A Serious Post---Would "ProStyle" work in College Football | The Boneyard

A Serious Post---Would "ProStyle" work in College Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm wondering if the ProStyle format is even plausable.

Question #1: What exactly is considered ProStyle?
Question #2: Are there any relavent college teams out there that use this format?

Is it pointless to have a coach that wants this or will it actually work well once he gets his players and coaches them up?

What do you figure?

Thanks
- CodyJ. the Terrible

Reaction Score
I think the top reason to go with a pro style offense is that it might help you recruit QB's, who can say they've played in a pro style offense.

The reality, though, is that even in the NFL, teams are starting to move more and more to gimmick offenses like the spread. The trick is, GASP, they aren't gimmicks as much as they are innovative.

pj

Reaction Score
I wonder if it's become just a name for a style in which the QB is discouraged from running and taught to stand in the pocket as long as possible. Ie, a minimize injury risk to the QB style that favors passing and vision over mobility.

Reaction Score
To answer question 2. Most of big ten. Minus Ohio n mich and Nebraska. Stanford uses it.

Reaction Score
I'm wondering if the ProStyle format is even plausable.

Question #1: What exactly is considered ProStyle?
Question #2: Are there any relavent college teams out there that use this format?

Is it pointless to have a coach that wants this or will it actually work well once he gets his players and coaches them up?

What do you figure?

Thanks
- CodyJ. the Terrible

Yes. But you need the right players.

College style offense works great in college because you are more likely to have athletic mismatches.

Reaction Score
We ran a pro style offense when we had Orlovsky. QB stays in pocket, balance between run and pass. What you can't do is ask college players to make the myriad of adjustments on the line that pro players do because they don't have the same amount of practice and study time.

Reaction Score
The wise thing to do is to use a system that fits your team's talent. Form should always be abandoned for substance.

Pro style should include some freedom for audibles at the line because that is what the pros do.

If a system produces results that cause you to be ranked in triple digits in many offensive categories, it might be time to try something else. The big failing of these coaches is that they are too rigid with seemingly no ability to adjust during the season or during the game. Sacrificing several seasons so you can install your system should not be acceptable to the fans, Warde Manuel or Susan Herbst.

P and D had their own players their last three years at Syracuse (when they were 10 years younger) and they went 4-8, 6-6 and 6-6. Is that what we can look forward to when P gets his players?

Our offensive coordinator has stated that the best way for this team to win is with Defense. If that doesn't scream get a new offensive coordinator I don't know what does.

Reaction Score
It only makes sense to run a spread offense with a mobile qb in college, the formations are confusing and the qb must be accounted for. Why wouldn't you want to use the large field to your advantage? Most college run multiple formations that can include both the spread, pro set or even i-formations based upon what the defense is showing. No one uses a pro set as their base offense.

Reaction Score
We ran a pro style offense when we had Orlovsky. QB stays in pocket, balance between run and pass. What you can't do is ask college players to make the myriad of adjustments on the line that pro players do because they don't have the same amount of practice and study time.

I believe this, coupled with DeLeone being a poor teacher of the zone blocking scheme, is what has turned our OL into a complete disaster. Losing Ryan and Petrus hurt, but I don't for a second believe that our kids on the OL do not have the talent to outperform their performance to date.

Reaction Score
I believe this, coupled with DeLeone being a poor teacher of the zone blocking scheme, is what has turned our OL into a complete disaster. Losing Ryan and Petrus hurt, but I don't for a second believe that our kids on the OL do not have the talent to outperform their performance to date.

How do you know GDL is a poor teacher? Zone blocking is complex and requires a certain skill set. It could be that we don't yet have the personnel. The RB must also allow the zone blocking to develop, you guys make it sound like this coaching stuff is easy. My complaints about coach P and GDL is that maybe we shouldn't be running this type of offense in the first place, leave it for the pros in the NFL. Give me a multiple offense and move on.

Reaction Score
How do you know GDL is a poor teacher? Zone blocking is complex and requires a certain skill set. It could be that we don't yet have the personnel. The RB must also allow the zone blocking to develop, you guys make it sound like this coaching stuff is easy. My complaints about coach P and GDL is that maybe we shouldn't be running this type of offense in the first place, leave it for the pros in the NFL. Give me a multiple offense and move on.

The results speak for themselves. Teachers also select subject matter. If you try teach Calculus to third graders then you are a .

Reaction Score

Well let's put aside that I may or may not have heard this. Look at the results the last 2 years. Same OC, same scheme, same RB. Only difference is that DeLeone is now coaching the OL instead of Foley (yes, losing Ryan & Petrus is significant as well). May not be enough evidence for a court of law, but it's more than good enough on an internet message board.

Reaction Score
Because the pro-set offensive concepts aren't working on the field for us currently, doesn't mean that they don't work for programs in college.

NFL organizations prefer players coming out of college offenses that run pro concepts, and scouts are looking at those programs closer than others for players that can make an impact.

That's a good thing for recruiting.

Reaction Score
Because the pro-set offensive concepts aren't working on the field for us currently, doesn't mean that they don't work for programs in college.

NFL organizations prefer players coming out of college offenses that run pro concepts, and scouts are looking at those programs closer than others for players that can make an impact.

It's a good thing for recruiting if you are a big SEC school, Michigan, USC etc...

There have been a ton of great college teams that have won NCs by running the same 12-15 plays all season. If we're talking Air Raid offenses or teams where Vince Young is the QB then it may be more like 10 plays.

Reaction Score

Carl, if what you just posted was true then it would be backed up by the NFL draft, scout don't care what system you are in, just look at the combine where a guy will get drafted in the first round because he runs a 4.4 and benches 225lb 36 times. Most SEC teams run some type of spread and most of them will have a better chance of getting drafted just because they are in the SEC.

pj

Reaction Score
Running pro concepts does help players get drafted -- Bill Belichek has emphasized this in his drafting, he wants players who have proven they can perform in a system similar to New England's -- but winning helps them get drafted too. Being successful on the field is the most important factor in getting drafted.

I would love to say that GDL's system is helping recruiting, but until it performs on the field, it isn't.

Reaction Score
No one uses a pro set as their base offense.

Just a clarification prostyle and pro set are not the same thing. Pro set is a type of formation with split backs, prostyle is a type of offense. I agree that I am not sure that running prostyle helps all that much with recruiting. For the most part recruits are going to choose the offense that will best allow them to show off their skill set. It makes sense andrew luck would pick a prostyle while tim tebow would pick a spread offense.

The only reason for the argument of it would be better for the draft stock of our players is if that in turn helps with recruiting. Seriously duck systems just win games PP.

Reaction Score

so are you saying I should save my $40.00 and not buy his DVD

827008774890.jpg

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score

This. Stanford, Alabama, Florida State, USC, LSU all run pro style offenses (althought it is hard to say LSU's offense resembles anything "pro")

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
so are you saying I should save my $40.00 and not buy his DVD

827008774890.jpg
Considering what I have heard, my only guess is that DeLeone wants to increase circulation by forcing our offensive linemen to buy his videos. Perhaps he can use the royalties.

Reaction Score
Just a clarification prostyle and pro set are not the same thing. Pro set is a type of formation with split backs, prostyle is a type of offense. I agree that I am not sure that running prostyle helps all that much with recruiting. For the most part recruits are going to choose the offense that will best allow them to show off their skill set. It makes sense andrew luck would pick a prostyle while tim tebow would pick a spread offense.

The only reason for the argument of it would be better for the draft stock of our players is if that in turn helps with recruiting. Seriously duck systems just win games PP.

You are correct Husky 10, meant to write pro style, not pro set as you pointed out.

Reaction Score

That is key! There are, I think, 140 starting OLinemen in the NFL; arguably the best in the world/country. I really don't think a coach can parachute into a Program and expect less talented kids to perform like the professionals he just coached.

Also, anyone that has watched high school football lately has seen a huge move to spread-type offenses. I haven't seen a game, lately, that had a QB "under center." Most of the good HS QB's come to college "spread-ready" (don't anyone dare).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom