracted only 1.8 million viewers. This was 62% worse than the network estimated the game to do.

Wow. Astonishingly bad.

Reaction Score
Alright guys. Sorry for the delay but had some fires to put out yesterday so I didn't have a chance to get the ratings as early as I wanted.

In comparison, Modern Family from 9-9:30p did a 3.9 A18-34 and 4.4 A18-49 rating while attracting over 11.3 million total viewers.

While cable almost always produces much smaller ratings than broadcast, live sports usually perform just as well as, if not better than, broadcast prime programs. Sadly in this case, it did not...

Also - Game 6 of the World Series did a 5.0 A18-34 and a 5.8 A18-49 with about 20 million people tuning in. That's data from only the 8-11p hours since the overnight ratings don't report past 11p. The game went beyond that so I'm sure the final numbers will be higher.

As a point of comparison what did ESPN2 do for the same time. I believe they had on a World Series of Poker Show. Were the wives in possession of the clickers and the men had given up on sports for the night?

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger