A Star Is Born! First Badass Award . . . | Page 2 | The Boneyard

A Star Is Born! First Badass Award . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Wow, I've got a lot to look at in this game obviously. Anyone see a paste up of Geno's post game remarks? His 6 pm radio show on Tuesday should be fascinating.

What radio station is his show on?

Reaction Score
A poster commented over the summer that he didn't think Collier would start. Sometimes you read a post that just stays with you, for whatever reason. That one did to me. :confused:
I find it funny how many of us are surprised by the great play of Collier and Chong. That should not be a surprise (not to me anyway). The real surprise is how poorly Kia, KLS and Gabby performed. That is a surprise and I totally discount it. This was simply a poor game that even the best players in the game can have. Total coincidence that all three had it on the same night and I do not expect it to happen again. We are much better than what we showed tonight. Baylor will be another tough game, but if we manage to win that game, watch out.

Reaction Score
Not surprising... didn't Collier start a bunch of games last season?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Williams scored 7 points and had I believe 6 rebounds in limited minutes. If not for foul trouble she probably would have scored in double figures. I believe she will be fine. I wish she was allowed to play outside against the taller teams where she could be more effective. KLS and Irwin would have to handle the inside along with Butler.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Well, I'm sure that wasn't me because I watched every game when Phee, Lou, De'Janee, and Arike Ogunbowale, when they were still in high school, bring home the gold medal for the USA in the 3 on 3. Lou was nursing an ankle during that tournament and didn't start most games and then played limited minutes to be safe. Phee played a lot and scored a lot and defended a lot. I could see then she was going to be a GOOD one. I was so happy when she and Lou committed to UConn. :D
I've been in love with Napheesa ever since those heady days. What a remarkable human being.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I find it funny how many of us are surprised by the great play of Collier and Chong. That should not be a surprise (not to me anyway). The real surprise is how poorly Kia, KLS and Gabby performed. That is a surprise and I totally discount it. This was simply a poor game that even the best players in the game can have. Total coincidence that all three had it on the same night and I do not expect it to happen again. We are much better than what we showed tonight. Baylor will be another tough game, but if we manage to win that game, watch out.
At least Gabby looked great on those longer shots. Someday, maybe this year, she's going to light it up big time.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Williams scored 7 points and had I believe 6 rebounds in limited minutes. If not for foul trouble she probably would have scored in double figures. I believe she will be fine. I wish she was allowed to play outside against the taller teams where she could be more effective. KLS and Irwin would have to handle the inside along with Butler.

I missed the early part of the 1st half - were Gabby's fouls called underneath, banging for rebounds etc? Or did she get them on the perimeter?

Just wondered

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I missed the early part of the 1st half - were Gabby's fouls called underneath, banging for rebounds etc? Or did she get them on the perimeter?

Just wondered
Both inside and outside, and not being in the proper guarding position. There were times when she had trouble jumping for rebounds because of so many players cluttered under the basket.

Reaction Score
No surprise by Gabby, she won't be effective until she gets her fouling under control.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Your last sentence is really the key. Considering it is so early in the season, I think the Baylor game is HUGE! Even if Baylor wins, we will be able to see how competitive this team really is.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
No surprise by Gabby, she won't be effective until she gets her fouling under control.

I believe that two of her first-half fouls were offensive-- charging.

Reaction Score
As I have said in the past Collier is a basketball player, Gabby is an athlete. The difference showed last night. The big three are gone and what you saw last night was Collier's BBall skills shine through and also the limits of Gabby's athleticism were exposed. Both of these young ladies will grow on the court and both their games will continue to improve faster now that they no longer have the big three to fall back on, now they will become the big stars, especially Collier.
The REAL Saniya Chong emerged in the fourth quarter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

Just wondered

Gabby's fouls (3 in 5 minutes!) were because she exercised bad judgment. Remember what Mark Twain said about that:

"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience consists of bad judgment."

Chalk up the FSU game as Gabby acquiring good judgment. ;)

Reaction Score
Yes, Collier started a lot of games last season until Lou took her spot. What UConn needed last year was someone to help open up the floor, so that Breanna could do her thing and move all over the court. With a three point threat like Lou, other teams couldn't drop off her and pack the paint. Without question Napheesa was the MVP last night. Congratulations, Napheesa with an assist to Saniya. Natalie will have to play important minutes against Baylor. Florida St. is small compared to the Bears.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Nice post, but I think the highlighted words are wrong - I think it was to be expected, maybe not those three specifically, but that this team would have players struggle at the start of the season - it is an 'all change' year, and it will take time for the players to find their roles and the right balance.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Just think about, no Kyla, minimum Gabby and Kia, UConn does play good game.
Crytal will be a star ...

Not to take anything away from MoJeff, but I saw her second UConn game in person vs Texas A&M, and IMHO, Crystal is ahead of where Mo was at the same point in their respective college careers. I predict Crystal will be a fabulous player when she gets some experience behind her.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Not to take anything away from MoJeff, but I saw her second UConn game in person vs Texas A&M, and IMHO, Crystal is ahead of where Mo was at the same point in their respective college careers. I predict Crystal will be a fabulous player when she gets some experience behind her.
I think Moriah playing mostly in the Thesa league came into college less ready than Crystal, no question.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Phee block.jpg
I searched around for a picture of Napheesa's game saving block of Thomas. This picture is the best I can come up with. this will go down as one of the most memorable swats in UCONN history .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom