A Telling JA Quote | Page 3 | The Boneyard

A Telling JA Quote

C

Chief00

No, Jerome always played hard and was tough, can't say the same for Jalen. I meant more they are similar in terms of how good they are at UConn.

Jalen has more ability around the rim, Jerome would try and dunk on your head while Jalen can be really smooth around the rim but does everything possible to not get fouled.

They are similar in that they are both suited to be the third option on a really good team. Jerome was at his best when he just fit into his role in the season where he went down with injury, when he had to be the man he couldn't do it. Jalen has always been asked to be the man and he could never do it. While their games aren't the same they are really similar in that they both can't really shoot, they turn it over far too much and they are players that need to blend in instead of lead.
Good post. The other thing they had in common, in Chief’s opinion, was lack of game prep. This includes working on their own taking shots, getting adequate rest and understanding the scouting report.

Reaction Score
That's what he was saying. He was hoping to,not ignore it, but to finally move past it. Because it's never going to materialize. Yet, people keep bringing it up, doing the kid no favors.

Most guards are kinda screwed here after having Kemba/Bazz nearly back to back. Nowhere to go but down.

I disagree with the Kemba/Bazz legacy screwing anyone. I don’t expect him to be either of them I just expect him, and the others, to be able to do what they can to help the team. Simply put he’s not.

Reaction Score
Every time I see Wilson I think well I hope you live up to that number.

Reaction Score
Full quote from Adams in some guy's article:

“Every time I’m out here with my teammates if I’m not feeling it, they’re going to try to take over. And vice versa. If I am feeling it, they’ll keep feeding me. I don’t worry about the pressure buildup on myself. There’s definitely a lot more help than previous years. I’ve got to do a better job adjusting and making the extra pass earlier, knowing that I don’t have to always get down here and score or be the one who to get the assist. I can get the hockey assists, more of a willing passer will go a long way for me.”

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think Jalen isn’t really a true PG though, I think he’s a kid who’s a combo & been asked to play PG for a large percentage of his career. He’s been able to get by w/ good athleticism/craft for the position, but to call him a true PG isn’t correct. Lots will point at his assist totals as to why he’s a PG and “creates for others” but in all actuality, lots of this assists are bail outs for failed ISO ball leading to a made low percentage shot at the end of a shot clock. (Specifically year 2/3)

Bah. When he has prepared himself to be a PG, he has many times dominated. The first year Alterique got hurt, and last year, Adams had to shift gears and become a point guard. Two years ago he needed to play every minute and not foul out as well. He was our only ball handler. When he is told to go make everyone better and worry about scoring as a secondary focus he's been very good at it. Like half the team, he's playing an uncomfortable role right now.

I think Hurley finally recognizes this, and early against UCF you saw Jalen on the ball and Gilbert off. The result was a few good 3s by AG off of Jalen's passes.

From the Courant today:
“What we’re doing at the defensive end has probably hurt Jalen more on the offensive end,” Hurley said, “Just how hard we’re trying to get the guys to play man-on-man instead of sitting in a zone, he’s probably spending a lot more energy on the defensive end, which has probably had more of an effect on his offense, and the lack of inside game, the lack of guys around him making shots. ... This is really Al’s first go-round, it takes time for guys to learn to play off each other, where guys like the ball. ... The best thing Jalen does with the ball is drive it. We need Tyler to make shots, someone in the interior to throw it in to.

"More guys playing well around him is probably the only solution.”

Reaction Score
Never said anything about his quote. We know Jalen has taken games off because we've seen Jalen take games off.

I was talking about his quote. The whole thread is about his quote. People are saying that Adams implied in his quote that he takes games off. Why respond with a non-sequitir to a post about his quote?

Reaction Score
I was talking about his quote. The whole thread is about his quote. People are saying that Adams implied in his quote that he takes games off. Why respond with a non-sequitir to a post about his quote?
We don't need a quote to know Jalen has taken games off, we have our eyes.

Jalen didn't bring up Bazz and Kemba either, the whole thread is about Jalen's game and how it hasn't developed.

Reaction Score
Jalen doesn't have to shoot all the time if hes not on but when UConn goes into a bad slump he NEEDS to be the one to get basket to get us out. He NEEDS to be the one to score to stop another teams big run.

In 4 years I have never seen Jalen take over a game and lead us to a victory. He doesn't have it in him. He is a slasher who gets creative on his layups and scores but can't draw fouls or consistently hit an outside shot. Hes actually a very good passer when driving but does no good when your teammates cant hit. Jalen will have 20 and we will be down 10 and I'm like when did he score 20?

Also, if you watc the UCF game they were playing him to his left. He goes right all day and he is the worst at splitting defenders. He turns it over or has to pick up his dribble almost everytime he tries to split 2 defenders.
I'm ready for the Jalen Adams era to come to an end. I don't dislike Jalen as he never really had true big since he took over, i just associate him with all this losing even though not really his fault.

Reaction Score
Jalen doesn't have to shoot all the time if hes not on but when UConn goes into a bad slump he NEEDS to be the one to get basket to get us out. He NEEDS to be the one to score to stop another teams big run.

In 4 years I have never seen Jalen take over a game and lead us to a victory. He doesn't have it in him. He is a slasher who gets creative on his layups and scores but can't draw fouls or consistently hit an outside shot. Hes actually a very good passer when driving but does no good when your teammates cant hit. Jalen will have 20 and we will be down 10 and I'm like when did he score 20?

Also, if you watc the UCF game they were playing him to his left. He goes right all day and he is the worst at splitting defenders. He turns it over or has to pick up his dribble almost everytime he tries to split 2 defenders.
I'm ready for the Jalen Adams era to come to an end. I don't dislike Jalen as he never really had true big since he took over, i just associate him with all this losing even though not really his fault.

...and this was not to be a homecoming reception. Shabazz Napier was stern, pointed. He spoke for a good 25 minutes and there wasn’t a murmur from the current Huskies.

“He definitely instilled that UConn pride,” said Jalen Adams, who followed Napier from Roxbury, Mass., to UConn. “You’ve got to play basketball the right way.”

“One of the biggest things he said that I took into my game was, ‘The game is going to tell you what to do,’” said Adams, who had 25 points, 20 in the second half, along with six assists and five rebounds. “Today was a perfect example. In the first half, the game was telling me to get in and create for my teammates, and in the second half, the game was telling me to get going because they were so spread out, I was able to get into the lane and to the basket.”

Reaction Score
We don't need a quote to know Jalen has taken games off, we have our eyes.

Jalen didn't bring up Bazz and Kemba either, the whole thread is about Jalen's game and how it hasn't developed.

If you're not talking about what the thread is about (Jalen's quote, it's right in the title, open your eyes) nor what I wrote, then why bother even replying.

I could agree with you 100% about Jalen's effort, and that still would have nothing to do with my post or the thread.

But just go on being superjohn and living in your own world.

evmore

FRIENDOftheprogram
Reaction Score
it is 50/50 a talent/mind issue, and if Bobby Knight was telling the truth about basketball being 3:1 mental>physical, then somewhere in that mess of an equation is Jalen.. his catch & shot is a process.. not fluid, almost as if he regrets shooting before it happens... his shot off the dribble to the right looks good, but only goes in about 20% of the time, probably less so to the left.. in transition he's fine.. elite athleticism will get you far.. but his tendency to attempt to dribble through defenders would be funny id it didn't hurt.. he can drive right on anyone & finish any 1v1 scenario, but when that help comes and turns him left, watch out. Jumping without a plan, dribbling off people's feet, and yes, the happy ending where he's on the floor looking at the teammate who couldn't have helped anything as if he's to blame. Basketball is a fickle game.. as bad as everything appears now, if 2 or 3 of his 17' jumpers go down instead of clank & maybe his confidence kicks in & we hold off South Florida... But its not like he's the reason we aren't ranked 3 in the country.

Reaction Score
If you're not talking about what the thread is about (Jalen's quote, it's right in the title, open your eyes) nor what I wrote, then why bother even replying.

I could agree with you 100% about Jalen's effort, and that still would have nothing to do with my post or the thread.

But just go on being superjohn and living in your own world.
Musings from the asylum.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Well, Jalen was feeling it - very solid night for him. He hit some threes, got fouled on drives to the basket, finished with his left hand, dished out assists, fought for rebounds, played hard, and had 21 pts. That's the Jalen we need.

Reaction Score
Thanks I couldn't see how it connected to pressure. With that said, he's talking like he's an underclassmen. There is no tomorrow. Hot or not find a way to contribute to a win, instead of deferring or worse waiting until he feels it. That's one aspect of Vital's game I love (and different from Jalen's). He doesn't need to score a lot, make 3s or be 'hot', to make a difference or even be heard (including verbally). He looks for ways to help the team at all times.
Jalen deferring when he is not feeling it or hot is fine if he is helping to get the other guys good, open looks. But if they are struggling, the missing piece for me is that JA will take over, but he doesn’t seem able to get himself to the line to produce points (and also find his shooting rhythm) on what would otherwise be empty possessions. That’s the thing that KW and SN could do to help themselves and the whole team through offensive dry spells and keep games from getting out of hand.

I agree about CV. He just needs to realize when his confidence is going to lead him to do something counterproductive like taking that ill-advised 28’ three with 15 secs left on the shot clock or picking up that pointless reach-in foul 40’ from the basket with 5 secs left on the shot clock.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom