A running back rotation? | The Boneyard

A running back rotation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Why don't we have one? We saw three guys get carries for L'vile. Almost all our opponents have multiple RBs,

I heard the TV announcers say, a couple of games ago, that Pasqualoni wants a RB that can carry the ball 40 times in a game. Did anyone else hear that?

Yes, LM has had a nice year. But most coaches spread the carries around a bit. Even when we had Brown running 300 times, we sprinkled in Todman. Just curious if there are any thoughts about our lack of a rotation.

Reaction Score
I agree we should have one, but from what I've heard McCombs is it because the other guys aren't good, hurt, or can't hold onto the ball in practice.

Reaction Score
I heard the TV announcers say, a couple of games ago, that Pasqualoni wants a RB that can carry the ball 40 times in a game. Did anyone else hear that?

I did hear that and thought it was odd.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
It does seem odd that Foxx burns his red shirt and then only plays on specials. If McCombs goes down with an injury, it doesn't feel like Foxx or JJL will be prepared.

Reaction Score
WE NEED ANOTHER RB... plain and simple... if we don't have another RB something's wrong... AGAIN I go back to who we have COACHING the RB position now.... Clayton White is NOT a RB coach... I do give a crap what HCPP is saying to us thru the media... It wouldn't surprise me that that is what may be scarring RB recruits away... We missed coach T Rich this season.. big time... Not taking anything away from L McCombs... Kid is nice, but we need help at the position.. CLEARLY... Until we get a real RB coach in place other schools that are recruiting against us will knock us to recruits about not having a RB coach in place which could inevitably stunt their development playing that position... We gotta fix this situation ASAP...

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Yeah, didn't know we even had any other competent backs. This is a big need for recruiting, IMO, and why the potential loss of Dobbs would be huge.

Reaction Score
Why would DJ Shoemate want to bother to come back next year? Why haven't we seen Hyppolite get a few carries?

Reaction Score
What constitutes a rotation? Another back who gets 10 carries? 5?

I see nothing wrong with having 1 bell cow. You play your best players. It doesn't bother me that there hasn't been a rotation because McCombs has had a very good season (good enough to be a 1st team all Big East selection).

What concerns me is the lack of depth behind McCombs. JJL seems like a faster version of DJ Shoemate, which means he just runs straight into a defender faster. Hypolite's year appears to be washed out by injury.

Lots of questions next year. Can Foxx assume the role of backup? Is Dilorenzo ready to get carries? Can Hyppolite emerge?

Reaction Score
I think coming into this year Shoemate was the #2, but when he went down the other backs weren't prepared to step in. In all liklihood they jsut weren't good enough.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Why would DJ Shoemate want to bother to come back next year? Why haven't we seen Hyppolite get a few carries?
Because he likes to play football? Because he wants a degree? Or maybe grad school?

He's a very good special teams player... where else is he going to go? DII? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Nostical. Speaking of McCummings. I would love to see Mac stay in the game, when McCummings comes in. That way, they could shift to the wildcat. Or just leave Mac at QB and keep McCumming in the backfield or split him out. It's a wrinkle that might cause a little confusion because the possibility of a passing play would still be an option.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Nostical. Speaking of McCummings. I would love to see Mac stay in the game, when McCummings comes in. That way, they could shift to the wildcat. Or just leave Mac at QB and keep McCumming in the backfield or split him out. It's a wrinkle that might cause a little confusion because the possibility of a passing play would still be an option.
I like this. It's not like he's throwing the ball a heck of a lot now... I wonder if he can catch?

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Why don't we have one? We saw three guys get carries for L'vile. Almost all our opponents have multiple RBs,

Yes, LM has had a nice year. But most coaches spread the carries around a bit. Even when we had Brown running 300 times, we sprinkled in Todman. Just curious if there are any thoughts about our lack of a rotation.

LM has done a good job from my perspective, but If having a rb rotation will help our WR's catch the ball, I'm all for it.

Reaction Score
IMIND, No doubt DJ would help our coverage teams but I don't think he wants to come back and go through all the work involved for that. JJL has not seen the ball very often and if DJ was healthy I don't see him getting carries either. JJL would give McCoombs a break and hit the defense in a different way like the Todman/Dixon duo but the coach's are going with one guy and that's that. I don't know if DJ stands to graduate this year or he needs one more which if you can get it paid for, good for him. It's tough for seniors to watch from the sidelines though.

Reaction Score
I think it is hard fro a kid like DJ, who was one of the best in the nation in high school, to walk away from the sport. He still has a dream. I'm betting he will use every second of his eligibility.

Reaction Score

Think he was in at wr a couple of times when McC was in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger