A Telling JA Quote | The Boneyard

A Telling JA Quote

Reaction Score
Let me preface this by saying, I feel for Jalen. He had large expectations coming to UConn to be another Shabazz or even Kemba, and that is hard enough. He has gone through coaching changes, been asked to lead when perhaps he wasn't ready, and has to do a lionshare of offensive production. Listening to his interview today, I thought this quote was interesting when he was asked about pressure:

"I know that if I am not feeling it, they will try and take over, and if I am feeling it they will feed me."

What made Bazz and Kemba what they were is that they knew their role. They knew they had to feel it every game, and that doesn't mean going 10-12 from the field, but for UConn to be successful they had to be the man every night, and for whatever reason, Jalen is not wired like that. He is not an alpha. I hope he can improve each game, and leave a great legacy at UConn, and I will try to remind myself he is just a kid.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
He probably would make a pretty good second option kinda like his freshman year w/DHam. I do have to say JA is "most definately" very friendly - easy to get a picture with, etc - likeable kid. Hopefully things pick up for him soon.

Reaction Score
We had the expectation more then anything. We saw great guards like Chris Smith, Ray, Ben, Kemba, Shabazz each year take over games for Uconn. Each guy mentioned had a guard(s) before him to teach them. We have not had that since. JA is a good guard on a mediocre team. AG is a good guard who should get better after playing much more. Vital, I believe we will continue to have good nights and questionable nights. Hopefully the new guys can push them pass just being good guards.

Now we need consistent front court help. Outside of Akok's potential, i have concerns with the front unless we get another good strong guy.

Reaction Score
You are the senior Mr. 4hunnid. You can’t take games off from producing if you are “not feeling it”.

Reaction Score
Nothing wrong with the quote he, isn't built the same as Bazz, Kemba or Boat it is what it is.

I didn't say anything was wrong with it; I just think he knows he isn't built like those other guys, so as a fan base we should temper our expectations and enjoy his last games as a Husky.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
There are a ton of guards who weren't Kemba, Napier or Ray, who stepped up to carry the mantle.

JA has the game, he lacks focus or game smarts. Whether that is not putting in the work, not trying to get better, or whatever 'it' is that made a succession of guys an Alpha guard over the years.

The only forgivable version of 'it' is not being coached by JC. He had no choice in that.

Reaction Score
He has talent (probably not as talented as many of us thought) but he just isn't nearly a serious enough player to lead at this level or to make the nba, he could have been a nice third option on a good team.

Reaction Score
Nothing wrong with the quote he, isn't built the same as Bazz, Kemba or Boat it is what it is.
It’s almost like we shouldn’t have forced a turnover prone poor shooting PG responsible for being the entire offense for the past 3 years.

Adams is good and you’d think he was terrible the way people talk about him simply because he can’t be a one man team.

Reaction Score
It’s almost like we shouldn’t have forced a turnover prone poor shooting PG responsible for being the entire offense for the past 3 years.

Adams is good and you’d think he was terrible the way people talk about him simply because he can’t be a one man team.
Couldn’t have said it better myself

Reaction Score
The expectations based off of very recent history before he got here were off the charts and him being from Roxbury like SN didn't help at all. Everyone just conferred "next great one" status on him.

To be fair anyone following KW and SN was going to be measured against some competition that very very few could live up to.

He's a good player (frustrating as hell at time for sure), but it's not a crime to not be KW or SN.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Jay Wright was asked before the Nova game about our team he said something to the effect of “I can’t believe how many wild off balance shots their guards take” while also saying that they often go in(often they don’t). This style of allowing your players an extreme amount of creativity is just not conducive to winning imo. I would rather have less talented players who play smart within a system. This is why JQ struggles to get minutes for Nova.

Reaction Score
The expectations based off of very recent history before he got here were off the charts and him being from Roxbury like SN didn't help at all. Everyone just conferred "next great one" status on him.

To be fair anyone following KW and SN was going to be measured against some competition that very very few could live up to.

He's a good player (frustrating as hell at time for sure), but it's not a crime to not be KW or SN.
We can start by stop bringing up Kemba and Shabazz in relation to him. This isn't directed at you but every day people post that he hasn't reached Kemba and Bazz, unfortunately for us and for Jalen he hasn't reached near the upper echelon of UConn players.

He's Jerome Dyson without the winning, Dyson had the benefit of playing with much better players.

Last edited:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Jay Wright was asked before the Nova game about our team he said something to the effect of “I can’t believe how many wild off balance shots their guards take” while also saying that they often go in(often they don’t). This style of allowing your players an extreme amount of creativity is just not conducive to winning imo. I would rather have less talented players who play smart within a system. This is why JQ struggles to get minutes for Nova.

This. System discipline matters in CBB. It's great to have a guy who can get a good shot in an iso situation at the end of the shot clock but that alone doesn't win games.

Reaction Score
Listen I’m not saying he bazz or Kemba - that’s too extreme we know he’s not like them and you guys can make excuses for him saying he’s not “wired” like that or he’s too nice of a kid or poor coaching (and all of this cud be somewhat true) he’s been here 4?years by now he should be taking the reins and taking over - can you at least be boatright status Jalen ? can u even give us that ? I don’t think it’s asking too much for our senior point guard - entering this season he had the chance one day to make millions in the NBA to give his all every game and by giving his all it doesn’t mean you have to be a leader- Vital gives his all but he’s not really a leader. And the worst thing about this whole Jalen situation is this team so young and they’re looking up to Jalen who’s been to tournaments and played tough competition before and he still will not lead - I have a problem with that.

Reaction Score
My favorite JA move is when he turns the ball over and falls down and just lays there like he did not do it all to himself.

Reaction Score
How do you guys explained it the 2 point Performance against Manhattan ? And the continuous disappearing acts? There is a difference between not showing up and your shot is not going in or playing poorly. That’s my issue

Reaction Score
Don’t want to crucify the kid but damn Jalen enough is enough already you ve been here 4 years- the young puppies need u.

Reaction Score
KO got a lot of flack for his recruiting, but I really think the shortcomings & drop off JC teams to KO teams were more intangibles vs skills.

Jalen is a great player, but as mentioned before he just doesn’t seem like an alpha line the Kemba/Bazz/Boats of the world. CV is that & while he has his continually BY discussed shortcomings, that Lead Dog/Alpha mentality is a necessity on teams. Something I believe DH & his father even mentioned when he took control of the team regarding competitors/alpha mentality on our roster. CV’s mind and heart in Jalens body is one of the greatest players in Connecticut history. Jalen is our version of Andrew Wiggins. Different positions of course but similar mental make up IMO.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
CV is that & while he has his continually BY discussed shortcomings, that Lead Dog/Alpha mentality is a necessity on teams.
I'd love to have DH reach out to Bazz to talk to CV (and Alterique for that matter) about how to be leader. Bazz struggled with that his soph year but eventually became good one. I think CV will consider next years team to be his team (which his fair given his scoring ability and his status as senior) and would be open to hearing how to lead them effectively.

Reaction Score
We can start by stop bringing up Kemba and Shabazz in relation to him. This isn't directed at you but every day people post that he hasn't reached Kemba and Bazz, unfortunately for us and for Jalen he hasn't reached near the upper echelon of UConn players.

He's Jerome Dyson without the winning, Dyson had the benefit of playing with much better players.

Holy Christ - the KW/SN comparison have been there from when he was being recruited to ignore that is absurd - it is what it is and that DOES influence peoples perceptions - should it no, does it yes.

It was absurd for people to have thought that and I never understood it, perhaps because I'm involved in recruiting and have been in the sports media business for a long time I get how goofy these things are.

C

Chief00

He probably would make a pretty good second option kinda like his freshman year w/DHam. I do have to say JA is "most definately" very friendly - easy to get a picture with, etc - likeable kid. Hopefully things pick up for him soon.

I agree, he is very likable when he isn’t driving you crazy basketball wise.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I'd love to have Dan Hurley reach out to Bazz to talk to CV (and Alterique for that matter) about how to be leader. Bazz struggled with that his soph year but eventually became good one. I think CV will consider next years team to be his team (which his fair given his scoring ability and his status as senior) and would be open to hearing how to lead them effectively.

Bazz did talk to CV this year or last year

Reaction Score
I dont think its a talent issue, I think it's his feel for the game. It seems like he's just out there playing and then when the game is almost over and he realizes were losing, he wakes up and tries to do to much. The players like Kemba and Bazz had the feel for the game, they never let it get too far out of reach before they asserted themselves. To me Jalen blends in too much. Too laid back. A couple of years ago Geno said to one of his players, I can't give you a heart, I can only draw you a picture of one.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom