A Thought on Turnovers | The Boneyard

A Thought on Turnovers

C

Chief00

Chief has been thinking about turnovers and why we have so many given our guard focused lineup. Remember the old adage, you are what you practice?
A thought occurred to me, since maybe 70% of practice is defense and the fact that we emphasize pressure defense - a turnover in practice seems like a success.
Given our performance we need more practice segments that measure successful ball safety as an outcome. Turning the ball over is a failure not a success for the defense.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
A lot of our turnovers happen because our bigs are unskilled. How many times have you seen our bigs fumble a great pass from Gilbert or Adams? Or not be able to hold onto a rebound? Or not be able to pass the ball out successfully? I’m hoping Diarra and Cobb starting will remedy that

Reaction Score
To follow Chief's original thought, I'm actually almost shocked at how often the Husky guards penetrate and lose their dribble/get stolen in the lane. That includes Gilbert. Very surprised at the number of such turnovers.

Reaction Score
A press defense guard lineup that we have to go with is going to have a lot of fouls, steals and turnovers but the latter has to be reduced. Yakwe it’s BBIQ, Vital makes bad decisions as does Gilbert time to time, hopefully he gets better but Vital is what he is because his handle is not good.

Reaction Score
Chief has been thinking about turnovers and why we have so many given our guard focused lineup. Remember the old adage, you are what you practice?
A thought occurred to me, since maybe 70% of practice is defense and the fact that we emphasize pressure defense - a turnover in practice seems like a success.
Given our performance we need more practice segments that measure successful ball safety as an outcome. Turning the ball over is a failure not a success for the defense.
The Boneyard doesn't pay Chief to think.

Reaction Score
To follow Chief's original thought, I'm actually almost shocked at how often the Husky guards penetrate and lose their dribble/get stolen in the lane. That includes Gilbert. Very surprised at the number of such turnovers.

Gilbert has done that a lot. But I attribute most of it to rust. We know Vital is out of control sometimes. And for a point guard, Adams just isn’t the best ball handler. It’s one of his weaknesses. I expect all to improve on this. Our guards are good and they are playing very hard.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
New push tempo takes time to get used to. Be quick but don't rush. I'll be surprised if this is an issue in January.

Reaction Score
That ain't it. One way to think about Gilbert is that he is 11 games into his freshman season. I don't think he has played a conference game yet. In his third year he is just beginning to adjust to the speed of college ball with the lights on. And there is still considerable rust from long stretches of no basketball.

Add in that all the guards are playing in a new system with new teammates. That produces turnovers. Once Gilbert is up to speed, the players become more comfortable in the new system, and the group develops some chemistry with each other, then the TOs will come down.

And it will be really fun to watch.

Reaction Score
Well when you turn it over you play more defense.

Reaction Score
I think there is some carelessness on the offensive side in general. Jalen and AG need to own that and improve it. But I don’t think it’s abnormally high from them, just something we need to excel at as a team to be very good this year.

Vital’s usage is too high and his TO % is over 25%. That’s gotta stop, I suspect DH is working on this already. It’s pretty glaring.

Yakwe is turning it over 45% of the time he gets the ball, so that doesn’t work. Low usage, but no point involving him in the offense if that can’t be fixed. Needs to think pass more, slow his game down on offense.

Reaction Score
LOL. Chief00's reasoning is because practice is defense, UConn had more TOs in games? But UConn TOs are in games vs opponents not vs practice players.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
It’s a new team. They may still need to Gel.
It will got better as the minutes and rolls get figured out. WIP

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
More passing.....less dribbling for guards. Axiom: You cannot outrun or "out-dribble" a pass Bigs ............expect and practice receiving passes or rebounds and protecting the ball. Since our guards have dominated the rebounding the last few years it is quite a novelty to have someone like Cobb dominating the offensive glass.
At the other end guards should be expecting outlet passes. There are going to be more games where Cobb is going to need someone other than guards to help rebound. Yakweh, Diarra and Carlton are going to have to step up to the plate. Whalley as well. Even Kwintin. Our bigs have to make a statement. It is just inexcusable to have guards leading the team in rebounding. Inexcusable. I looked back at Rod Sellers who was 6-9 and listed at 238 for all four years. I doubt he was the heavy in his first couple of years. Not a particular jumping jack. Just solid fundamentals and a blue collar attitude of "this is my job."

BTW, hats off to Cobb and all the staff for helping him to shine! You could see the potential before. Taking it one day at a time he could really have a nice career and who knows what his upside is? Remember the "Round Mound of Rebound" at Auburn? The guys that trusted JC were greatly rewarded. I think the same will be true for Hurley.

Reaction Score
New push tempo takes time to get used to. Be quick but don't rush. I'll be surprised if this is an issue in January.

I agree - I expect the team's ballhandling to improve as the season progresses. And I hope that the frequency with which their dribble-drives have been stripped to-date reduces dramatically.

Reaction Score
I support this as it makes all the right sense

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom