A reminder - UConn history | The Boneyard

A reminder - UConn history

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
OK, well, yes, UConn lost. It's happened before. In fact, it's happened 47 times in the last 20 seasons. It there a trend here? Here's a look at what happened since the 1998-99 season. (The Total Points column is the combined total of points that UConn lost by)

upload_2018-4-2_20-36-5.png

There's a trend here. After Tamika, Asjha, Swin, and Sue (TASS) left, the team had some losses, however, with All-World Diana still on the roster, the team managed to win. But then came the Dark Years, and the Huskies endured 19 losses in 4 season. But, lo, Maya, Tina, and Renee got the wheels spinning and - yes! - consecutive championships. All-World Maya graduates and there is another Dark Year, with 5 losses. But then yet another All-World player arrives, Breanna, and UConn wins 4 consecutive years. But Breanna, along with Moriah and Morgan, had the nerve to graduate, leaving UConn bereft of All-World players.

Now, can UConn win without an All-World player? Certainly. The team won 72 games in two seasons without one but it certainly is a lot harder. That's why this wailing and gnashing of teeth is kinda unrealistic. The talent has evened out without an All-Worlder and there's parity among the top teams now. ND beats UConn, Louisville beats ND, UConn beats Louisville, etc etc. I think that unless there's another All-Worlder in the wings, we should prepare ourselves for more battles, and they won't all be victories.

But, I gotta say, I'm pretty darned impressed with Christyn (no pressure, kiddo!) ;)

Reaction Score
OK, well, yes, UConn lost. It's happened before. In fact, it's happened 47 times in the last 20 seasons. It there a trend here? Here's a look at what happened since the 1998-99 season. (The Total Points column is the combined total of points that UConn lost by)

View attachment 30361

There's a trend here. After Tamika, Asjha, Swin, and Sue (TASS) left, the team had some losses, however, with All-World Diana still on the roster, the team managed to win. But then came the Dark Years, and the Huskies endured 19 losses in 4 season. But, lo, Maya, Tina, and Renee got the wheels spinning and - yes! - consecutive championships. All-World Maya graduates and there is another Dark Year, with 5 losses. But then yet another All-World player arrives, Breanna, and UConn wins 4 consecutive years. But Breanna, along with Moriah and Morgan, had the nerve to graduate, leaving UConn bereft of All-World players.

Now, can UConn win without an All-World player? Certainly. The team won 72 games in two seasons without one but it certainly is a lot harder. That's why this wailing and gnashing of teeth is kinda unrealistic. The talent has evened out without an All-Worlder and there's parity among the top teams now. ND beats UConn, Louisville beats ND, UConn beats Louisville, etc etc. I think that unless there's another All-Worlder in the wings, we should prepare ourselves for more battles, and they won't all be victories.

But, I gotta say, I'm pretty darned impressed with Christyn (no pressure, kiddo!) ;)

Didn't we win two NC's while Tina and Maya were at Connecticut? I think Tina won NC's her junior and senior years. So that would make her a junior in 2008-2009. So in 2007-2008 Tina would have been a sophomore, not a junior. I think I've got that right...

The point is that the past twelve years from the year that Tina Charles arrived, we've experienced the Golden Age of Connecticut Basketball. Tina arrives, then Maya arrives the year later. Stephanie Dolson becomes an elite center. Breanna arrives. Then the surprisingly amazing group of KLS, Gabby, Kia, Napheesa, plus Chong and Crystal. This has been the best stretch of basketball in Coach Geno's entire tenure.

It won't be the same next year.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
By the way, UConn's losing to ND isn't a recent phenomenon. The two coaches, Geno and Muffet, are pretty evenly matched although Muffet had an advantage with All-American (not quite All-World but still pretty darn good) Skylar Diggins for a while there.

The 47 losses were to these 17 teams.

upload_2018-4-2_20-58-57.png

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
By the way, UConn's losing to ND isn't a recent phenomenon. The two coaches, Geno and Muffet, are pretty evenly matched although Muffet had an advantage with All-American (not quite All-World but still pretty darn good) Skylar Diggins for a while there.

After our loss on Saturday I read a scattering of posts sharing the notion that Muffet has had Geno's number. Nan's post does suggest some smidgen of validity, but really only in the context of all other coaches' failures to mount much of a long term threat.

BUT even ND cannot claim a history of owning UConn:

.....Wins ......... UConn........Notre Dame
1996 – 2000....... 11 .................0
2001 – 2008.......10 .................4
2009 – 2012.........8 .................4
2013 – 2018..........7 .................4

........... TOTALS...36................12

It has been an exciting history of memorable games, but even in UConn's "down" periods, it has been dominant-- not unbeatable or immaculate, but still dominant.

Reaction Score
After our loss on Saturday I read a scattering of posts sharing the notion that Muffet has had Geno's number. Nan's post does suggest some smidgen of validity, but really only in the context of all other coaches' failures to mount much of a long term threat.

BUT even ND cannot claim a history of owning UConn:

Wins UConn Notre Dame
1996 – 2000 11 0
2001 – 2008 10 4
2009 – 2012 8 4
2013 – 2018 7 4

TOTALS 36 12

It has been an exciting history of memorable games, but even in UConn's "down" periods, it has been dominant-- not unbeatable or immaculate, but still dominant.
Thought even meant even, but 36-12 is one-sided.

Reaction Score
188-3 (all losses in OT). I'm really confused as to why the sky is falling and all the doom and gloom. I met some amazing people who are fans of other teams at the last two final fours and it's perspective to see some things from the other side.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

View attachment 30361

Wait, are you saying we haven't lost a game in regulation in 5 years? 5 years?

1mj0kf.jpg

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
I've been watching since '93. Can't say I've seen a losing year. We're just too expectant of NCs. I've been to when our kids weren't there. It's fun, but nothing compared to our kids being there!. FF means the best 4 teams in the country play one another. Our women have been there 11 consecutive years. What's to complain about? I'll take Geno and staff over any other coach and staff. I'll take our Huskies over any other. Sure the loss hurt, my only pain is that MM won. I liked her for many years and then she ranted about Geno being "uncivil". So, I put her in the same category as VN. If either never wins again, it's too soon. A simple apology by either would go a long way, but that's not going to happen.

Can't wait for the season to begin again. It'll be a winner!!!! We may not win a NC, but we will have much to cheer for. Then again, there may be a NC, let's keep hoping.

Go Huskies!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

View attachment 30361

By the way Nan, I love your new Jessica avatar, and the show.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
By the way Nan, I love your new Jessica avatar, and the show.
I had to look for a non-threatening avatar, and it took a while. If Eleven gave the Boneyard the creeps, I can only imagine what Jessica in her usual milieu would do.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I wish I could like the OP 10,000X, I would

The reaction and criticism and panic being found around here is surreal. I actually thought our fan base was a tad bit more balanced and informed, but it appears many must think they're entitled to a championship every year.

I just can't comprehend how any negatives can be directed at anybody or anything connected to the program.

Relax, count your blessings, and for the love of life, LEARN HOW TO ENJOY THE RIDE.

Reaction Score
Thanks, Nan. We were just talking about this in my family the other day....."Yes, UCONN DOES lose. Just not much, lately." And in talking with some who were telling me how UCONN wins the championship every year, I told them yes, UCONN has 11 since 1995. That's a whole lot, but it means they've lost the championship more than half the time. They were actually surprised to hear that.

Winning every game, every year, is NOT the way it's supposed to work. When we hear about how UCONN is bad for the game, we reply, "Then get better and beat them!" And when that happens . . . well, it appears we don't like it very much.

Of course, I'm disappointed in how the season ended. I'm a huge fan. But my disappointment is much, much more for the players than for myself. And I'm hoping this Final Four, with its overtimes and all three games going down to the buzzer, bodes well for the future of the sport I love, and that my Huskies will continue to be in the thick of it.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
If I'm doing the math correctly, roughly half of these losses (23/47) came to the old big east teams (BC/ND/RU/SJU/Nova).

So... RIP Big East. That conference was fantastic.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yep, a 2 point loss to ND on 3/12/13.
Another close loss? Auriemma can't win close games.

[It's sarcasm don't get your knickers in bunch.]

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I had to look for a non-threatening avatar, and it took a while. If Eleven gave the Boneyard the creeps, I can only imagine what Jessica in her usual milieu would do.
As Jessica would say, I'll drink to that.

Reaction Score
I've been watching since '93. Can't say I've seen a losing year. We're just too expectant of NCs. I've been to when our kids weren't there. It's fun, but nothing compared to our kids being there!. FF means the best 4 teams in the country play one another. Our women have been there 11 consecutive years. What's to complain about? I'll take Geno and staff over any other coach and staff. I'll take our Huskies over any other. Sure the loss hurt, my only pain is that MM won. I liked her for many years and then she ranted about Geno being "uncivil". So, I put her in the same category as VN. If either never wins again, it's too soon. A simple apology by either would go a long way, but that's not going to happen.

Can't wait for the season to begin again. It'll be a winner!!!! We may not win a NC, but we will have much to cheer for. Then again, there may be a NC, let's keep hoping.

Go Huskies!
Love your comments, but who’s VN? Probably someone obvious, but I can’t figure out who.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom