A Thoughtful Article from Graham Hayes | The Boneyard

A Thoughtful Article from Graham Hayes

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"Tied to Moriah Jefferson, Breanna Stewart and Morgan Tuck, the classmates who were part of four consecutive national championships and closed their careers with 75 wins in a row, Collier, Nurse, Samuelson and Williams can almost never be more than understudies. The longest winning streak in the history of the sport is an epic story, but they are supporting characters. But hints of weariness, quickly hidden beneath polite answers, that flash across their faces when asked the inevitable questions about the streak suggest they understand this all too well.

Everyone at UConn answers questions about those who came before them.

But for 14 games, most far more competitive than Wednesday, they are inviting questions about who they are. In all four cases the daughters or siblings of Division I basketball players, they have in some ways prepared their whole lives for the roles they now have.

“They’ve only played 14 games, so let’s not get ahead of ourselves,” Auriemma said in an on-court television interview after the game. “But right now, I would say, that core group of four, I don’t know who in the country is playing better than they are.”

Well enough to put together an impressive winning streak.

Even if it isn’t the streak we’re all talking about."

All eyes on 89, but UConn's 14-0 start is remarkable on its own

Long quote I know, but I wanted to give him his due and a very big mucho props to "the Core 4". I don't know where this year will end for our Huskies, but I do hope this team is taking at least a little time, right now, to celebrate establishing it's own identity. I think they have.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Almost everyone at UC0nn has been an understudy at some point. Maya may be the only exception. It's not a bad thing.

Reaction Score
There were 2 things in the article that amazed me--
1. The year after Diane T. left we lost 8 games & the year after Maya M. left we lost 5 games. Sort of puts this amazing year in perspective.
2. All of the big 4 this year have siblings or parents that played Div. I college basketball. I wonder if that has something to do with it.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
"Tied to Moriah Jefferson, Breanna Stewart and Morgan Tuck, the classmates who were part of four consecutive national championships and closed their careers with 75 wins in a row, Collier, Nurse, Samuelson and Williams can almost never be more than understudies. The longest winning streak in the history of the sport is an epic story, but they are supporting characters. But hints of weariness, quickly hidden beneath polite answers, that flash across their faces when asked the inevitable questions about the streak suggest they understand this all too well.

“They’ve only played 14 games, so let’s not get ahead of ourselves,” Auriemma said in an on-court television interview after the game.

Long quote I know, but I wanted to give him his due and a very big mucho props to "the Core 4". I don't know where this year will end for our Huskies, but I do hope this team is taking at least a little time, right now, to celebrate establishing it's own identity. I think they have.

Of course if the streak continues for another 6 months or so, the conversation will be slightly different, eh? :)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
There were 2 things in the article that amazed me--
1. The year after Diane T. left we lost 8 games & the year after Maya M. left we lost 5 games. Sort of puts this amazing year in perspective.
2. All of the big 4 this year have siblings or parents that played Div. I college basketball. I wonder if that has something to do with it.
Of course the year after Sue, Asjha, Swin, and Tamika graduated we lost one game and won a championship.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom