A statue of Manuel and Herbst? Too soon?? | The Boneyard

A statue of Manuel and Herbst? Too soon??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Given the heroic leadership of Manuel and Herbst, and their efforts at making the UConn athletic department a rock of of strength while other programs are cursed with uncertainty and devaluation is it too soon to start thinking of appropriate ways in which to pay homage to them?

Maybe a statue out in front of Gampel? From the jc fundraising thread, it looks like these things take a fair bit of capital. Perhaps we can find a sponsor to help defray the costs? Maybe someone like the Corona beer company. Have a tie in to their product, maybe even replicate their cool commercial showing the couple lounging on the beach, keeping the hustle and problems of the world far far away.

Screen+shot+2011-09-09+at+8.13.12+PM.png

Reaction Score
in the words of JC...

although a statue of Herbst on her knees (begging), and WM double-fisting a boston creme and double-chocolate dipped would be fitting.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Ahhh, it wasn't long ago that this board was b!tching about Hathaway's incompetence. Thank god that's over.

Reaction Score
Given the heroic leadership of Manuel and Herbst, and their efforts at making the UConn athletic department a rock of of strength while other programs are cursed with uncertainty and devaluation is it too soon to start thinking of appropriate ways in which to pay homage to them?

Maybe a statue out in front of Gampel? From the jc fundraising thread, it looks like these things take a fair bit of capital. Perhaps we can find a sponsor to help defray the costs? Maybe someone like the Corona beer company. Have a tie in to their product, maybe even replicate their cool commercial showing the couple lounging on the beach, keeping the hustle and problems of the world far far away.

Screen+shot+2011-09-09+at+8.13.12+PM.png
Those Corona commercials were filmed at Paradise Island near Cozumel. Free Coronas for the cruise ship tour outing. Best outing they had.

Reaction Score
Sorry but Jeff Hathaway gets 90% of the blame for this mess.

Herbst gets the other 10% and it may grow if we find out she is all academia and no athletics. Too soon to tell.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Trying to post other pics if ACC or less, but constantly getting the message that the post is too long. What gives!? Never had so much trouble posting pictures before.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
If ACC:

images

Somewhere near the Johnathan statue at Gampel

Reaction Score
Sorry but Jeff Hathaway gets 90% of the blame for this mess.

Herbst gets the other 10% and it may grow if we find out she is all academia and no athletics. Too soon to tell.
I've long been of the opinion that despite her experience in Georgia, Susan Herbst isn't that interested or concerned about UConn athletics. I once characterized it an an "Ivy League" view, but I don't mean that literally as some people read it. I just don't think she cares that much. As long as the "Fellas and gals" have a place to blow off steam, she's good. She isn't adding lacrosse, she isn't beggin for admission to the Big 10 or even the ACC. She doesn't have some grand strategy to get us into the Big 12. If UConn ends up a mid-major with a great academic reputation, that's perfectly ok. A Tulane-North? That's fine too. Her mission is to build the academic side of the house and she doesn't really get the connection. As far as Manuel goes, I had high hopes for him. I have the feeling that he's a pretty competent guy. But I also think that he's just not going to be given the authority to make the kind of moves he would like to make, or do the things he wants to do. I've heard, for exasmple, that the decison to stay in Paradise during the Louisville/ACC debacle wasn't his. It was Herbst's. I don't expect he'll be around too much longer anyway. Look for him to become Associate Commissioner of the Big 10 or something fairly soon. I've heard he is tired of being overruled from on high then having to take the blame.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Reaction Score

Don't you have anything better to do?

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
As much as we might try to, I'm not sure Herbst and Manuel can be blamed for our situation. We've been fuxxored at every turn by schools that have made absolutely no effort to act collegial towards us. Every chance, schools that we should have had good relations with have not hesitated to either a) stab us in the back or b) step over our twitching body. It's been every school for itself and for multiple reasons we've always been left with the short stick. Perfect storm, call it what you want, I don't think there is anything that could have been done to prevent our current situation. I know this: I wouldn't look to any of these schools as ethical organizations. They are no different than the corporate pigs that roll around in the greed-mud.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
As much as we might try to, I'm not sure Herbst and Manuel can be blamed for our situation. We've been fuxxored at every turn by schools that have made absolutely no effort to act collegial towards us. Every chance, schools that we should have had good relations with have not hesitated to either a) stab us in the back or b) step over our twitching body. It's been every school for itself and for multiple reasons we've always been left with the short stick. Perfect storm, call it what you want, I don't think there is anything that could have been done to prevent our current situation. I know this: I wouldn't look to any of these schools as ethical organizations. They are no different than the corporate pigs that roll around in the greed-mud.

Exactly - so why is Warde out there pumping Cinci's stock?

Reaction Score
He didn't stay over in the Paradise Jam. He left Connecticut early.

I've long been of the opinion that despite her experience in Georgia, Susan Herbst isn't that interested or concerned about UConn athletics. I once characterized it an an "Ivy League" view, but I don't mean that literally as some people read it. I just don't think she cares that much. As long as the "Fellas and gals" have a place to blow off steam, she's good. She isn't adding lacrosse, she isn't beggin for admission to the Big 10 or even the ACC. She doesn't have some grand strategy to get us into the Big 12. If UConn ends up a mid-major with a great academic reputation, that's perfectly ok. A Tulane-North? That's fine too. Her mission is to build the academic side of the house and she doesn't really get the connection. As far as Manuel goes, I had high hopes for him. I have the feeling that he's a pretty competent guy. But I also think that he's just not going to be given the authority to make the kind of moves he would like to make, or do the things he wants to do. I've heard, for exasmple, that the decison to stay in Paradise during the Louisville/ACC debacle wasn't his. It was Herbst's. I don't expect he'll be around too much longer anyway. Look for him to become Associate Commissioner of the Big 10 or something fairly soon. I've heard he is tired of being overruled from on high then having to take the blame.

Reaction Score
Last time I checked leaders take the blame for failure of their organization. UConn is going to lose 100 million in revenue over the next five years. Conference realignment has been an unmitigated disaster for UConn. While we can only speculate as to how much of the blame is to be apportioned to Herbst and Manuel, I know one thing for sure, it isn't 0%. And that >0% figure is far and away enough to say Herbst and Manuel have sucked at expansion.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Wait..... Is the statue dead, or just sleeping? This will determine whether I give you a "like" for this post.
I was going for depressed but ...

C

Chief00

I agree Herbst is the one none of her peers like. Manuel got out worked by the Ville AD but he isn't disliked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom