A Silver Lining? | The Boneyard

A Silver Lining?

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Like every BYer I find the latest news devastating. I mainly feel bad for the athletes, but in the case of Fudd and Bueckers I also lament watching the beauty of basketball as executed by these extremely talented women. I also lament not seeing what Brady could do, as my impression of her was that of a better conditioned Dolson entering as freshmen.

(As an aside, the senior Maya Moore stated that Dolson was the real MVP in the Big East tournament, as a freshmen! That’s how skilled and advanced she was as a post player coming in, with mainly her conditioning holding her back.)

Yet in watching the beauty of basketball as executed by Fudd and Bueckers it is easy to overlook the fact that basketball is a team sport. Indeed, sometimes I suspected Buecker’s own teammates forgot that a little bit as they relied upon her superb offensive and defensive efficiencies.

The silver lining is this: we are witnessing the value of players not named Bueckers and Fudd. More importantly, they are discovering their own value to the success of a team. I still think they can win it all this year, with enough freaking stability in the line up ahead of time. After all, they really have every role needed on a championship team covered with AA like abilities, similar to the shorthanded 2018 ND squad. But even if they don’t they have demonstrated their own kind of admirable success and resiliency.

Then next year, should fans be fortunate enough to watch the beauty of basketball presented by Bueckers and Fudd, we will be constantly mindful of how critical all the other components are, as will the teammates themselves.

Reaction Score
I've tried to maintain a positive attitude but the injuries are just debillitating. We are expecting too much from these kids at this point. Losing Paige and Azzi has been devastating but throw in Caroline, Dorka, Ice and so many others for so long and it's just flat out depressing. Even Geno appears to be affected by it along with his tragic personal loss. They lost me at Caroline. I thought we still had a chance with Azzi and Caroline and maybe a remote chance even if Azzi were lost but Caroline has been hurt all year and it may even be more than a year IMO. My heart goes out to these kids. I can't take it any more. Got to shut down my hopes. Anything we achieve at this point is gravy as far as I'm concerned. Even making it to the FF is probably unlikely. It's just too much to ask for with the remaining members of the team. Not to disparage their talent. They literally are down to 5 seasoned players at this point folks. I'm not going to be disapointed if they lose. I expect it at some point. Even against TN and SC coming up.

Reaction Score
Imagine if we had a healthy Paige and Azzi all last year and this year? Nobody would be able to touch this team. Not even close.

Really unfortunate.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I've tried to maintain a positive attitude but the injuries are just debillitating. We are expecting too much from these kids at this point. Losing Paige and Azzi has been devastating but throw in Caroline, Dorka, Ice and so many others for so long and it's just flat out depressing. Even Geno appears to be affected by it along with his tragic personal loss. They lost me at Caroline. I thought we still had a chance with Azzi and Caroline and maybe a remote chance even if Azzi were lost but Caroline has been hurt all year and it may even be more than a year IMO. My heart goes out to these kids. I can't take it any more. Got to shut down my hopes. Anything we achieve at this point is gravy as far as I'm concerned. Even making it to the FF is probably unlikely. It's just too much to ask for with the remaining members of the team. Not to disparage their talent. They literally are down to 5 seasoned players at this point folks. I'm not going to be disapointed if they lose. I expect it at some point. Even against TN and SC coming up.
Notre Dame was able to handle an injury plagued season in 2018 (four ACLs, including to their biggest star, Turner) with similar talent.

Our talent:
PG = AA level playmaker and defender
SG = AA level and seldom seen 50/40/90 scorer.
W = AA level athleticism, defender and transitional player
PF = AA Edwards superbly filling this prototypical role
C = AA level combination of rebounds, points and assists.

Why do you think the psyche and resilience of players for UConn to be less than those for Notre Dame?

Reaction Score
just highlighting your point “but Caroline has been hurt all year and it may even be more than a year IMO.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame was able to handle an injury plagued season in 2018 (four ACLs, including to their biggest star, Turner) with similar talent.

Our talent:

Why do you think the psyche and resilience of players for UConn to be less than those for Notre Dame?
Because none of them are named Bueckers or Fudd?
I am half kidding, (and busting some posters chops) but for some it is more about lamenting who is not playing.
The fact is if Bueckers and Fudd were available;
Muhl would be a part time player with no real role as she was in last years NCAAs;
Edwards very well may not have evolved as she has into a dominant player;
Griffin may not, as Auriemma alluded to yesterday, been comfortable playing through mistakes but rather playing looking over one shoulder;
Senechal’s role would also be much different.
All I am really saying is the team would be dramatically different than the one now playing and any attempt at comparing what is with what might have been is 100% speculation. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I just hope the coaching staff mainly Geno are really critically looking inward with these injuries.... They have 15 scholarships so they ought to use them. Two of our biggest competitors are carrying 14 and 15 players......

Reaction Score
Guess the consensus is that, though we are all bummed out about the injuries, and our hearts go out to all the young ladies on the bench and the court, they ( and we) are learning some valuable lessons about the game, themselves, and each other,
And having opportunities amidst all the adversity to excel and develop their skills.
I now watch every game in rabid anticipation to see who will shine.
I bet that even the grizzled, grumpy old codger of a head coach is learning a few things about his team.

Reaction Score
If we play the following games like we playing in Seton Hall, if Amari plays like she played in Senton Hall too, we are still a top team. We can go to Final Four and possible NC. Just hope.

Reaction Score
I just hope the coaching staff mainly Geno are really critically looking inward with these injuries.... They have 15 scholarships so they ought to use them. Two of our biggest competitors are carrying 14 and 15 players......
I'm glad Geno never follows the path you are suggesting/implying if it is "too many minutes." Other than arguably Paige (which I don't believe but okay if others think so) none of the other injuries have anything to do with "too many minutes."

Going forward, our best players will still have to play of lot of minutes until Azzi and Caroline come back and play consisitently.

Reaction Score

Our talent:

I agree with your “silver lining” which is why UCONN’s style / Geno’s style is fortunate in this manner. ND had "balance." Most successful teams need "balance" or they need to be extremely super in 1 area. ND had inside-out and outside-in "balance" when they won it all. Our pg. doesn't shoot enough outside shots and our wing doesn't hit enough outside shots. You highlighted their (Nika and Griff) strengths but not their fundamental weakness which I don’t believe that ND had to this extent.

Dorka is a wildcard from 3 (is more of a high-low player), and Edwards can hit outside shots from 2. However, IMO she is more effective closer to the hoop especially when she makes quick moves- (ie the lane is open in which she can use her quickness. The lane won't be open if there is only 1 outside scorer.).

UCONN needs Azzi and Caroline back. Or Dorka will have to be an absolute beast (with Edwards) and/or Nika and Griff need to score a bit double digits - (not just "6-7 points)"in which several come from the outside. If you are an opponent and a very good team with good size - all you need is to put a major focus on 1 perimeter player and the others pack the paint daring UCONN to beat them from the perimeter. And then in a tight game if Lou isn't playing 40 minutes, then what are you getting from the perimeter- especially from 3?

Nika and Griff got to be able to hit outside shots if no / or limited Azzi and Caroline (need "balance"). This is in part why Geno has played Nika and Griff as many minutes as he has done. You give these players these minutes in hopes they can progress as a season goes on to fill gaps the team currently has. This is our “silver lining;” players like Nika, Griff (and Dorka to a degree) to do “more.” And they will "get minutes" to see if they could do "more" for the team.

Reaction Score
The only silver lining I see is that we still have 7 playable players. These 7 players have exceeded what I thought they could do ,but not my expectations of what I thought they could do.They have molded themselves into a top functioning unit of exceptional basketball and I have the highest praise for them. I believe they can continue this exceptional basketball til the end of the season and when they win it all, BOY, did they have to work for it!!! GO HUSKIES!!!!

Reaction Score
I'm glad Geno never follows the path you are suggesting/implying if it is "too many minutes." Other than arguably Paige (which I don't believe but okay if others think so) none of the other injuries have anything to do with "too many minutes."

Going forward, our best players will still have to play of lot of minutes until Azzi and Caroline come back and play consisitently.
Not implying what you took. They have 5 players on the bench right not leaving 7. If they were carrying 15, they would have 10 available options. It's not french cooking as Geno said today....

Reaction Score
You wrote this today?
Devastated? Debilitated? Blah, blah blah
The team is 17-2.
Today was fun! Trail Butler 13-4 in the 1st Q and end up with a 40 point win.
It showed so much. First of all, one can see how hard all of this is. They were slightly flat. Offense a bit stagnant. Against an inspired group with a good, young coach. It is such a fine line!
They were able to connect and play a really solid 3 quarters.
Beauty of PB and Azzi. Duh! Give it a rest and do what I did this morning (8am AK time) , watch our beloved Huskies play so close to their potential.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
You wrote this today?
Devastated? Debilitated? Blah, blah blah
The team is 17-2.
Today was fun! Trail Butler 13-4 in the 1st Q and end up with a 40 point win.
It showed so much. First of all, one can see how hard all of this is. They were slightly flat. Offense a bit stagnant. Against an inspired group with a good, young coach. It is such a fine line!
They were able to connect and play a really solid 3 quarters.
Beauty of PB and Azzi. Duh! Give it a rest and do what I did this morning (8am AK time) , watch our beloved Huskies play so close to their potential.
? Was this addressing my post? I am devastated for how Fudd must feel, which is more important than our record. It’s called empathy.

Reaction Score
Let’s see if all those players are there next year!

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
I agree with your “silver lining” which is why UCONN’s style / Geno’s style is fortunate in this manner. ND had "balance." Most successful teams need "balance" or they need to be extremely super in 1 area. ND had inside-out and outside-in "balance" when they won it all. Our pg. doesn't shoot enough outside shots and our wing doesn't hit enough outside shots. You highlighted their (Nika and Griff) strengths but not their fundamental weakness which I don’t believe that ND had to this extent.

Dorka is a wildcard from 3 (is more of a high-low player), and Edwards can hit outside shots from 2. However, IMO she is more effective closer to the hoop especially when she makes quick moves- (ie the lane is open in which she can use her quickness. The lane won't be open if there is only 1 outside scorer.).

UCONN needs Azzi and Caroline back. Or Dorka will have to be an absolute beast (with Edwards) and/or Nika and Griff need to score a bit double digits - (not just "6-7 points)"in which several come from the outside. If you are an opponent and a very good team with good size - all you need is to put a major focus on 1 perimeter player and the others pack the paint daring UCONN to beat them from the perimeter. And then in a tight game if Lou isn't playing 40 minutes, then what are you getting from the perimeter- especially from 3?

Nika and Griff got to be able to hit outside shots if no / or limited Azzi and Caroline (need "balance"). This is in part why Geno has played Nika and Griff as many minutes as he has done. You give these players these minutes in hopes they can progress as a season goes on to fill gaps the team currently has. This is our “silver lining;” players like Nika, Griff (and Dorka to a degree) to do “more.” And they will "get minutes" to see if they could do "more" for the team.
The 2002 team, alleged by some to be the best ever, went 0-9 from beyond the arc in the championship game.

Muhl went 4-5 from three in one game, 2-3 in another. Personally, I look to see at what kind of decisions she is making. Granted, there were a couple games when I thought her decision not to shoot was errant. For most games I felt her decision making was sound in judging when to shoot or not to. As long as she is making the right decisions, including when to shoot, we have the talent to play with enough offensive coordination to exploit what the defense gives or takes away.

But my silver lining point was more about the growth of the players and the team, not about whether winning a championship, which to me is a secondary concern to personal growth and beautiful basketball.

Reaction Score
The 2002 team, alleged by some to be the best ever, went 0-9 from beyond the arc in the championship game.

Muhl went 4-5 from three in one game, 2-3 in another. Personally, I look to see at what kind of decisions she is making. Granted, there were a couple games when I thought her decision not to shoot was errant. For most games I felt her decision making was sound in judging when to shoot or not to. As long as she is making the right decisions, including when to shoot, we have the talent to play with enough offensive coordination to exploit what the defense gives or takes away.

But my silver lining point was more about the growth of the players and the team, not about whether winning a championship, which to me is a secondary concern to personal growth and beautiful basketball.
Okay- I was looking at Silver Lining as "both." Yes I know that unusual game UCONN was 0-9 from3, but also Oklahoma was small. One of their guards was playing our center in the post. UCONN had balance that season inside-out outside-in. And as far as Nika's shooting, as you point out she can shoot. SO imo she should work on taking more. I believe in time she will get better with not throwing the ball away but she needs to want to shoot more. If she doesn't "want that" it will never happen. Minutes can help her "want more." That’s part of her decision making process. Not be so content to just be a passer.

And imo their ability to shoot the ball will be a direct correlation with growth of the team and growth of their own as a player. They can become WNBA players. Wouldn’t that be amazing? And think how exciting the UCONN Offense would be if that lane was consistently open. All five of our current players can put the ball on the deck. Every player would be a Triple Threat.

The possibilities are extremely exciting.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
? Was this addressing my post? I am devastated for how Fudd must feel, which is more important than our record. It’s called empathy.
Oh, come on, how about Ducharme? No empathy there? She may, emphasize MAY, be facing something that could follow her the rest of her life. But I guess the beauty of her basketball just doesn’t match up.
Maybe I’m wrong but to me the post was somewhat condescending to the rest of the team; it struck me as just another post to present Uconn as a two lady team while throwing a bone that gee, guess what, there are other players needed to make it a 5 person team and aren’t they lucky those two got hurt so they can discover they have value and are pretty good players too. I guess you didn’t follow the team when many of these players played good ball while Bueckers and Fudd were hurt and out for a good portion of last year.
I certainly feel for Fudd, for Ducharme, for Bueckers, for Brady, for any person that gets something they love taken away through no fault of theirs. But injuries are part of sport and I feel the same about the last person on the bench losing a season as I do for the aforementioned because you know what? That player loves the game and misses it just as much as Azzi Fudd and Paige Bueckers, maybe in a way more because the accolades and monetary rewards, especially in the brave new world of NIL, given to players as good as Fudd and Bueckers will never be given to a bench warming mop up player; she is there pretty much exclusively for the love of the game, the camaraderie of team. Now don’t get me wrong, I am sure Fudd and Bueckers enjoy the heck out of and also contribute as much as anyone to that part of the game, the Uconn family atmosphere, but IMO empathy and devastation are not something that should be reserved for the most talented exclusively.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Oh, come on, how about Ducharme? No empathy there? She may, emphasize MAY, be facing something that could follow her the rest of her life. But I guess the beauty of her basketball just doesn’t match up.
Maybe I’m wrong but to me the post was somewhat condescending to the rest of the team; it struck me as just another post to present Uconn as a two lady team while throwing a bone that gee, guess what, there are other players needed to make it a 5 person team and aren’t they lucky those two got hurt so they can discover they have value and are pretty good players too. I guess you didn’t follow the team when many of these players played good ball while Bueckers and Fudd were hurt and out for a good portion of last year.
I certainly feel for Fudd, for Ducharme, for Bueckers, for Brady, for any person that gets something they love taken away through no fault of theirs. But injuries are part of sport and I feel the same about the last person on the bench losing a season as I do for the aforementioned because you know what? That player loves the game and misses it just as much as Azzi Fudd and Paige Bueckers, maybe in a way more because the accolades and monetary rewards, especially in the brave new world of NIL, given to players as good as Fudd and Bueckers will never be given to a bench warming mop up player; she is there pretty much exclusively for the love of the game, the camaraderie of team. Now don’t get me wrong, I am sure Fudd and Bueckers enjoy the heck out of and also contribute as much as anyone to that part of the game, the Uconn family atmosphere, but IMO empathy and devastation are not something that should be reserved for the most talented exclusively.
I have empathy for all the players. Not just in regards to the ones that were injured, but the ones who are not and have to witness the injury of their teammates. I imagine they feel terrible for their fallen comrades. I singled out Fudd in subsequent posts because she is the most recent casualty, but the OP referred to Bueckers and Fudd in the context that they have been singled out as saviors, and this season should prove just how valuable everyone on the team is and the SILVER LINING, once again, is that now they may all be recognized as such. Read it again.

In other words, the OP made the exact point as your scathing reply. I promise I was not the one to kick your dog this morning.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Okay- I was looking at Silver Lining as "both." Yes I know that unusual game UCONN was 0-9 from3, but also Oklahoma was small. One of their guards was playing our center in the post. UCONN had balance that season inside-out outside-in. And as far as Nika's shooting, as you point out she can shoot. SO imo she should work on taking more. I believe in time she will get better with not throwing the ball away but she needs to want to shoot more. If she doesn't "want that" it will never happen. Minutes can help her "want more." That’s part of her decision making process. Not be so content to just be a passer.

And imo their ability to shoot the ball will be a direct correlation with growth of the team and growth of their own as a player. They can become WNBA players. Wouldn’t that be amazing? And think how exciting the UCONN Offense would be if that lane was consistently open. All five of our current players can put the ball on the deck. Every player would be a Triple Threat.

The possibilities are extremely exciting.
Once again, the OP was not so much about what a great team we had, but without Fudd and Bueckers we have seen the value of all the players. That to me is exciting, that they are recognized as they deserve to be.

Few teams aren’t without weaknesses to exploit, even championship ones. The 2002 team showed a weakness but still one. The team that only scored 12 points in the first half against Stanford with two future Olympians certainly showed a weakness, but they still won.

On the other hand, one of the most clutch shooters in the history of basketball, playing aside three future Olympians, plus the all time FG% leader at UConn, went 1-15 and we did not make it to the championship game. Fudd could come back and do the same thing. There are no guarantees.

It would be nice to have a roster of 15 every year of high school AAs, every single one content with the minutes they get in the formation of perfect chemistry, with none having an off night in their roles. Reality never follows that script and we cheer on, even take delight, in the hand we are dealt.

Reaction Score
The real Silver Lining is about to arrive from Egypt into Uconn very soon. Add Shade, Arnold and Samuels and we are about to go on a new kind of ride. Nattie is in the future.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom