A reminder about late December to mid-January games… | The Boneyard

A reminder about late December to mid-January games…

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
[Edited to remove comment about the dorms being closed]
The team is between semesters and most of their friends are at home. The kids still have practices and trying to get a jump start on second semester classes. About now, the freshmen are wearing down, the infamous freshman wall. There have been enough games played that all of the bumps and bruises are taking a toll and the kids have no way to distract themselves, stuck as they are on an empty campus. All of the above is wearing the team down.

I’ve been watching the Huskies for almost 30 years and every single year there is at least one awful game and one or two more scares. Part of this is that schools try to fit a lot of games in because they won’t interfere with classroom time. Look at the schedule below. The Huskies have to play in Indianapolis on Jan 3, 4 days from now, then in Cincinnati only 2 days later.

The kids are playing a lot of minutes. For the next several games, I’m good with any kind of win the Huskies can manufacture.

13B037C1-F4EE-4C40-AF66-B651D9574B1D.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The dorms are closed for the winter break so the players are living in a hotel. The kids still have practices and trying to get a jump start on second semester classes. About now, the freshmen are wearing down, the infamous freshman wall. There have been enough games played that all of the bumps and bruises are taking a toll and the kids have no way to distract themselves, stuck as they are in a hotel room.

I’ve been watching the Huskies for almost 30 years and every single year there is at least one awful game and one or two more scares. Part of this is that schools try to fit a lot of games in because they won’t interfere with classroom time. Look at the schedule below. The Huskies have to play in Indianapolis on Jan 3, 4 days from now, then in Cincinnati only 2 days later.

The kids are playing a lot of minutes. For the next several games, I’m good with any kind of win the Huskies can manufacture.

View attachment 82559
They cannot possibly have athlete living in hotels. I’ve never heard of such a thing, is this real?

Reaction Score
They cannot possibly have athlete living in hotels. I’ve never heard of such a thing, is this real?
The campus isn't 100% shut down. Students can stay in the dorms for the winter break. They even still have a dining hall open (South).

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The campus isn't 100% shut down. Students can stay in the dorms for the winter break. They even still have a dining hall open (South).
Then it has changed. The play used to stay in Vernon and you could find them hanging out in the mall in Manchester

Reaction Score
Then it has changed. The play used to stay in Vernon and you could find them hanging out in the mall in Manchester
How many years ago was this? Decades? College basketball has changed quite a bit

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Those of us who have followed this program for a long time remember when the players stayed in a hotel during winter break. Not sure when it changed, maybe 10-15 years ago. Not sure.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The team is between semesters and most of their friends are at home. The kids still have practices and trying to get a jump start on second semester classes. About now, the freshmen are wearing down, the infamous freshman wall. There have been enough games played that all of the bumps and bruises are taking a toll and the kids have no way to distract themselves, stuck as they are on an empty campus. All of the above is wearing the team down.

View attachment 82559
By the way, the schedule is ridiculous. UConn does not play consecutive home games for the remainder of the season.

Thanks Big East.

Reaction Score
Fortunately, Indianapolis to Cincinnati is an easy rode trip. With school mostly lonely, a couple of nights in a hotel shouldn't be a problem. Freshman wall can def be a problem, but our freshman are playing so few minutes, it shouldn't be a problem this year. Still,with the way things have been going this year (injuries, illness, travel issues) I'm going to be happy with any win of any kind... all year! And if we win the NC in an ugly game (see UConn - Stanford) I'll be good with that, too. :)

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Thanks for posting @HuskyNan. Geno often commented in the past that when the players were in the hotel with a lot of down time, it was tough to keep sharp. The rhythm of classes, study time, and practice, all helped with games as the players knew the routine.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I have mixed feelings about this. Out of 200 total game minutes, the 3 bench players only played 9 minutes. And 5 of those 9 came only because Dorka was injured. I can't sympathize with Geno about his players bering tiured, if he won't sub them. How does Ines go from starting one game, to not DNP the next game. The second game CD coached, she was abler to work eveybody in, give the starters some rest. Yes, I know there have been injuries, but at the same time, the more minutes his starters play past their limits, the more susceptible they become to injuries.

In the previous game against Creighton, two and a half days earlier, on the road, with a 30 point lead, the two subs only played 22 minutes.

Reaction Score
I have mixed feelings about this. Out of 200 total game minutes, the 3 bench players only played 9 minutes. And 5 of those 9 came only because Dorka was injured. I can't sympathize with Geno about his players bering tiured, if he won't sub them. How does Ines go from starting one game, to not DNP the next game. The second game CD coached, she was abler to work eveybody in, give the starters some rest. Yes, I know there have been injuries, but at the same time, the more minutes his starters play past their limits, the more susceptible they become to injuries.

In the previous game against Creighton, two and a half days earlier, on the road, with a 30 point lead, the two subs only played 22 minutes.
If UConn had a big lead I bet the bench would have played more, but let's not forget it was a 2 possession game with 7 1/2 minutes left in the game.

Reaction Score
I think the whole team lives in the Apartments on campus, behind the Baseball field. I am sure those are "open"

Reaction Score
The good news is that the next two games are against teams that will allow us to
play our bench more and give the starters a bit of blow.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
If UConn had a big lead I bet the bench would have played more, but let's not forget it was a 2 possession game with 7 1/2 minutes left in the game.
Fair enough, but how does that explain the Creighton game? And the argument is, if the bench had been playing more minutes, and the starters got some in game rest, the Marquette game would not have been that close. Of course, this is pure speculation.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

View attachment 82559
Indeed. After the game with Creighton where this team was running around covering the perimeter, contesting every three, combined with their high minutes due to all the injuries, with the pressure of playing without fouls because of the short bench, and all playing nicked up in some way, you are 100% correct. Physically and psychologically this team has to be exhausted. Also let's not forget. When you see team mate after team mate go down to injury that thought subconsciously weighs on you, no matter the sport, college or professional.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score

Ines has 7 stitches in her forehead and just might have been kept out due to the physicality of play by Marquette for safety reasons.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Fortunately, Indianapolis to Cincinnati is an easy rode trip. With school mostly lonely, a couple of nights in a hotel shouldn't be a problem. Freshman wall can def be a problem, but our freshman are playing so few minutes, it shouldn't be a problem this year. Still,with the way things have been going this year (injuries, illness, travel issues) I'm going to be happy with any win of any kind... all year! And if we win the NC in an ugly game (see UConn - Stanford) I'll be good with that, too. :)
Always preferable, if possible, to kill two road games on one trip. Kill two birds with one stone. This time of year, the fewer road trips the better. This IS NOT a banner year for UConn with most of our players getting hurt at some point, along with an unfriendly schedule. If Aubrey had been available today, this game would not have been nearly as close.

Maybe Geno should try mixing a few cupcakes in his preseason schedule next year. (wink-wink) It's not hurting Kim Mulkey/LSU. :rolleyes: The depth of UConn's reserves will not be a concern beginning next year. Geno will have more than enough healthy and capable players that should come in and adjust quickly enough to gain his trust by the first exhibition game in November.

Note to WCBB.........If you're going to get UConn (Maryland & Notre Dame), you'd better do it THIS year. Next year Geno will probably field the best and deepest team he's ever had. Possibly looking at an undefeated season if his core players can stay healthy and injury free.
The basketball gods have not smiled on UConn this year. Not wanting him to feel left out, they used the flu bug to put Geno out of commission for two games causing CD to pinch-hit for him. As usual, she did an excellent job and kept her perfect record intact. The team responded to her coaching and prodding without blinking or hesitation.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Those of us who have followed this program for a long time remember when the players stayed in a hotel during winter break. Not sure when it changed, maybe 10-15 years ago. Not sure.
I think it's different at various schools. When my granddaughter was at UNLV, she and her roommate (a player on the team) had another player on the team stay with them in their off-campus apartment during the Christmas break when all of the dorms were closed.

Reaction Score

It looks silly to complain about not having enough players and than barely playing them when they become available. Every player could use a minute or two. You don't get bonus points for playing 40 minutes and timeouts are available for players to rest.

Reaction Score
One of my daughters graduated from UConn in 2020 and lived in the Hilltop Apartments (where lots of the student/athletes live). The apartments are open during the semester break.

Her twin sister, though, attend Ithaca College and was on their Cross Country and Indoor/Outdoor Track teams. The dorms closed during the break and students would stay at the off campus apartments of teammates in January before the Spring Semester began.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom